• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SoulSilver hack: Pokémon Soul Silver English Translation Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
Well, I know there's already an HGSS translation going on out there, but I decided to make my own. I've only been working on this for a couple days, but I've got most of the dialogue from both New Bark Town and Cherrygrove City already translated. Adding on to that, that's what will make this HGSS translation different from all the other ones out there, the dialogue, including the new text, will be translated. Most recently though, I've been focusing on translating the menus and stuff, which has been going well. For the dialogue, IF the dialogue was the same in HGSS as it was in the original GSC, I will translate it the same way it was translated in GSC with a few updates(For instance, PROF. is now Professor and important items are no longer all caps). The new dialogue will be translated as well. Here are a couple screenies showing off what's been done...

New screens:

hgss6-1.jpg

hgss6-2.jpg

hgss6-3.jpg

hgss6-4.jpg

hgss6-5.jpg

hgss6-6.jpg

hgss6-7.jpg

hgss6-8.jpg

hgss6-9.jpg

hgss6-10.jpg

Progress Videos:

The dialogue in Elm's Lab:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK4ai0KqtJQ

Some dialogue from Route 29 NPC's and Cherrygrove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVposKhONGI

New Graphics Editing Pics, all credit goes to Rykin and Ryqib12 for letting me use them.

hgssnew1.jpg

hgssnew2.jpg

Downloads

Patch V3 is out!

You can download it from any of these sites...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jdj8vc

http://rapidshare.com/files/290115230/soul...rengv3.rar.html

http://www.filefront.com/14678829/soulsilverengv3.rar

In this patch, most of the story up to where you beat Whitney in Goldenrod is translated. The trainers in the Goldenrod Underground are translated as well.

Also most of the signs up to Goldenrod have been translated as well.

How do I patch it?

1. Open up the provided Xdelta GUI.exe which is supplied for you. To open this, you need Xdelta.exe, which is provided also.

2. Go to the patch tab.

3. Go to "Select Patch" and select the patch file which is provided.

4. Go to "Select Rom" and select your clean, unedited rom dump. The dump that would probably be best to use is the Xenophobia dump of Soul Silver.

5. Go to "Apply Patch".

Now it's going to take a while to apply the patch, so don't expect it to finish applying the patch instantly.

After it's applied, a patched version of your rom should show up in the same folder as the Clean one. This patched rom should be "121 MB" which yes, is smaller than the original rom.

Notes

This patch will currently only work on Soul Silver and not Heart Gold.

Last edited:

Tudj

HeartGold :P
Years
Well Good Luck with this, I have seen Magius and this one is just as promising. Good Luck

iwuzhere9

Ye Olde Doofus
Years
I wish you the best of luck and speed. We, the internet, are anxiously awaiting you work's completion :D

Amulet Dream

has the Alice of Running Away.
Years
Ditto above. This looks nice, good luck with it! I hope you succeed before the games come out in english!

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 30, 2016
Don't tell me that you're planning to translate all the dialogue. If you are, I'm going to tell you now that it wouldn't be needed. All that needs to be translated is menus, tutorials, items, Pokemon, Poketlon, etc.

But stuff like NPC dialogue and story should be left to the official translators in my opinion. Don't put more effort into this than necessary.

I'm not upset or calling you out or anything, so don't take this post the wrong way.

Magnius

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
Don't tell me that you're planning to translate all the dialogue. If you are, I'm going to tell you now that it wouldn't be needed. All that needs to be translated is menus, tutorials, items, Pokemon, Poketlon, etc.

But stuff like NPC dialogue and story should be left to the official translators in my opinion. Don't put more effort into this than necessary.

I'm not upset or calling you out or anything, so don't take this post the wrong way.
Well I don't care much if it's needed, if anything I'm doing it so I can play it in English and whoever else wants to play the English patch can play. If you personally want to wait, no one's forcing you to play the patch. It is, your opinion.

lol, even google translate for all the dialog would be fine
Yes, but then the translation would suck.

And even with what you said dude, the official translations will have localized names for characters like Kotone and such. And translations for new dialogue will most likely be different. When the patch is out you can play it or not.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2016
Pretty much third/fourth project?
Well, considering the first two I actually know of are mainly menu translations (and will remain that way), I wish you luck. I also suggest you'd team up with one of them cause you don't seem to translate the yes/no buttons o:
P.S, by the time you'll probably finish translating the majority of the dialogs, Nintendo's official release probably won't be so far away. Yet, good luck again XD

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 30, 2016
Well I don't care much if it's needed, if anything I'm doing it so I can play it in English and whoever else wants to play the English patch can play. If you personally want to wait, no one's forcing you to play the patch. It is, your opinion.

All right, then. If you're willing to do this then I guess I have no place to complain. Since I like to support the ROM hacking community I'll still wish you the best of luck.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
lol, even google translate for all the dialog would be fine
google translate is 100% crap, ive seen it translate into hindi and vice-versa.. and absolute rubbish.
edit: ive got a feeling youre in the wrong section for this thread, or u arent..?

Magnius

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
All right, then. If you're willing to do this then I guess I have no place to complain. Since I like to support the ROM hacking community I'll still wish you the best of luck.
Well lol half the dialogue is just comparing the HGSS dialogue to the original GSC Japanese dialogue and seeing if anything's changed. My overall attitude is, if a certain piece of text is the same as it is in HGSS, as it is in the original, then it should be translated the same way. But if it's new text, I'm able to translate the Japanese. And there is a fair amount of that.

And, items, menus and everything will be done in time. But right now I'm focusing on text.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
very nice indeed, do you intend to make thin into a patch???

Magnius

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
very nice indeed, do you intend to make thin into a patch???
Yep and it's going pretty well. Just have to do a little more translating and I'll be done with New Bark Town.

Item descriptions and all that WILL be done, however, later.

I'm planning to release the patch when most of the text up to atleast Ecruteak is translated.

MizuJosh

Graceful Water Trainer
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 21, 2010
It's looking very nice. It's got to be a TON of work, though, no? There's a lot of text in the game.

Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2009
Yah, It's a ramake xD, and you can see that you can almost beat the game using a G/S/C guide xD... Well, I hope you go well on the translation and do your better to translate :3

By the way, to the itens/pokemames/options, use one of the patch that are already done, then the final translation will be finished quickly.

P.S: Sorry for my bad english, it isn't my native language

Magnius

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
So you mean to say that there are "translations" that merely copy/paste the G/S/C script? That's… effed up, to say the least. I'm able to read the dialogue myself, but erm, good luck with this. :D
Yes, for stuff that was THE SAME IN THE ORIGINAL GSC. If a piece of text is the SAME AS IN GSC as it is in HGSS in JAPANESE, then give me one reason why the original English translation shouldn't be used in HGSS? Think about that. If the text is NOT new and was in the original GSC, why should it be retranslated? It ruins the nostalgia factor that the Japanese HGSS has, if you ask me.

Now NEW TEXT, text that wasn't in the original GSC or is DIFFERENT from in the original GSC, will be translated.

My point is though, is that a lot of text from the original is WORD FOR WORD in HGSS, in the original Japanese. Therefore those same pieces of text will be word for word from the official English translation of GSC.

I would retranslate, but that ruins the nostalgia.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2009
Well, really god luck, and do you know when are you gonna finish the translation? 1 month? 3 Weeks? 2 weeks?

Do you know when are you going to finish? And are you going tu use another english patch to translate pokemon names, itens and so on?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back