• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Graphics Discussion

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Discuss anything that has to do with what something/someone looks like in HG/SS, or what you'd like. Characters, overworld tiles... and so forth.

Post your opinions.We already know that hgss is going to be 3D but you think that they should make it 3D.
Example:
I personally prefer the none 3D look because the trees get all messedup and I don't mean overlaps I mean extra pixles that make things look weird (like at the top of trees by the point).

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Funny how you should mention the trees, because it seems like the trees got a downgrade in HGSS. They're flat. The trees in D/P/P were made up of three separate layers, so you'd see the parallax as they scroll across the screen.

Maybe they thought it was unnoticeable, so they got rid of the extra polygons so they could use them for the grass or something.

As for the GenIV art style, I think it's perfect. I wouldn't want the games to be any more 3d than they are.

Mitchman

Banned
Years
No the trees aren't flat. If they were then it would be strange.I mean the whole 2D angle shows that they are as if you move closer they look bigger. I mean that would be the case no?

Years
Not necessarily. Think of them as cardboard cutouts inside a 3d environment. They'll still get bigger/smaller; they just won't show any depth:

hgsstrees.png

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
metal mario means that the dpp trees have three layers that all move in 3D but the hgss trees only have one.

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
Years
I think the 3D style is great, if they took it too far it would kind of not seem like a handheld pokemon game, it would be too modernized. Some things should remain 2D like the people, water, grass (not tall grass).

TheAliveTrain

I love *splashes* Magikarps
Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2009
3D is cool, think of the Windmills (or whatever it is called) in DPPt, or, if you've seen the news, the new HG/SS PokéMart sign. They're just amazing.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
As for the GenIV art style, I think it's perfect. I wouldn't want the games to be any more 3d than they are.
I agree with this.

One thing though, are you people sure that whole business with the trees and depth in HG/SS isn't due to simple early Beta designs?

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Sep 1, 2016
I love the 3D take on it.

While I was playing through Crystal again, I felt confused by the lack of background movment.

I also want to know what this would look like on the Wii. Not to make a new franchise, but just to know (don't hurt me).

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
Years
It seems to take more advantage of the DS's graphics. One example that the grass has more depth to it. Also the cutscene with Ho-oh.

I'm all for more advanced graphics.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
I really don't pay much attention to trees while playing the game>_>. I think that how much 3d it has now is just enough and I don't want a lot of 3d elements in the game.

Fantomix

^^^^^^^^^
Years
I don't think the trees should be what they are. I liked the tree styles in the original GS, what with the whole pine-tree-ness :P. Especially after Kyledove pointed it out. The big fat green trees just seem... out of place in Johto.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
The graphics, they have been actually doing more with the graphics this time with the remakes than they had done with DPPt. For starters, the basic 2D and 3D combination works perfect for the game, and isn't anything I would personally complain about. On the topic of the trees, whether it be skinny, fat, tall, or shot they still have a good appearance to me. Trust me, if you don't like these you really wouldn't like to see what else can be done, and yes it could even get worse. In my opinion though, I don't mine any of the trees how they look with the touch of 3D, as it isn't something majorly affecting my game play. It looks decent enough and it is just there for its story and show, so nothing much is to say about it on my part.

As for the bag, it was shown that Gold was standing when the players view their bag. Now, this doesn't happen to be my favorite scene of the 3D use because it really did not look all too well in display. However, I can see that Game Freak is really trying to bring the 3D look to the games more and since this is basically a first time try out, I don't think it was done terribly. It is something tried and I think it'll work out fine. My favorite use with the 3D design would have to be the cut scenes with Lugia and Ho-Oh. This actually shows motion and the way the distributed Ho-Oh and how it flies actually turned out very well. Not much motion was shown with that of Lugia, but it still came out with a nice touch. I'd like to see more 3D effect take part in the game, because so far nothing seems terribly. Except, my only nitpick is the grass and its depth that someone mentioned earlier. It did become a little too extended in thickness with the use of 3D, but I think I'll be able to live as it is basically only the grass we walk through.

Ayselipera

Plus when I play I don't really notice trees and grass. I look more at the buildings.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
The Graphics in these games r gonna be awsome just look at this:
output-1.gif

(give creadit if your gonna use dat image cuz i did it

Youji

Game Designer
Years
The Pokecentres in D/P/Pt were annyoing me because if you go in, there was always one single orange pixel which was totally missplaced (it's directly above the door and doesn't look very well). I prefer the style of D/P/Pt anyway but to be honest, I could also live with it if the overworld would be 2D ;D I mean a remake of G/S is everything I wanted xD

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
though there were mistakes in dp/pt they were marginal remember they are only just starting to use 3D in handhelf form so its still a pretty new area

Back