• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2013
@miksy91
Thanks for the ASM tutorial :D
It still doesn't help me how to change class-specific music though :(

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
@miksy91
Thanks for the ASM tutorial :D
It still doesn't help me how to change class-specific music though :(
It's just the thing that will help you achieve doing it. Once you handle the stuff explained in that site, you've got to experiment and look for the routine used for loading the music for different trainer classes.

Years
  • Seen Oct 14, 2020
I'm trying to give pokemon fire red the same start as pokemon yellow (professor oak battles a pikachu, catch it and leads you to his lab) is it possible? if so, can you provide me some commented code/tut? Thanks. :)

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
I was wondering if there is any way to change the tm that a gym leader gives you in pokemon fire red?

You'd just have to edit the gym battle script and alter the line which has the item code by swapping out the item number of the TM they currently give you to a different one. I don't have the list on me right now, but you'd probably be able to find it by searching through one of the larger scripting tutorials. Google can also be your best friend.

I'm trying to give pokemon fire red the same start as pokemon yellow (professor oak battles a pikachu, catch it and leads you to his lab) is it possible? if so, can you provide me some commented code/tut? Thanks. :)

As far as I know, I don't think there is a way to implement your own AI battle scene. You could edit the man with the Weedle and change that to a Pikachu through ASM, or you could swap Weedle and Pikachu's sprites and stats and essentially all their data in the Pokedex for an easier way. But no one is going to write you a code for this.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
3. Does anyone know how to stop the PC from healing your Pokemon when you deposit them?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these.

I don't know anything about the first two you posted, but I just learned that it would require some serious ASM hacking to do #3.

From Bulbapedia:
A Trainer's team starts at the following addresses in the GBA's RAM (for US games?):
Ruby: 0x03004360
Sapphire: 0x03004360
Emerald: 0x02024190, 0x020244EC for US games
FireRed: 0x02024284
LeafGreen: 0x020241e4
Additionally, a wild Pokémon or an opponent's Pokémon will begin at:
Emerald: 0x02024744

There are 6 Pokémon per team, so the whole team continues for 600 bytes afterward.
This structure is used to save data on Pokémon stored in the player's team. The structure for Pokémon saved in the PC stops after the data field, making it only 80 bytes long.
This explains why Pokémon injured by status ailment will cure themselves when put in the PC. It also applies to stats and level, which are recalculated based on Experience.
Thus, there are also 33600 (14*30*80) bytes stored somewhere else in the GBA's RAM to save data on Pokémon in the PC.
When the GBA's saved state (including memory contents) are unzipped into a 740,000+ byte file and viewed, the 14 Boxes of 420 Pokémon are stored in the general region of $038000 $040000.

This just shows that the reason why your Pokémon heal is due to fact that the game just doesn't save those values for Pokémon in your PC.

In order to have it work like in Red where the Pokémon in you box would not heal upon deposit, you would have to completely change the way the game saves. I just started learning ASM and such so I can't help you any more.

Good luck on you other ones though!

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
1. Does anyone know how to change the text that is displayed once you've captured a pokemon and if it's going to be sent to a PC? I don't know the exact text it says, but can you change the text that says something like "Your party is full! Pokemon was sent to Box number here in your PC instead."

2. Does anyone know how to change the events that happen if you black out?

3. Does anyone know how to stop the PC from healing your Pokemon when you deposit them?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these.
For number 1 you could use thingy and do some searching.[Link]

I don't know about number 2, but you could try to look into it with VBA-SDL-H. Very complicated though. You'd basically need to set a bunch of break points and trace things back through the rom.

Number 3 could would require (as stated above) a good amount asm.
You could fake it however by copying those hundred or so bytes into an unused part of the ram and then copying them back out.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years
Does anyone have a list of ACTUAL cry pointers for Gen. III Pokémon in Fire Red, the ones that would play correctly in the ROM when given to another species?
The pointers that are in the Pokémon Game Editor and Cry Pointer Repointer play different cries, for example when I give Pidgeot Wurmple's cry it plays as Carvanha's.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
How does one edit trainer and item sprites in Emerald? The plug-ins for NSE don't support Emerald, so I'm at a loss on how to put some sprites into the game.

Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2013
Hi I was wondering what software would I use to edit the intro to the game like where it says fire red, and there is a charizard.

Also how do you edit the script of a trainer after you finish the battle.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
How does one edit trainer and item sprites in Emerald? The plug-ins for NSE don't support Emerald, so I'm at a loss on how to put some sprites into the game.

Use (U)NLZ-GBA. It's pretty much a universal tool that can find almost any image.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
I have a question about how surf works. In all of the GBA Pokemon games, once you have surf you can simply press 'A' on a surf-able tile and it asks you if you want to or not. However, on my ROM (FR), this does not happen.

There is nothing wrong with surf itself, I can still make it work by using it from the Pokemon menu, and as far as I can tell, all of the behavior byte settings I have are also correct. So did I miss something else necessary for this to work, or does JPAN's hacked engine (which I am using) have something to do with this problem? Those are the only two things I can think of that might be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

karatekid552

Years
I am working on a set of ASM routines that will be able to check what species your lead Pokemon is. I'm pretty new to it, so I need a little help. I dissected the Pokemon data and found how to unencrypt it, with the help of Bulbapedia, but I need a way to find the modular 24 of a reverse dword (the PID).

Let's say my Pokemon's PID is written out in the RAM as 23 45 67 34. I need a way to find the modular 18 (the 24 needs to be in hexadecimal) of 34 67 45 23 while starting out with 23 45 67 34.

So, I basically want to load the original PID into r0, reverse it, find the modular 18, and then write that to LASTRESULT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I've seen in different places the command "bswap". Would this work?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I am working on a set of ASM routines that will be able to check what species your lead Pokemon is. I'm pretty new to it, so I need a little help. I dissected the Pokemon data and found how to unencrypt it, with the help of Bulbapedia, but I need a way to find the modular 24 of a reverse dword (the PID).

Let's say my Pokemon's PID is written out in the RAM as 23 45 67 34. I need a way to find the modular 18 (the 24 needs to be in hexadecimal) of 34 67 45 23 while starting out with 23 45 67 34.

So, I basically want to load the original PID into r0, reverse it, find the modular 18, and then write that to LASTRESULT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I've seen in different places the command "bswap". Would this work?
There are functions you can call in the game which do all these tedious things for you. Which game are you hacking?

Years
I'm a beginner on hacking here, and I've been searching for a solution everywhere for my Advance Mart, PokeTronic, A-Tack problem. I've downloaded like four or three of each from different websites and links and it still says I'm missing or having an invalid file. I found out that Windows7 isn't compatible with some hacking tools, but is there a way I can fix this? Advance Map worked fine for me and so did some others, yet I can't continue hacking until this problem has a solution. If there's no possible way out of this, I can just use another computer, but I can't do that until I find out that this dead end is really a dead end. Thanks.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I have a question about how surf works. In all of the GBA Pokemon games, once you have surf you can simply press 'A' on a surf-able tile and it asks you if you want to or not. However, on my ROM (FR), this does not happen.

There is nothing wrong with surf itself, I can still make it work by using it from the Pokemon menu, and as far as I can tell, all of the behavior byte settings I have are also correct. So did I miss something else necessary for this to work, or does JPAN's hacked engine (which I am using) have something to do with this problem? Those are the only two things I can think of that might be wrong.

JPAN's hacked engine disables all behaviour byte ASM/scripts. You need to manually re-add the necessary scripts or ASM.

karatekid552

Years
I'm having issues connecting soul silver to wifi any suggestions

You do realize this is a Rom hacking simple question thread, right? So, next time, try a different thread, but I guess everyone does deserve an answer. If you're on an original DS, I've found that only basic WEP security works. If you're on a newer DS, I can't help you. If your on an emulator, which makes sense as Rom Hacking is a category of emulation, I don't believe there is a way to connect to wifi, not yet at least. I've been seeing different GBA servers and such, but none for DS.

There are functions you can call in the game which do all these tedious things for you. Which game are you hacking?

The way I was planning on doing it, it could be ported to any game just by changing the offsets. However, I had first wanted to implement it into Ruby.

Last edited:

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years

Maybe those are script in behavior bytes... :/ Maybe this could help; http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=211598 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back