• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
  • Hey there, flash. Yeah, you've got a good gut feeling about not wanting a bunch of closed fics floating around. Closed fics in general tend to be a bad sign because if you get it closed early, people tend to think you broke one of the rules, rather than that you wanted to work on something else. And, of course, I get the feeling you know a bunch of incomplete fics tends to say something about commitments too, so I'll just leave that alone.

In any case, sure, I can try to pop in for a review. I've been pretty busy lately (and I apologize to the people I've yet to review), but I'm always up for helping out other writers.

Have you ever modified a Pokemon's appearance (Pikachu with black fur, Gastrodon with one horn, etc.) exclusively for your fic?

To be honest, I just use what's in canon because it's easier than having a special Pokémon. Because then it feels like you're flagging it as a Chekhov's gun because otherwise, why would you really feel the need to call so much attention to this one Pokémon if it's not going to do something interesting (that may or may not have anything to do with, for example, the fact that your Gastrodon has only one horn)? Sure, description's a good thing in a fic, but I've just got better things to worry about than making a Pokémon's appearance special.

Besides, I've gotten turned off the idea of making a Pokémon stand out because of appearance. Why? The original black Pikachu. (I've tried, guys. I've really tried to take this fic seriously. It's just not happening.)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Have you ever modified a Pokemon's appearance (Pikachu with black fur, Gastrodon with one horn, etc.) exclusively for your fic?
    I did have a Pikachu with demonic glowing red eyes and black smoke surrounding it. It was, clearly, a special form of Shadow Pokemon.

I played with the idea of replacing the jewel on Lisa's Persian's head with a hood ornament from an '84 Electra Park Avenue, but decided against it, as it is admittedly creepy.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    Have you ever modified a Pokemon's appearance (Pikachu with black fur, Gastrodon with one horn, etc.) exclusively for your fic?

I gave an Onix a large, excruciating gash in his face... and gave a Treecko a tree twig to chew on, but the show did that too.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    With the fiction I'm writing now nothing has been altered in anyway as yet, but I'm sure there will be sometime maybe.

Also, thanks for the welcome once again. Yeah, so far I've beenwriting my first chapter still and it has reached three pages already. Not much as yet, but with my writing I like to write in detail and try to make people visualize what I write! So, I hope you all like it once I get it up and posted. I have two friends around here who have been helping me out here too! It really does feel like a lounge at this spot...lolz!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • That's because this is a lounge, and a crazy one at that, f l a s h. =P Anyways, welcome to you yet again, don't get too insane unless you intend to join the Procrastination Club, and please remember to not step on that dead badger over there. Astinus said she'd do something about it, but it's still there.

...yeah, I'm sleepy, making stuff up (or am I?) and falling into hyper state. Not the Shadow Pokemon Hyper State either, btw.

Well, for my main fic - no. Well, maybe if you count Shadow Pokemon in there, but by Colosseum they are Shadow anyway so I didn't change nothing from the canon, now did I? =P

For a one-shot I did though (yeah, unless you've read it it's spoiler-tastic!):
    Spoiler:

I played with the idea of replacing the jewel on Lisa's Persian's head with a hood ornament from an '84 Electra Park Avenue, but decided against it, as it is admittedly creepy.
    O_O. I'd agree with that statement... would be a bit unsettling. You love those hood ornaments too much.

And what's this about a fic with a black Pikachu? Eh, I'll investigate later when I have time and it's not well after midnight. I.e. not now. -_- And maybe not too soon either. And Xanthine, say something about it. DO IT. =P

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Lounge musical? Seriously?

Anyway, it does feel a lot like a lounge here, that's true.x3 I don't really have anyone to look over my story but me right now.

I've never actually read that story (Pokemon Master), and I honestly don't plan on reading it in the near future; so my thoughts about Pokemon with different appearances are safe for now.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Have you ever modified a Pokemon's appearance (Pikachu with black fur, Gastrodon with one horn, etc.) exclusively for your fic?

Wow...let me think back. I'm pretty sure I haven't. There's pokemon that use weapons/wear armor, but that's not really an alteration of their natural appearance.

Unless you count the hardware-to-wetware interface installed in Mewtwo's spinal cord. It basically looks like a reticulated metal sheath around that spine extension thing going from the base of her skull to between her shoulder blades.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
  • Isn't this fic supposed to be really good and like uber long?
    It's not all that long (so far as I can tell); only thirteen parts.

A lot of people claim it's good, but I don't really share that opinion; I mean, just looking at the Ash fanart made for it cracks me up. "So now Ash is some kind of samurai? *pfft* Ahahaha...."

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • It's not all that long (so far as I can tell); only thirteen parts.

A lot of people claim it's good, but I don't really share that opinion; I mean, just looking at the Ash fanart made for it cracks me up. "So now Ash is some kind of samurai? *pfft* Ahahaha...."

I thought that was a picture of Ruroni Kenshin.

In fact, it is a picture of ruroni Kenshin. I loved that show...

Negrek

Years
  • I thought that was a picture of Ruroni Kenshin.

In fact, it is a picture of ruroni Kenshin. I loved that show...
    Yeah, I know. I meant the fanart more towards the bottom of the page in which Ash *still* looks like a Samurai. Or maybe Ash was just replaced by Ruroni Kenshin in the 'fic itself. I never finished the first chapter, so I can't really say.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Isn't this fic supposed to be really good and like uber long?

...You've never read it, have you? XD

I'll have to agree with Negrek. It's not really uber long. Only thirteen chapters, and even then, the chapters are only at most twenty-five pages or so each.

As for whether or not it's good, people think it is because it was the first Pokémon darkfic on the 'net (and an AAML at that), so they think he's original and edgy. That and I'll have to admit that he's good with description. However, when it comes to logic and characterization, he's all over the place, and the plot is your typical evil-versus-good war with the badass anti-hero protagonist. Only imagine that protagonist being Ash. With the fighting skills of Neo from The Matrix and a random thirst for blood. This is on top of the black-colored Pikachu who can tear apart Golem from the inside. You heard me. Let's also not forget the fact that he's created a Mary Sue (in the form of the Valdera) to accompany the entire parade of canon characters he's turned into a troupe of Mary Sues and Gary Stus.

Previously, when I tried to read it on my own, I only got partway into the second chapter before giving up out of wanting to weep for the WTFery in this fic. However, now, I'm reading it again, and the only reason why I'm getting through it is with the help of Thesis's snarky commentary.

The way I see it, darkfic doesn't have to be like this. Yes, it was the first darkfic in this fandom, but let's face it. You don't have to rape logic and characterization to be dark. Ash Ketchum can still be in a darkfic without wanting to kill every person who looks at him funny.

Also, side question that certainly isn't sprouting from my own frustrations...

Be honest. If you find a fic with chapters only four pages long, do you prefer to sit down and read that as opposed to a fic with chapters ten or more pages long? Also, what's the maximum number of pages you can tolerate before you want to move on to something shorter?

Negrek

Years
  • Be honest. If you find a fic with chapters only four pages long, do you prefer to sit down and read that as opposed to a fic with chapters ten or more pages long? Also, what's the maximum number of pages you can tolerate before you want to move on to something shorter?
    Definitely. I can't read very well on screens, so five or so pages is about as much as I can manage in one sitting. If the 'fic is good, I'm certainly willing to stop reading and come back to it later, but I have to read long chapters in sections. There's no maximum length I have a real *problem* with, but obviously the story has to be good enough that I am willing to go to the trouble to start reading it again after I've dropped off to go do something else.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • ...You've never read it, have you? XD

Nope

It's not really uber long. Only thirteen chapters, and even then, the chapters are only at most twenty-five pages or so each.

let's see... 13 times 25... 325. I'd say thats pretty long for a fan fic. (Although my fan fic looks like its gonna be about 180 pages.

Only imagine that protagonist being Ash. With the fighting skills of Neo from The Matrix and a random thirst for blood. This is on top of the black-colored Pikachu who can tear apart Golem from the inside.

Ash like Neo? Ash liking to kill people? Pikachu tearing apart a Golem from the inside? Do Golem have organs????

Be honest. If you find a fic with chapters only four pages long, do you prefer to sit down and read that as opposed to a fic with chapters ten or more pages long? Also, what's the maximum number of pages you can tolerate before you want to move on to something shorter?

Depends, if the fic looks funny I'll read it, but if it is supposed to be serious or have a story line that they compress into four pages, I would just not read it. If it has a serious story line that takes mental power to figure out, I don't think it should be a one shot.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023

I judge a fic not by its length but by its content. I write long chapters so I prefer to read long chapters too.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Be honest. If you find a fic with chapters only four pages long, do you prefer to sit down and read that as opposed to a fic with chapters ten or more pages long? Also, what's the maximum number of pages you can tolerate before you want to move on to something shorter?

Reading something more than maybe six pages gets a little tedious, so yeah, I'm prone to tl;dr stuff. If I'm absolutely captivated, however, I make exceptions.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years

Well... To be frank: heck yeah. That's my problem, really. There are two reasons behind this problem:
    - First of all, my screen hurts my eyes if I read a lot of text at once. No matter how much dimmer I try to adjust it, it still gives me a horrible headache. It helps, though, if I take my glasses off. *GASP* An-chan has glasses?
    - I have the attention span of a terrier. No, seriously. Only if I read something very, very captivating can I really focus on it. Otherwise, I'll lose my interest in roughly five minutes.

Also, often when browsing trough different fics, I don't have the time to actually read the longest ones. You know, when English isn't my native language, it takes me slightly longer to read those fics than it takes you guys. (Expecially your fics, Xanthine... Do you have to use those kind of sentences I have to read three times to understand? ;_; Although, it's very educative, so don't stop. Just don't expect any reviews from me since I'm always at least four chapters behind...)

So, yeah, I tend to read oneshots and fics with short chapters rather than something with longer consecutive pieces of text. But maximum number of pages? Well, let's say it like this. If I start thinking about other things - expecially if I start wanting to do other things - the chapter is a bit too long for me. That length, of course, is very relative. With some fics, I can read pages and pages without getting tired... And with some fics, it only takes half a page to make me lose my interest. There's no absolute page limit for me, if that's what you're asking.

Lounge musical? Seriously?

Seriously. Ah, those were good times... This place isn't as crazy as it used to be. At least I don't behave as crazily as I used to behave, since someone told me it's freaky. I'm not here to freak out people, you know. I'm here to have some fun and plague you all with my weird ideas (since that totally isn't freaking anyone out).

But the musical? Oh yeah, that brings back good memories. How I wish Astinus would stil post in this thread, too. (I know you read this, Asty! We miss you, come back!)

At one point, I also planned to write a short somedy oneshot about the lounge. I got the inspiration from one certain post here... But then I kind of lost the interest since that fic wouldn't have been good anyway. Instead, I'm focusing on my other comedic, no-good fics! :laugh:

Oh, yeah. *sighs* Just shoot me if I get out of hands.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • let's see... 13 times 25... 325. I'd say thats pretty long for a fan fic.

First off, I said at the very most. =/ Not all chapters even touch that number. In fact, many of them stay under the twenty mark, with the first being only twelve pages. So, it's not 325, really. Twelve to twenty isn't actually long at all, but then again, my chapters tend to be about this range too.

Second, still, there are a lot longer fics out there, especially when it comes to OTs. Many OTs that are kept well (as in, the author doesn't abandon it after a few chapters) go on for at least twenty chapters. (Dragonfree's fic, for example, is past the forty mark, and if I recall correctly, the forty-fifth one is fifteen pages long. There's some short chapters there, however.) Granted, there are some such fics out there that average at five to eight pages per chapter for a grand total of 100 to 160 pages, but still.

Do Golem have organs????

Nah, what happened is Pikachu used a move that allowed it to pass into the Golem's body (a la a ghost) and essentially vibrate it from the inside until it exploded into a shower of rocks. You'd think that's cool until you realize this is Ash's Pikachu we're talking about here.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • Nah, what happened is Pikachu used a move that allowed it to pass into the Golem's body (a la a ghost) and essentially vibrate it from the inside until it exploded into a shower of rocks. You'd think that's cool until you realize this is Ash's Pikachu we're talking about here.

Where have I heard of this being done before...

It's so familiar...

And yet I cant place it...

Bay

Years
    Like Griff, length isn't the issue for me. I read for the content. However, if the chapters are a bit long and I got a lot to do, I would go back to that chapter later.

Hm, I remember I wanted to write a short musical, but then I got extremely busy. -_- I still think we should plan the lounge musical again, though! A SEQUEL! XD

Last note, I might want to read Pokemon MASTER, but just for laughs. XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back