• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: 18+ Members Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlier

Okay I'm not suggesting a section where we are given the freedom to post whatever we want. Of course we would still need rules and limitations to abide by. But how about a section for us older members where we can discuss certain topics that perhaps would be inappropriate for younger members to read?

I've seen this work on a couple of other forums that are mostly known for being family friendly. The section could be made invisible to members under the age of 18. Perhaps a sub-forum of the Off-Topic Discussions section that only members over 18 can see and access.

Again we would need rules just like any other section but I think this could really work.

Honest

Hi!
Years
The number of times a Thunder Dome retry has been asked for is insane haha. Iirc, lately people have been more willing to give it a chance recently.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I think its time to seriously consider this, h-staff. The member base these days are more mature and capable of serious conversation now more than any other time in the past, and this is something that's been brought up time and time again. Give it a shot.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
^Yeah, like there aren't any younger members who don't join at all. And it's TOTALLY like those members can't modify their age so they are 18 or older.

I wonder why something like this can even be suggested on a site like PokeCommunity.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
People will lie about their age on the internet. It happens, and it's not going to change, but admins can set it so that date of birth can't be changed and it's already required in registration.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
Then perhaps you should consider the fact that they may just want access to that forum. At that point, its on them. People are naturally curious creatures regardless.

This think about the children attitude is honestly hilarious. Let's consider how early in life we've all been introduced to, primarily, the topic of sexuality and then reconsider our positions, because that's as early as 13 years old for most of us.

Outlier

Nope nope nope nope nope. If you want to discuss adult subjects then keep it private, or off PC. Oh the hypocrisy from a horny bastard such as myself but I feel such a section would quickly get out of hand, even with "rules". Nor is it fair to exclude members based on age, this is a Pokemon forum, not OkCupid...

Sorry Introvert, but I don't think it's a good idea, even though I too would like a place to chat up the nerdy Pokemon babes but you're gonna have to do it in a charming, family friendly fashion, I think even the adults here don't want to engage in "adult" topics, it's demeaning.

Is it discrimination to prevent a minor from smoking cigarettes or consuming alcohol? Is it a form of discrimination to keep certain sections and features exclusive to people who donate money?

And why are you assuming that I'm looking to use this section as an excuse to chat people up? It's not my intention to use PC as some kind of dating service. Not all threads in this section would be sexuality related you know.

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
Years
I would say that this could go either way because yeah it would be cool to talk just a bit more to people who would understand a lot better, but then again there will be youngins trying to tweak ages (I almost tweaked my age on here because I thought you had to be 18+ to begin with but I didn't) and so it could be a good thing and it could be a bad thing.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I think this would be an excellent idea to try out. People need to stop with these "what if" arguments and see the value for what it is. You can't protect children forever, and if you do manage, they go into the world as an ignorant and naive adult. So where's the logic in that?

Not that I'd be able to access it, but I honestly think this is a great idea.

Years
I don't think Introvert intended for it to be a sexual-based forum at all, but merely a place where more serious or disturbing topics that might bother or be inappropriate for younger members can be discussed by those of us old enough.

If this was created I might visit it occasionally but really it seems pretty pointless to me. In theory it is great but let's face it

1. There's no point trying to conceal anything since any younger user who wants to see what is in there will just make an alt account.

2. There are plenty of adult members that would inevitably be offended by some of things posted.

3. A lot of the things posted will already be talked about in D&D and really I think a debating forum is a far more engaging and interesting environment for more serious topics to be spread in.

So yeah, it sounds good in theory but there's really not much point and it would become a dead forum pretty quick I'd guess.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
3. A lot of the things posted will already be talked about in D&D and really I think a debating forum is a far more engaging and interesting environment for more serious topics to be spread in.
That's a really good point and a concern that crossed my mind as well. The others, not so much (someone in the world will be offended by something out there), but this one in particular is a pretty solid statement. Especially since Other Chat's reform and D&Ds purpose was to allow more (not heated, but I can't think of another word to describe it) type of discussion that's seen as more mature.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Myself and Ausaudriel were discussing some ideas about this recently. I suggested a mature section, whereas he suggested that we actually tag threads with an 18+ label within the current sections we have, where appropriate. Any users under the age of 18 wouldn't be able to access them.

So hopefully this will come about eventually, be patient and we'll hopefully have a majority vote on bringing something like this about :]

Years
I'd presume that the age you put in at registration would be locked from being changed if either a forum like this or the 18+ tags were implemented.

That's a really good point and a concern that crossed my mind as well. The others, not so much (someone in the world will be offended by something out there), but this one in particular is a pretty solid statement. Especially since Other Chat's reform and D&Ds purpose was to allow more (not heated, but I can't think of another word to describe it) type of discussion that's seen as more mature.

This.

Basically, all I can think of that's left to discuss in such a section with the D&D reform are non PG-13 personal hygiene/care habits and sexual topics. Also gory violence but that's probably still too much for a lot of PC's members, adult or otherwise, to be able to stomach. A dedicated forum for what is probably just a handful of topic types that the memberbase probably already gets their fill of from elsewhere if that's their thing would basically be dead on arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back