• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I don't like actual starters as starters in hacks. I like something original :p

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    This has probably come up a million times before, but how do you actually make use of JPAN's Hacked Engine?

I wondered that myself, but after reading the document it comes with (from top to bottom XD) and reading some tutorials such as Metapod's OW adding I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.

It provides a lot of different scenarios, I got a tonne of ideas just looking at the new specials he has included.

Years
  • I've played around with it a bit more and starting to get it, but one thing, how do I restore behaviour byte 0x20? It's supposed to let the hero stand in front of the block but I'm pretty sure the hacked engine wipes it all out so it doesn't work.

Years
  • That's the background byte 20, not behaviour byte. And it definitely works with the engine for me.

That's what I meant. Hmm, I'll have to have a play with it. By the by, have they got swapping the hero sprite nailed yet? I remember seeing a video where they used ASM to swap the hero overworld, but am unsure if it is public.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    That's what I meant. Hmm, I'll have to have a play with it. By the by, have they got swapping the hero sprite nailed yet? I remember seeing a video where they used ASM to swap the hero overworld, but am unsure if it is public.

Pretty sure there's a tutorial for that in the word document that comes with JPAN's Engine.

Soooo lets do that thing where we share our misery - the thing that happens far too often in ROM hacking, if you're not paying attention...

Anyone messed up lately? Corrupted a sprite, destroyed their ROM, somehow dismantled any semblance of normality?

This is what I managed to do by accidentally pointing some OWs to 900000 rather than 090000 :(. Simple mistakes are a *****.
    28a42ys.png

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I'm somehow able to constantly corrupt the first few dozen bytes at the very beginning of the ROM (which is the reason hacks won't boot when they reset) from just going about my business. It seems to happen a few times a month when I'm hacking often. I can't seem to find the source of the problem, but the fix is super easy, so I just live with it.

By the way, for those wondering, the fix is to just open your ROM and a clean one in a hex editor, compare the clean bytes with the changed ones, and write the correct bytes back into your ROM. Then it'll boot right back up, good as new!

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2015
    Only all the time, Magic! I almost never see it as it happens though for lack of paying attention again.

I just have to backup like it's nobody's business. ._____.

To pose my own question though, what ideas do people in here have in regards to changing the normal gender/character selection routine?

I'd like to steer away from the cisnormative boy/girl choices that you're presented with in the original games.

Giving the player a few avatars to choose from and simply not denoting their gender seems like a simple way to go, but I'm worried that might feel a little clunky. And then you also have to idea of allowing the player choose their appearance on a single feature basis (hair, face .etc) but while that wouldn't be impossible, it'd certainly be a big job getting it fully functional.

What do you think? How might you go about it?

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    I wanted to ask a question here about my rom hack. What do you think would be a better choice: New tiles or the standard FireRed tiles? I've been stressing about this forever and I can't figure out what people would like more. What do you guys think?

DarkenedEclipse

Project Oak
    Years
  • I wanted to ask a question here about my rom hack. What do you think would be a better choice: New tiles or the standard FireRed tiles? I've been stressing about this forever and I can't figure out what people would like more. What do you guys think?
    New tiles would make it more interesting :)

~Justified~

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    Ok thank you. I'm really bad at putting tiles in so I'll have to look for help with that if I decide to use new tiles.

Another question...should I add the fairy type to my game or not? Just want people's opinions on these topics so I know what I should and shouldn't do in my games. Thanks:)

DarkenedEclipse

Project Oak
    Years
  • Ok thank you. I'm really bad at putting tiles in so I'll have to look for help with that if I decide to use new tiles.

Another question...should I add the fairy type to my game or not? Just want people's opinions on these topics so I know what I should and shouldn't do in my games. Thanks:)
    Might be a good idea... By the way what sprites do you need help inserting? I'm currently inserting pokemon front sprite from gen IV & V into firered for a rom hack for a friend

Renegade

Time for real life...
    Years
  • Just an FYI...
    Magic Guard said:
    I've been stressing about this forever and I can't figure out what people would like more.
    You shouldn't worry about what others think about your tile choices - if you create a hack specifically for the Internet, you will end up hating what you create. You'll also most likely lose your motivation to hack very quickly (trust me, I've been through this more times than I care to remember).

I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't ever ask what people would like to see (for instance, if you don't care either way and just need help deciding), but you should go with what you enjoy/like looking at over what others like (you're the one that's going to be looking at the hack for months - not everybody else).

~Justified~

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    Might be a good idea... By the way what sprites do you need help inserting? I'm currently inserting pokemon front sprite from gen IV & V into firered for a rom hack for a friend

I have all of the sprites from the DS Style 64x64 Sprite Resource. I was hoping just to update the Pokemon sprites from Generations 1-3, maybe adding some new Pokemon from Generation 4 as well, though I will need to read some more tutorials on how to add new Pokemon without replacing any of the old ones before that happens.

So right now I just need to insert the sprites for Pokemon from Generations 1-3. I can usually insert them myself but I occasionally get errors with UNLZ so I thought I'd look for someone to insert them with me so I could speed up the process a little bit.

You shouldn't worry about what others think about your tile choices - if you create a hack specifically for the Internet, you will end up hating what you create. You'll also most likely lose your motivation to hack very quickly (trust me, I've been through this more times than I care to remember).

I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't ever ask what people would like to see (for instance, if you don't care either way and just need help deciding), but you should go with what you enjoy/like looking at over what others like (you're the one that's going to be looking at the hack for months - not everybody else).

Thank you. I've tried to get new tiles before, because there are some tilesets I really like, but I just always get errors with them & it always seems like the problems I get for all the time I put into it outweigh all the good I would get from new tiles.

For now I think I'll be using the standard FireRed tiles, thank you for your post, made me feel better for not using new tiles like a lot of games do. I'll remember your advice!:)

DarkenedEclipse

Project Oak
    Years
  • I have all of the sprites from the DS Style 64x64 Sprite Resource. I was hoping just to update the Pokemon sprites from Generations 1-3, maybe adding some new Pokemon from Generation 4 as well, though I will need to read some more tutorials on how to add new Pokemon without replacing any of the old ones before that happens.

So right now I just need to insert the sprites for Pokemon from Generations 1-3. I can usually insert them myself but I occasionally get errors with UNLZ so I thought I'd look for someone to insert them with me so I could speed up the process a little bit.
    I can do front sprites very easily for generations 1-3 back sprites may be a little eh though.. I'm inserting gen 4-5 on a firered rom now... I can also do a gen 1-3 just for you if you would like

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    In my hack I'm using slightly altered Fire Red graphics, as I'm a fan of the style and there are a lot of tiles/resources that I can use. That, plus I find using a different style is hard to pull off. I'm pretty happy with my current graphical style.

mcDkSnF.png

Last edited:

~Justified~

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    In my hack I'm using slightly altered Fire Red graphics, as I'm a fan of the style and there are a lot of tiles/resources that I can use. That, plus I find using a different style is hard to pull off. I'm pretty happy with my current graphical style.

mcDkSnF.png

I'm a fan of the standard tiles as well, if I make any changes they'll probably be rather small, like a few new buildings or natural structures, and maybe a very slightly altered palette. I like your graphic style btw, it looks nice.

I can do front sprites very easily for generations 1-3 back sprites may be a little eh though.. I'm inserting gen 4-5 on a firered rom now... I can also do a gen 1-3 just for you if you would like

That'd be great! Any help is greatly appreciated, if you are sure about helping just shoot me a pm or vm later and I'll send you the stuff I need help with. I'll be sure to credit you for your work:)

Years
  • Hello everyone! Im doing a Polemon fire red ROM hack and I am having some trouble with my title screen. I've looked at so many different tutorials and I follow them to a T, but once I input my ROM hack name, then the start the ROM, it goes all white and the only thing you can see is my ROM title name. Any help would be lovely or even repointing me to the right place to ask this. I'm new so I'm not very good at navigating through threads, but I'll try my best. Thanks.(:

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Hello everyone! Im doing a Polemon fire red ROM hack and I am having some trouble with my title screen. I've looked at so many different tutorials and I follow them to a T, but once I input my ROM hack name, then the start the ROM, it goes all white and the only thing you can see is my ROM title name. Any help would be lovely or even repointing me to the right place to ask this. I'm new so I'm not very good at navigating through threads, but I'll try my best. Thanks.(:
    Try making a thread in the Beginner's Lounge and giving us a few more details. What program are you trying to open your ROM in? Which tutorials are you following?

~Justified~

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to edit the intro with Professor Oak at the beginning of FireRed (Where you name your character and stuff) I wanna change what he says, and I also want to change the introduction that shows up before that (the part explaining how to play the game). Does anyone know how to do this?

Back