• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
  • Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to edit the intro with Professor Oak at the beginning of FireRed (Where you name your character and stuff) I wanna change what he says, and I also want to change the introduction that shows up before that (the part explaining how to play the game). Does anyone know how to do this?

Refer to chrunch's post above yours~

Years
  • I'm trying to open the rom in unLZ-GBA, and I'd post a link to the tutorial, but i have to post at least 15 times in order to posts links, but it's made by the creator of Pokemon Ultra Violet.

and I tried posting the exact same question on the beginner's Lounge, but it was removed for being irrelavent.. So I have no idea what to do..

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I'm trying to open the rom in unLZ-GBA, and I'd post a link to the tutorial, but i have to post at least 15 times in order to posts links, but it's made by the creator of Pokemon Ultra Violet.

and I tried posting the exact same question on the beginner's Lounge, but it was removed for being irrelavent.. So I have no idea what to do..

It's irrelevant if you're posting it in another thread, where someone is asking a specific question and is expecting answers. If you have any questions or need any help create a new thread in the Beginner's Lounge, please.

Years
  • It's irrelevant if you're posting it in another thread, where someone is asking a specific question and is expecting answers. If you have any questions or need any help create a new thread in the Beginner's Lounge, please.

With all do respect sir, when I read the thread, it sated that if it was about basic ROM hacking, any question could be asked. I didn't quote anyone and mislead them in any way to alter the thread to confuse anyone asking other questions. I simply had a basic ROM question and i was directed to this thread. Every time I ask a question, i get removed and re-pointed to ask again,to be removed and re-pointed backwards. I really mean no disrespect, but if i'm posting irrelevantly, could you kindly point me in a direction where I won't get told to go post somewhere else? I just want help and all the re-pointing and removals are making it really hard. I'm all for going to the correct place for asking questions, but I just keep getting re-pointed and it's hard to ask a question when everyone says"Go post somewhere else" or "This isn't the right thread, go post here" then I post the same question there and I get told the same thing.. I'll gladly post where ever it is relevant, but it seems at this point, I can't find that thread... and if I create a new thread, I will most likely get told that that threads been made already so just look it up.. And when I look it up, and ask, I get removed.....

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    With all do respect sir, when I read the thread, it sated that if it was about basic ROM hacking, any question could be asked. I didn't quote anyone and mislead them in any way to alter the thread to confuse anyone asking other questions. I simply had a basic ROM question and i was directed to this thread. Every time I ask a question, i get removed and re-pointed to ask again,to be removed and re-pointed backwards. I really mean no disrespect, but if i'm posting irrelevantly, could you kindly point me in a direction where I won't get told to go post somewhere else? I just want help and all the re-pointing and removals are making it really hard. I'm all for going to the correct place for asking questions, but I just keep getting re-pointed and it's hard to ask a question when everyone says"Go post somewhere else" or "This isn't the right thread, go post here" then I post the same question there and I get told the same thing.. I'll gladly post where ever it is relevant, but it seems at this point, I can't find that thread... and if I create a new thread, I will most likely get told that that threads been made already so just look it up.. And when I look it up, and ask, I get removed.....

As I've already told you in the post before, it's okay to create a new thread in the Beginner's Lounge section.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021

Click here to make a new thread in the Beginner's Lounge. That should solve your problem. :)

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
    Years
  • Yeah it does, and after finding all the cool thing that had been discover in your absent. :D

Yeah it's crazy. I stopped hacking around the beginning of this year and now that I'm back I realized how outdated my hack became haha.

b0f7cfcc27.png

:( :( :(
    What's going on

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Yeah it's crazy. I stopped hacking around the beginning of this year and now that I'm back I realized how outdated my hack became haha.

b0f7cfcc27.png

:( :( :(
    What's going on

IT'S THE GOVERNMENT MAN!!!

Haha, anyways, trying to bring some activity into here... Just how nooby were you guys when you started hacking? Would you always ask for help, or try to achieve things on your own? I did a bit of both, even though I don't like admitting it XD

Last edited:
    Years
  • Question-
    Is it possible to give already existing pokemon new types?
    Also, Is it possible to give pokemon new mega forms with roms?

Example. Psychic/Dark Mewtwo. (Either new typing or mega form).

Just thought that would be cool. ^.^

SK3

Years
  • IT'S THE GOVERNMENT MAN!!!

Haha, anyways, trying to bring some activity into here... Just how nooby were you guys when you started hacking? Would you always ask for help, or try to achieve things on your own? I did a bit of both, even though I don't like admitting it XD

Haha.

I was pretty nooby when I first started, still am when it comes to specific things lol. I was one of those dudes who tried to build a team and get everybody else to do everything for me because I didn't want to learn myself when I first started. but I quickly released how bad that mindset was

SK3

Years
  • Question-
    Is it possible to give already existing pokemon new types?
    Also, Is it possible to give pokemon new mega forms with roms?

Example. Psychic/Dark Mewtwo. (Either new typing or mega form).

Just thought that would be cool. ^.^

Both are possible although new typing is waaaay less complicated.
    Just use a Pokemon editor to change the type.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Magic gives mouth-to-mouth to thread

If I look back at how I was when I started hacking, I can see that certain skills have progressed and my style of ROM hacking has shifted slightly.

One of the main things that has changed, thinking back to my first attempt or two, is hex-editing. I was hella scared of it at first, back when I was editing the intro speech byte-by-byte - these days, Hex Editing is pretty much second nature and I don't mind fiddling around. In fact, I quite like making changes using tools and then looking back at the hex to see what happened :<.

What obstacle have you overcome/how have you changed since you started hacking?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    So what do you guys do to make gyms? This thing is really giving me some trouble haha.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Puzzle ideas are hard to come up with since you have to keep it related to a certain pokémon type. There are plenty other opportunities for complex puzzles in my hack, so for gyms I just go for a unique design depending on the type of the gym, Ground Gym resembles the interior of a pyramid and the Bug Gym is an abandoned Durant nest, so basically a larger ant nest.

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2015
    Is there a list anywhere that counts the number of unique tiles that make up the exterior of each major Battle Frontier structure?

firekoopa

Combat the Infinite
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2020
    I, uh, went through with making a sprite of some sort, and I used Red's standard sprite as reference. In my opinion, it looks a tad gray and boring. Oh wells.

I just want a quick opinion or something. :1

gUdbSfV.png

(Also, when it starts glowing white and shrinking up, there is some sort of black noise... I'm not sure what that is supposed to be...)

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I think it looks pretty good.. but it doesn't really fit the style in my opinion

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I, uh, went through with making a sprite of some sort, and I used Red's standard sprite as reference. In my opinion, it looks a tad gray and boring. Oh wells.

I just want a quick opinion or something. :1

gUdbSfV.png

(Also, when it starts glowing white and shrinking up, there is some sort of black noise... I'm not sure what that is supposed to be...)

The shading isn't right, and the colors are a bit dull. Brighten it and shade it like Red is shaded and it should be much better, and fit in much more easily. OR you could change the background to something that makes it work. Your choice!

I sort of came up with an interesting topic to possibly discuss. Is there anything you think that GameFreak did wrong in the Pokemon games that you wouldn't repeat in your ROMHack? Either story or mechanics-wise?

I personally think that the Pokemon games don't really give a sense of "this could be a real world" in the stock games we get. People don't move around or seem to have lives of their own. Towns don't all have attractions or places the townspeople would want to go and eat or something. Now, much of this could be considered a victim of the scaled world we're forced to play in. Kalos was a BIG step up in this direction, as Lumiose is pretty huge, and even little towns have boutiques and cafes and hotels. But even Kalos doesn't feel as alive as it should be.

What about you guys? What has Game Freak done wrong that you don't want to repeat in your own hack?

Back