• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Do the Pokemon you use in your fics have any meaning?

There are three revelant characters in the story so far, so actually... Kris is a Persian; I always imagined Persians to be like her in terms of personality - slightly vain, and fairly independent. Caro is a Raichu; he's a bit of a goof, so a Raichu body just fit him a lot. Plus, Raichu is cool.

Helio... you'll find out Helio's reasoning later. :3

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
When I first started the original version of The Quest for the Legends, I drafted out Mark and May's teams by basically giving them some Pokémon that I liked (in G/S/C) while maintaining what I at the time thought was decent type coverage. Thus, they got my two favorite Electric-types (Jolteon and Raichu), my two favorite Water-types (Lapras and Gyarados), my two favorite Earthquake-users (Tyranitar and Sandslash), my two favorite Fire-types (Charizard and Quilava), and then May got a Butterfree (because it was my second favorite Pokémon) and a Skarmory (because I like Skarmory, it was her favorite Pokémon, and I decided she needed something that could use Fly) while Mark got a Dragonite (because I like Dragonite, and hey, I can't go around giving May a pseudo-legendary and not him, right?) and a silly Ice-type legendary I made up. Eventually I realized that legendaries on teams were a really, really stupid idea, so that last one was ditched and replaced with Scyther (who spontaneously became one of my favorite Pokémon by accident while I was writing chapter eleven), but the rest were all obtained so early on that by the time I realized I should really not be going around giving my characters Pokémon like Eevee, Dratini and Larvitar just because I liked them, the harm was already done and I was stuck with them.

Eventually I gave both of them more Pokémon; May got a Ninetales because I had this period of obsession with Ninetales and adding her in resolved some plot issues, a Trapinch because I liked Flygon, and a certain fake Pokémon because she expressed an interest in catching one early in the story, and she never actually got to use her Quilava, instead catching herself a Torchic because it was right for her character to want to do so (ironically, I really dislike the Torchic line). Meanwhile, Mark got Leta, another fake Pokémon, pretty spontaneously; I was mostly just trying to show off the Pokémon and before I knew it I'd made a character out of it and kind of had to let him catch her.

Once Alan came in, he had a Charizard and then five Pokémon of reasonably varied types that I also liked. So yeah, the main characters' Pokémon were mostly chosen because I like them.

Meanwhile, the Gym leaders' (and junior trainers') Pokémon were also planned right as I was starting the story and basically I had this idea that every existing (as of G/S/C) final evolution of the relevant type that could be fully evolved at the levels the Gym leader trained should be found somewhere within the Gym. The types of the Gyms themselves were also planned with respect to this, to make sure that none of the Gym leaders needed to have too many Pokémon that were not fully evolved.

Most other trainers have pretty much the first things I thought of for them.

Bay

Years
Man, it's been a while. XD Been very busy with midterms, work, and other real life stuff.

Hm, interesting on the schooling system. I actually do something like this- If the kids want a trainer education, they can go to school at eight and then at ten get their license. After that, they go to their journey and if they don't like training no more and want to pursue something different, say as a Ruin Maniac, then there are schools for those. Yeah, keeping it simple. :P

How "connected" should/must the Prologue be to the story?
I say they should be connected. You don't want to stray the scene(s) too far away from the main event, whether it be present or future.

On NE, the prologue took place four years before the main plot kicks in...and it took a while till Chapter 18 the events in latter chapters are connected to the plot. :O

Most of the time I would use my favorite Pokemon and Pokemon I think would fit well with the characters, but NE some Pokemon I gave it some thought. For instance, Jenny I gave Tropius for transportation and Vespiquen as I need a bug type for something important, hence why I'll stop here. :X Jacob I have him get Mothim for something important too and Xatu due to him knowing Transport and able to see through both past and future. Lucas I give him a Karila due to her knowing Transport also.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Here's a question for you all:

Have you ever positioned a plot twist so that the only hints it would happen was vague foreshadowing? Bonus points if someone accused you of being random and you proved them wrong.

Ew, I can't type this morning.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years
Have you ever positioned a plot twist so that the only hints it would happen was vague foreshadowing? Bonus points if someone accused you of being random and you proved them wrong.

This would be the entire point of my fic. I havn't yet seen someone call me random though but I know for a fact (by the end of the fic) that it'll all make sense and fit together.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016

As far as the main characters:

Diamond:
-Gallade is a representation of my favorite Pokemon that is not a turtle.
-Empoleon is a representation of my first Starter Pokemon for the DP Games.
-I always thought that Yanmega was a cool looking Pokemon and I had a Yanma on my team in the GSC games.
-I never use Pachirisu or any Pikachu related Pokemon on my actual team, so I thought I should use one.
-Riolu ties in with the story.
-And I believed that Diamond need a sassy, feminine Pokemon who at the same time was troublesome, so I added a female Skuntank

Dawn:
-Infernape is similar to that of a Charlie's Angel XD.

Pearl:
-At one point, Pearl had a Happiny but ended up trading it for Dawn's Staraptor. But anyway, Pearl felt as though female Pokemon did not have the same strength to match up that of a male Pokemon. However, his Happiny ends up being his most physically strong Pokemon.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020

Ooh! A new topic! Anyway, only 1 person reviewed my fan-fiction and nobody called me random. But, there is a huge plot that covers this up behind Neo. He is hiding something, you can tell that.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Yep, I only used that one because chances are somebody's going to accuse MC of being random in the near future.

What is a good length for a one-shot?

Bay

Years
Already did that with NE. What happened was I gave hints of Jacob's departure, but very vaguley. Later on in the later chapters the plot twist came and everyone was shock. ;)

I would say a few pages at most, but it doesn't matter how long or short. It depends on the story and how much ground you want to cover.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

Oh yes. A Midsummer Knight's Dream has a big one coming up (which is partly why I'm taking so long). Additionally, my one-shots, even though they're one-shots, tend to have plot twists to give the ending more of a bang. (His Angel, anyone?)

No one's called me random, unfortunately. It's either they know they're hints but can't figure out how they're hints or they don't realize I'm dropping hints at all. It's a lot of fun.

Depends on how many pages you need to tell a story. I've seen people pull off one-pager stories. (In fact, I've done that before.) Likewise, I've seen people who take more than twenty pages to do it. (Ditto.) And then, you have drabbles, which are 100-word stories (no more, no less), and yes, they're complete and can be pulled off well if you put enough effort into them. (Also have done drabbles.) Point is, there's not really a "good" length. It all depends on what story you're writing and how much detail you're putting into it. Tell the story until it's finished, and there's your length.

'Course, your readers might get up and leave if you, say, write a fanfiction that's over thirty pages long, but then again, I've gotten people to sit through Bloom. So, I wouldn't worry too much over whether or not you'll scare away readers due to length.

Note that this contradicts what I said about prologues slightly. The difference is with a one-shot, you're forced to tell a complete story. With a prologue, the tendency is to rely on the main story to cover up whatever problems the prologue had. So, writing a one-shot tends to be a different ball park because you only have one chance to get the story right.

Blue Screen of Death

Wait, what?
Years

Yes, most of the pokemon in my fics are there for a specific reason. For example, Neal, a Porygon, is used because of Samuel's experiments of Porygon.

Wow, I haven't been here in a looooonnnggg time. Anyways,

One of your characters gets drunk, what did they drink?
Yeah, I'm not gonna answer this one, don't know why...

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years

The beer people: Almost the entire cast of MKD (see below for exceptions) and Veronica.
The wine people: The Trio and Nettle.
Don't drink but end up drunk anyway because someone spiked the punch with vodka/rum/etc. OR they thought that lemonade wasn't hard: Viola and Bill.
Underage and not at this party: Rose.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Hallo everyone! I'm back!
I'm back from Switzerland!

...You did notice I was gone, right...?

...No?

Once again I found out that my English is absolutely horrible. I will never (again) travel to any country with native English-speakers because they would simply die of laughter or something. If they understood I spoke English in the first place. Of course, I'm exaggerating, but I've never been so thankful to written word.

That aside, I had fun. Oh yeah.

In a way, yes. I mean, Radeem is a Rapidash because I felt that being an extremely fast horse that is on fire was best for her character. It really suits her personality, so she's a Rapidash.

Ivysaur is Ivysaur because that Pokémon suited the nature of Adan the best. Ivysaur himself is maybe a bit reckless for a grass type, but I think one strong-willed and pround fire type in one story is enough. So, he's an Ivysaur because it suited Adan.

Pichu is a Pichu as I needed some really cute and stupid character to be my "kid". He's a bit Ash-like, partially because neither Adan nor Cimi could be like that. They're a bit too old to only think about fighting and eating. Pichu, on the other hand, is also very sensitive. I wanted a small boy in my story, and I thought that he would work well in the body of a Pichu. Thus, a Pichu.

In a similar manner, all the Pokémon in my fics got their roles. Also, I use the specific Pokémon of some type because I like them or have some special relationship to them. Jack's Pokémon are my Pokémon from Diamond, for example. Other Pokémon I have a strong liking to are Rapidash, the Pikachu line, the Bulbasaur line, the Shinx line, legendaries from Diamond and Pearl, Vaporeon, Dragonair, Gabite, Skitty... All for reasons I really can't explain. I just like them.

As a side note, I've been dying to have a Skitty appear in one of my fics. My RP character had a Skitty, but that RP died a long time ago. I haven't had the chance to make one appear yet, but I think I will have one as a very important character in a fic soon. Soon. Yeah.

Have you ever positioned a plot twist so that the only hints it would happen was vague foreshadowing?

Why, of course I have. I like hiding behind the trees and then, all of a sudden, attacking my poor readers.

...Those weren't in fanfics, though.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
Years

Lol, my character's Pokemon got drunk and that was from red wine I thnk...

Bay

Years

That actually already happened at NE. At end of Chapter 12, Jacob, Bunny, and Jenny drank wine, although offscreen. Later on in next chapter though, it shows Jacob a bit ditzy and reflecting over one incident with Bunny (no, nothing, bad happened :P).

bobandbill

one more time
Years

Tom - a drunk character in my fic - will drink anything which has alcohol in it. XD

OVER 9000 POSTS IN THIS THREAD!

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!

So sorry, couldn't resist... :3

Uh... *shudders a few times* Caro broke into some dude's house. And found wine. And then he starts to try to electrocute everybody. Or something. *shrugs*

txteclipse

The Last
Years

Latias would probably get mashed on Brandy-filled chocolates. Which isn't a drink, but it can get you drunk. She wouldn't notice the alcohol due to being enraptured by the sweetness.

I don't think I can say how any of my other main characters would get drunk, seeing as they're all underage.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years

For Crowe, it would be whatever was available that would get him drunk the fastest. I've never actually mentioned alcohol in the story, but I think that if Crowe were to drink, it'd be specifically for the purpose of getting drunk and relieving stress. After seeing this question, I'm now thinking about stating in the story that he derived the composition of the ideal hangover remedy scientifically.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
PC, what does the post count say about the Fanfiction Lounge?

It's over NINE THOUSAND!!!!

What?! Over NINE thousand?!

xD

Uhm...they...drank a bottle of non-alcoholic beer at the after-League party. -cough-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back