• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Graphics Discussion

Pokedra

Retired
Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    The new water tiles are really nice, much better then DPPt.

As for the grass, it's decent. I reckon they could do better to be honest.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I can see nintendo doing something like XD for wii. They released a Pokémon Game for Wii not long ago, a 3D one (Melee Pokémon Scramble). The only problem is, Pokémon may be in the end of the line...

What exactly makes you say that?

Alright, the thing about graphics is that they are used for the game's basic set up. They make the look of the game, and they make it to appeal the fans of the games. There is a limit to where all of this can stand in one system. HeartGold and SoulSilver seem to be taking advantage of what the DS and DSi can do, and more than likely it is for the sale of the games to attract more of the old and new fans. However, just because there are a few slip ups, and nothing may be as perfect wouldn't mean it is the end of the road for Pokémon. This will only come when the company is losing fandom and losing money to where it makes no sense to continue. So, Pokémon isn't at the end of line because of the new 3D graphics, it is only stepping up for what may come in the future.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Merged thread comparing the new HG/SS and 'old' D/P/Pt grass/water tiles with the graphics thread.

Huzzah for comparisons. I quite like the water... looks really good. The grass... also seems all right to me, really - maybe not the greatest but I like it - and it kinda makes grass patches look like a giant patch of grass instead of individual clumps seperated by gaps...

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
  • Merged thread comparing the new HG/SS and 'old' D/P/Pt grass/water tiles with the graphics thread.

Huzzah for comparisons. I quite like the water... looks really good. The grass... also seems all right to me, really - maybe not the greatest but I like it - and it kinda makes grass patches look like a giant patch of grass instead of individual clumps seperated by gaps...
    I agree

Before it just looked like a large amount of tiny patches that nothing could hide in. Here a group of the patches looks like a large bush (something a Pokemon could actually hide in), which I think fits a lot more.

fwice

Mewtwo Lover
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 14, 2009
    the quality of the leaked pics is fine with me lol G/S/C were my favs growing up

Pan!ko

vibratingcat XD
    Years
  • I like the water more then DPPt. The grass I don't prefer either, i just like the fact its something new. If it was the same it would be kinda boring, like playing through a new area in DPPt even if the character is differant. Differant tiles makes it a newer game.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    the quality of the leaked pics is fine with me lol G/S/C were my favs growing up

The pictures given here are not classified as leak. They were given out through official comic magezine, Coro Coro. If it were leaked, then it would be given out be secret or slipped information. However, this news was given out purposely and not accidentedly.

For the grass, in my opinion, I like hte idea of it being shown more of a large bush rather than patches. It does seem to be more realistic in which a ton of Pokémon can easily hide within and roam about. However, I guess it is just a different personal opinion for everyone. As some may think it is more unique in a fitting way where it doesn't give off the impression of simple square patches. While for others, they may think it was a bit overdone and too large or thick. For me, it is okay, I'm sure to get used to it as time passes, and it'll eventually sync in. Though, it'll be interesting to see the PokéGear make a return for the fourth generation games and be placed within the remakes. Then, I would like to see how well the grass plays out not looking so much like square patches but as a whole. Nevertheless, I'm sure it'll work out in some way or the other.

Johnnyboi

Street Pokéster
    Years
  • The new grass is AWESOME, the new water is AWESOME!

The art and graphics-style of pokémon is finally starting to peak again! It went downhill from R/S and forward imo.

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
  • I think the whole 3D thing would just take away extra space that could be used for better things (including Kanto in there for one). The way they have it is okay as long as they eventually work out the kinks, but making it fully 3D is unnecessary and might even take away from good parts of the game :/

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    I think the whole 3D thing would just take away extra space that could be used for better things (including Kanto in there for one). The way they have it is okay as long as they eventually work out the kinks, but making it fully 3D is unnecessary and might even take away from good parts of the game :/

Newer DS carts have much more memory and space than the ones used for D/P/PT, so it being fully 3D is possible without taking away from the other aspects ,like Kanto. Why do you think Gamefreak would take Kanto out in the first place? This game's a remake , not 5th gen or spinoff.

I love the new grass and the water, however, because it adds to the realism of not having just mere patches of grass ,but fields of grass, and the water majorly improved..

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    Silver's New Sprite Discussion

Guys I found a new Silver Sprite on the official Japanese Nintendo Site.

New, they edited it to make it look like his artwork. (Also Gold has a new backsprite)

Graphics Discussion

Old, he looks kinda of childish.

Graphics Discussion

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2024
    Is it sad that I'm really glad they fixed gold's hair? Before he had these two weedy bangs of hair that looked lame..

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • More in the way of posts being on the topic itself needs to happen, you guys. =/

Merged thread on Silver Sprite with this pre-existing Graphics thread - also because a thread just on one sprite on a character we know is comig back anyways and all won't really generate that much discussion soon wither. =/

Not to mention that pic has been around for more than a day as well, easily.

I like the new one though - kinda expected a newer one (it did kinda scream 'beta' and all, and beta info comes out all the time), and it's certainly better. Reflects the artwork more, and just looks... better. (And the hair as well, I might add).

TheAliveTrain

I love *splashes* Magikarps
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2009
    The new one is the artwork, or it seems like. Although, I like the new one better

Back