The Pok√©Community Forums  

Go Back   The Pok√©Community Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 15th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Geometric-sama
The Manly Man of Steel

Nature: Bold

Advertise here
The thread disappeared during server migration, but luckily I had it saved for a repost:

OK, not sure if this should go in Other Chat or Other Entertainment so I'll put it in OC and mods can move it as necessary. I was planning to start this over a month ago, had everything all written out, and then Anthony and Shadow came along with their Singing Contest". Well, consider the SC a warm-up, here comes the real thing!

We've had Britain's Pop Idol, American Idol, <insert nationality here> Idol, even World Idol. Now it's time to bring Idol to the Internet with the Pokťmon Community Idol!

For those of you who don't know what Idol is, it's a singing competition. Thousands of people audition and are judged by a panel of three people, and a number are selected to go through to a final. After that, it's audience vote as each week has a theme for the song and one person is voted out each week.

We'll need three volunteer judges for the competition. Usually it's one nasty judge (like Nasty Simon Cowell, LOL I like him), one nice one and one somewhere in the middle, but it doesn't matter. It's probably best if judges have broadband, though, as you'll need to download every audition file. Apart from that, anyone can audition. (I don't want to judge because I want to enter.)

To audition, you need to record yourself singing a song (any song) without accompaniment. Then you compress it as MP3 or WMA and upload it XD. Please state your PC username and the song you're singing before you start. For first audition, one verse and chorus is all that's needed. You're not allowed to use effects like reverb and echo to make your voice sound better.

Auditions close... say, end of this month (March)? Then the judges need to talk to each other, whittle the auditions down to somewhere between 8 and 12 finalists and announce them (easiest way is for each judge to shortlist as many as he/she wants, then put in whoever appears on more than one shortlist), together with judge's comments on everyone (remember, you can be nasty like Nasty Simon). After that, each week each finalist has to record another song (you can use backing for the finals) that has something to do with the theme for that week. Every week the audience (ie. everyone who's not in the final) votes for the person they like best, and the one with fewest votes is out. In the last week, when there are only two people left, they have to record a set song (I thought maybe the Trainers' Song / Indigo League Theme, full version) as well as one of their own choice, there's no theme on this day.

As for weekly themes for the finals, since this is a Pokťmon Community I thought we could do some Pokťmon music themes and some other themes. Depending on the number of finalists, it would probably be 6-10 themes needed, so these are some possible themes I thought of.

POKťMON THEMES
2BA Master (a song from the "2BA Master" CD - if you don't have it, they were the songs from Pikachu's Jukebox)
Totally Pokťmon (from the Totally Pokťmon CD, or Pokťmon Karaokemon, or the soundtrack from Pokťmon 3 - the CDs even had karaoke tracks and an instrumental disc)
Pokťmon: The First Movie (any songs from that soundtrack - most of them aren't Pokťmon, so you can get them on other CDs)
Pokťmon: The Movie 2000 (these include "Pokťmon World" if you don't know any others)

OTHER THEMES
Pop
Rock/Metal/Punk (YAYYY! Have two of these, LOL - maybe one for rock/alt. rock, and one for metal/punk/hardcore - that way Good Charlotte fits both into "rock" and "punk" XD)
Japanese (you have to choose a J-Rock/J-Pop/Anime song and record that)
Rap/Hip-hop/R&B (you can use a rap/rock or rap-metal combo as well, like some of the Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit songs)
Pre-90s music
Australian music XD (hey, there is some good stuff out here! And I don't choose Australian just because I am Australian, but because most of the music you hear comes out of the US and UK. AFAIK Australian music overseas pretty much equals Kylie Minogue (bad), Jet (OK) and (in the UK) Delta Goodrem (good).)

plus you can have a "general/own-choice" theme.

So you can start recording your audition straight away, but we need three volunteer judges. Did that lengthy and somewhat confusing post make sense? XD

Remember, for auditions you can record *anything*. It's only finals that have themes.

"One reason why mathematics enjoys special esteem, above all other sciences, is that its laws are absolutely certain and indisputable, while those of other sciences are to some extent debatable and in constant danger of being overthrown by newly discovered facts."
Albert Einstein

"What science can there be more noble, more excellent, more useful for men, more admirably high and demonstrative than mathematics."
Benjamin Franklin

"Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty ‚Äď a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of paintings or music, yet sublimely pure and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show."
Bertrand Russell

avatar and signature by FoxHound

ANNOY ME AT YOUR PERIL. I am becoming increasingly tired of the unmanly elitism and closed-mindedness of certain members who shall remain unnamed.
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:30 PM
bna_li

Nature: Hasty
Great, I'll so definitely... try to join!
[EDIT] Maybe not... I'm sick, caught a cold..

Last edited by bna_li; March 17th, 2004 at 08:26 PM.
Old March 18th, 2004, 09:37 PM
HIM
Two Minutes Till Midnight

Send a message via AIM to HIM Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to HIM Send a message via Yahoo to HIM
I must compete. I will do Good Charlotte. Jedi, You can pick the song for me.

. . . : : L O V E F I S T F U R Y : : . . .

This Post Was Brought To You By: Giggle Cream. Beacuse Dessert SHOULD Be Funny.
(PM Me to get your advertisement here! Avalible in 1 week limits only)

Everyone, this is Ozzy (Umbreon) and Bam (Latios)

I hope I die before I get old! I'm sure I will
thanks to this life of excess I lead.

Old March 19th, 2004, 12:16 AM
bna_li

Wierd, when I try to upload the .mp3 it says INVALID FILE TYPE.
[EDIT] I sang with the windows recorder, works now. I'm still sick, so...
Attached Files
File Type: wav Fine Day.wav‎ (927.1 KB, 28 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by bna_li; March 27th, 2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old March 19th, 2004, 04:44 PM
PM2008
Fire Gym Owner

I volunteer to be a judge I can be the evil or the nice judge(I have many personalities).And I have all of the requirements to be a judge

"I have long since come to belive that people mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions."
My friends:KM2010, Pokemaster10000, Dusty Pikachu,AT12309, Pluslechu,Yamichu.
Paired up with: KM2010
Old March 19th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
I'd probably be doing Delta :-p

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old March 19th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Dizzy
My Father is a Baron!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dizzy
No This Is Like Operation: Superstar That I Made (((((((

Please join my fan-club. I have no fans

Old March 21st, 2004, 03:00 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

I can be as nasty as Simon sometimes! Can I be a judge?!?

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:14 AM
Geometric-sama
The Manly Man of Steel

Yeppy, so we have the nasty and nice judge! Anthony and PM2008. Except, Anthony, that means that you can't compete? Maybe the others can judge you. That's the good thing about having 3 judges.

"One reason why mathematics enjoys special esteem, above all other sciences, is that its laws are absolutely certain and indisputable, while those of other sciences are to some extent debatable and in constant danger of being overthrown by newly discovered facts."
Albert Einstein

"What science can there be more noble, more excellent, more useful for men, more admirably high and demonstrative than mathematics."
Benjamin Franklin

"Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty ‚Äď a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of paintings or music, yet sublimely pure and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show."
Bertrand Russell

ANNOY ME AT YOUR PERIL. I am becoming increasingly tired of the unmanly elitism and closed-mindedness of certain members who shall remain unnamed.
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:34 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Meh, I've sung before, all I need is a Delta instumental song. XD

That's Our Switch.
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:40 AM
Geometric-sama
The Manly Man of Steel

You can use Rifted's technique for removing vocals.

Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Bertrand Russell

Old March 25th, 2004, 06:55 PM
bna_li

Is it just me, or am I the ONLY person who posted anything..?
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Rifted
Let's positive thinking!

Send a message via AIM to Rifted Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rifted
So far you are. x]

I'm still thinking of what to sing, as well as trying to find time to sing. o.o

she's back. run for your lives.
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:22 PM
bna_li

Boo, no ones here, no one... I see NO people..
Old March 26th, 2004, 02:23 AM
ChoasTheory
Boy Mew (NOT genderless)

Send a message via AIM to ChoasTheory Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ChoasTheory
Ooooooo, cool. I can't compete though =(. My microphone makes my voice sound ummm horrible lol. Its like 30 years old though XD.
Old March 26th, 2004, 05:01 PM
bna_li

Thats better than sounding five...
Old March 27th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Pluslechu
Uuuh...Corn?

Can I post a song I sang when I was just being silly? It's not a real song, just that 'Dashing through the snow on a pair of broken skis' thing...Jus fer fun? =3 Dun have to judje it, I just feel I need somewhere to post it, cuz that's what I made it for XD

-Pluslechu

"You may take this time to study your nostrils."-One of my MadLibs! XD

"You may not throw ducks at the other students!"-Same MadLib...

"Geodude is like Michael Jackson..."-Iveechan

Any random Pokemon art requests? E-mail me at: [email protected]
Old March 27th, 2004, 08:50 PM
bna_li

If you post it and you pass the audition, you have to sing another song...
Old March 27th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Pluslechu
Uuuh...Corn?

Hah! Me pass? lol I was just goofing off so I sound awful, but okay, I'll post it...Who knows?
Attached Files
File Type: wav Me!.wav‎ (510.8 KB, 20 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by Pluslechu; March 27th, 2004 at 09:00 PM.
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:00 PM
bna_li

OK, try then... post it! To quote him: Fight with honor! You will win! - Jackie Chan
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Pluslechu
Uuuh...Corn?

There posted it. *points up to last post*

Be warned, though, it was meant to sound bad...

-Pluslechu

Last edited by Pluslechu; March 27th, 2004 at 09:07 PM.
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:06 PM
bna_li

Be careful... the Vito Winstrate man is tense...
Old March 28th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Geometric-sama
The Manly Man of Steel

I'm gonna extend the deadline, for more people to enter. Another... two weeks. Say April 14.

Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Bertrand Russell

Old March 29th, 2004, 10:34 PM
bna_li

But no one seems interested....
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:14 AM
PichuSecretBase
Web Site Critique

Send a message via AIM to PichuSecretBase Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PichuSecretBase
I'll try it later after school.....maybe
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here