• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
Man that sucks hearing that from you guys :P But I was able to make a one tile mountain from the two tile so I'll see if I can make both types work out in my hack. I'm not changing since I've tried to find many solutions.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Anyone looked into changing the Pokédex graphics? I'd love to replicate HGSS's one in FireRed.

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
Years
Anyone looked into changing the Pokédex graphics? I'd love to replicate HGSS's one in FireRed.

You mean like this?

milotic.png

I do like it - it's so neat, sleek and sexy.
Maybe I'll try to replicate it, or atleast make a similar spin on it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 26, 2020
Hey, I've been inspired to start ROM hacking by this website/all the hacks people have made, and I was wondering if anyone could help me start off or point me in some sort of direction/give me advice or something? I'm basically just an absolute beginner with some spare time.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
So I posted this in another website:
I've been thinking of something, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea, so I would really like to get feedback on it.
So at some point in my hack's story (which has two teams), they're arguing about you, I still haven't worked much on that, but I will eventually (probably there's a brainwashing machine or something), and the fight gets heated, and it ends up being the team leaders battling. Now, the outcome of that will greatly affect the story, probably for about two gym's length, and a bit after. Now this is what I need feedback, I was wondering if it would make sense, and wouldn't anger anyone playing if the outcome of the scene would be determined using the random XSE command. Like, the screen goes black while they battle, and depending on the random, the screen goes back and you can tell who won by the sprites. The winner, obviously, gets the player. Now there's something I see wrong in this, it's that the player might not like the outcome, but I can fix that by putting a warning before the script that mentions that it will happen randomly, or somewhere in the hack thread. If not, then I could put a yes/no box which lets the player choose who they wanna help, but the problem is, they're arguing on who brainwashes you, and no one wants to willingly get brainwashed. Feedback on this would really be appreciated, thank you.

So, my question is, what do you guys think about stories that have different outcomes depending on "random"? Is it a good idea, or bad idea, or you're indifferent to it?

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Hey, I've been inspired to start ROM hacking by this website/all the hacks people have made, and I was wondering if anyone could help me start off or point me in some sort of direction/give me advice or something? I'm basically just an absolute beginner with some spare time.

Check out the Tools, Tutorials and Resources section, there are tools and tutorials on almost everything, plus useful directories. If you still need help or have questions you may post a thread in the Beginner's Lounge sub-forum.

So I posted this in another website:

So, my question is, what do you guys think about stories that have different outcomes depending on "random"? Is it a good idea, or bad idea, or you're indifferent to it?

Why not have more interaction/choices when encountering both teams? At the battle, the winning team could be the one you've had the most/better interaction with. I wouldn't enjoy a random outcome in the story, especially out of only two possible ones.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Why not have more interaction/choices when encountering both teams? At the battle, the winning team could be the one you've had the most/better interaction with. I wouldn't enjoy a random outcome in the story, especially out of only two possible ones.

I actually had not thought about that, that is a great idea! Thank you :D
I guess that will require some more scripting, but it'll be worth it in the end :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I quite like a bit of random! Remember, if it's not clear that its random then the player won't think they're missing out on anything. Christos' idea sounds good for important things like that, but elements of randomness in side quests or small details makes each run-through a new experience. imo ^_^.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
So what do you guys think when hackers change moves around? Like in my case, make quick attack have a chance to raise your speed, or beat up affected by king's rock (hax, hax everywhere)

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
Quick Attack yes. But King's Rock hax all day....o.o

I don't personally mind, as long as they don't overpower it.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Which generation of starters would you prefer in a hack? And if you're not a fan of existing starter trios in hacks, what if they had mega evolutions available? (custom for gens 2, 4, 5, 6) Assume mega evolutions have been implemented in hacks and are mainstream.

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
Years
Which generation of starters would you prefer in a hack? And if you're not a fan of existing starter trios in hacks, what if they had mega evolutions available? (custom for gens 2, 4, 5, 6) Assume mega evolutions have been implemented in hacks and are mainstream.

I prefer using all the generation of starter. I guess because I know there people who prefer different gen, so by doing this you can cater to their likes.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
I prefer using all the generation of starter. I guess because I know there people who prefer different gen, so by doing this you can cater to their likes.

How would you go about doing that in the game though? Having the player choose between 9 different pokémon seems like too much for me.

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
Years
How would you go about doing that in the game though? Having the player choose between 9 different pokémon seems like too much for me.

Well, I probably do a quiz like script, which depending on the player choice, pair them with a correct starter. I could also just put categories, like for example, kanto, and the player just choose one of three from the region they pick.

Back