• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon: Shimmering Tempest

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Pokémon: Shimmering Tempest

…The Sun may be beaming over the hilltops, but there is a Storm brewing beyond the waves…

Hack Base: Pokémon FireRed

There have always been monsters in the world. As they roamed the Pre-Historic Earth man learnt to live with a multitude of beasts, fulfilling both medial daily chores and spilling the blood of adversaries in horrific and gruesome combat. Side-by-side, man and monster have stood fast in the face of countless hardships, making the best of the land and oceans to achieve greatness and unbreakable bonds forged in iron and friendship.

However, there have always been Pokémon who shun man, refusing to be domesticated and have their wills broken by what is always considered to being the dominating force in the affiliation. Hiding away, any attempt to reach such monsters has always been in vain, whether it is due to the circulated stories of ancient and uncontrollable power, or the sheer inability to traverse the realms of the most powerful monsters ever seen.

They used to crouch in wait, apprehensively expecting the spawn of benevolent men to snatch the coveted freedom, power and courage they possess, harnessing it as their own.

…Now they scamper in fear…

As day dawns on the fertile lands of Lowen, the Winds are shifting in the cool autumn breeze, and the Heavens are fading behind the dreaded clouds of ill fortune's discontent.

Having been bestowed upon them centuries ago, they are truly worthy of the title 'Legendary'.

…And they are being invaded…

Story / Background Information:

Spoiler:

Features:

Ø Explore the brand new region of Lowen!
Ø Heaps of the Pokémon from FR that you know and love!
Ø Team Rocket makes a spectacular reappearance on the small-screen!
Ø Begin with the Johto starters in your efforts to be proclaimed as a Pokémon Master!
Ø Brand new Gyms and Elite Four to battle your way to the top!
Ø Two rivals that will push you to your limits every step of the way!
Ø New Movesets / Base Stats for some previously forgettable Pokémon!
Ø Pokémon that were once only obtainable via trading (with or without items) have new ways to reach that crucial final-evolution!
Ø A new Safari Zone where only the most exotic of Pokémon can be caught!
Ø New TMs to use as you please!
Ø Areas specifically designed for the swapping of Pokémon – Introducing Trade Houses!
Creator's Biography:

Ø I'm relatively new to Hacking, but I'm ancient in Pokémon playing terms.
Ø Not a master at scripting, but I'm learning diligently, putting in the effort and can generally get scripts to go the way I want them to.
Ø Sprites and OWs are my kryptonite…
Help:

Ø I'm not openly looking for any full-time help with this project at this point. If you wish to present something, by all means feel free to do so, and if I like what I see, I may bring you onboard the project.
Ø I am, however, searching for someone who can insert a World Map. I've tried everyithing I possibly can, but it doesn't like me D:
Ø I'm always open for crit, but please, no mindless spamming of stuff like "Yoo suk! 0/10 >=(" which has no examples as to how to improve, nor any basis of sanity. Posts such as this shall be ignored unless it mindless drivel praise.
Banners / UserBars:

Spoiler:

Screen Shots:

Spoiler:

World Map:

Spoiler:

Progress:

Spoiler:

Credits:

Lu-Ho: AdvanceMap
HackMew: Xtreme Script Editor, unLZ GBA and Free Space Finder
Darthatron: Pokémon Editor Pro, Evolution Editor Pro, TM Professional Editor and Learnable TM Editor
NiKaRoNoU: Awesome Male OW sprite
Cloud 9: For the awesome banners
Nintendo / Game Freak: for getting me hooked in the first place and keeping my interest up for all these years

Thank you for your time, and I'm hoping to have fun and eventually complete this project.

Last edited:

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Wow, you're well underway with this hack. You could have skipped the scrapbox with this one!

I like how well organized everything is, as well as the abundant amount of information on your games back story and features.

I look forward to seeing more to come from your hack, DrFuji!

EDIT: Wow, three wow's in a row. vvv

EDIT 2: 4 wows.*

Last edited:

masterhacker445

Pokemon Northern Lights Owner
Years
Wow, I agree with Cello! You've got yourself organised, features, screenies, userbars, and an appealing storyline!

I bid you best of luck. Good thing is, I'm assured this won't need luck, it'll be a success ;-)

Keep it up!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Cello said:
Wow, you're well underway with this hack. You could have skipped the scrapbox with this one!

Nah, I'm nowhere near ready to go to progressing Hacks, I have only done up to Route 2 and have the barest of scripts in some places - but thanks for thinking that I could - it means alot.

I like how well organized everything is, as well as the abundant amount of information on your games back story and features.

I've been sitting on it and thinking about it for a while, allowing me to fully grasp what I was trying to achieve and get a decent backstory going. As for organisation, I just don't like to clutter stuff =P

masterhacker445 said:
I bid you best of luck. Good thing is, I'm assured this won't need luck, it'll be a success ;-)

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Neo-Щolf said:
Wow ! This hack is well organised and everything.
Good luck!

Once again, thankyou!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
The Lowen Region (Now in Colour!)

Well, it took a while after coming up with the basic concept of a region shape, but I've finally put mouse to computer and made a basic region of Lowen. And just to give an idea of where you begin, the home town is the one in the top left hand corner with a stretch of land going down south. I know that its not perfect, and I have the feeling that I'm going to be editing it in the future (Possibly drastically, but nothing is set).

The main issue that I can see is that there appear to be too many 'arms' branching out from the centre of the map. This is making it so that there are two or three central towns / cities which you will have to walk through if you want to get from place to the other. It just doesn't seem to have an aspect of linear progression, especially when compared to maps such as Kanto or Hoenn. It just seems to be messy and... off.

TownMap-2.png

If anyone feels like commenting on, feel free to do so.

Note: I only have the first couple of town names set out at this point in time, other flashes of inspiration / bad puns of little significance will come when they come.

In addition, I finally got over a block of scripting that was seriously annoying me. Things weren't going they way they were suppossed to, I got fed up and urrgh... It works now.

shortdan1998

Rawr! I'm back, baby!
Years
The hack idea is very organized and such but it may need to have more screenies and such and the actual map should be edited into the original post. I really love how the whole thing is so organized though and good luck!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Neo-Щolf said:
This is a nice hack.. but why's it not getting enough response?

I have no idea whatsoever...

shortdan1998 said:
The hack idea is very organized and such but it may need to have more screenies and such and the actual map should be edited into the original post. I really love how the whole thing is so organized though and good luck!

The map was edited into the original post... Its right below the screenshots @_@

As for the screenshots themselves, they're essentially upto where I'm up to. I'm kind of going on a scripting rampage right now and haven't been able to progress mapwise or take shorts of anything too significant.

...Though now that I think about it, I probably should have added a shot of the player getting his first Pokemon... Maybe later.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Neo-Щolf said:
How did you insert the frames round the Screenies?

I just saved the screenshot to my computer and opened it up in paint, gave it a one/two pixel border and painted the free-space black. Its as simple as that.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Neo-Щolf said:
Lolz! Me dumb. I forgot that.
Waiting for new screens.

Good to hear not the dumb part but right now I've got about six exams to prepare for. While I'll still be working on this during study breaks and stuff, don't expect anything to drastic for the next one and a half weeks...

After that however... KABLAMO!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Neo-Щolf said:
Waiting for new screens.

xmouvelianz said:
Same as Neo-Wolf.Waiting for more screenies

Then who am I to refuse? :P

ShimmeringTempestPhoto12.png
ShimmeringTempest11.png

The screenshot on the left is actually from the same cave that used to be in my original screenshots. I decided that this scheme seemed to work much better than 'generic cave' - So I just used the Digglet's Cave tiles. You couldn't see the Rocket in the other shot, but I felt that it would be more intriguing if I included him in this one.​

The shot on the right is the character and his (soon to be) rival getting their first Pokemon. It doesn't look like the bog-standard Lab scenario, does it? Where could it be? And who is that darkenned fellow standing to the right of the boys?...​

Comment if you wish.​

Pogeygothaxed

Pokémon exDeltaSpecies Creator
Years
Then who am I to refuse? :P

ShimmeringTempestPhoto12.png
ShimmeringTempest11.png

The screenshot on the left is actually from the same cave that used to be in my original screenshots. I decided that this scheme seemed to work much better than 'generic cave' - So I just used the Digglet's Cave tiles. You couldn't see the Rocket in the other shot, but I felt that it would be more intriguing if I included him in this one.​

The shot on the right is the character and his (soon to be) rival getting their first Pokemon. It doesn't look like the bog-standard Lab scenario, does it? Where could it be? And who is that darkenned fellow standing to the right of the boys?...​

Comment if you wish.​

Hey this just keeps getting better, huh? ^^ Keep it up.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Pogeygothaxed said:
Hey this just keeps getting better, huh? ^^ Keep it up.
Hey, thanks for the support. It means alot.

Looking back at that screenshot from the newly renovated cave though, I just realised that there is nothing but exclamation marks from Oak when he should have been trying to be a stealthy ninja >_> (!)

Zetlian2-kinra said:
Wow...
the story's amazing.

What I've written up isn't that spectacular, I just added some razzle-dazzle description over an essentially hollow framework. In addition, whats there is only the surface - You haven't seen all that I have stored up in my noggin'.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Curged said:
Nice hack, hope to see this to the end.
Thanks!

I hope I can do the same =P

EDIT: Just to re-itterate, I'm currently studying for a brief period of exams this week, so there won't be any progress until next weekend. Sorry to anyone who wants more stuff, but after Friday, I should have a decent three week period of vactioning and doing stuff.

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Bumppity Bump Bump, Double Post Bump.

Huzzah! Exams are over! Now I can back to doing god-knows-what with my hack.

Over the past week I've been having thoughts about the first Gym in the game. Previously I had decided that it was going to be Normal-type based but I'm begining to have second thoughts about that. I've been pondering about making it an Ice-type gym, but that might be a bit strong for that early in the game and take a really good type from later on. The reason that I've been thinking about an Ice-type Gym is because its not to far away from Shiver Cavern (which you can probably imagine as being a cold place - its even in one of the screenshots).

So my question to anyone who is reading this thread is: should I make the first a gym a Normal or Ice based Gym. I'd just like to see the general mood of the people here, but I'll leave my decision a suprise until I actually release the game itself - I'm sure that nobody would mind that.

So, go on, which shall it be?

Back