• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

日本と日本語クラブ・The Japanese Fan Club!

Kimicatdemon

One who randomly returns!
    Years
    I study hirigana by book and cassetet tapes..... ^_^ yep yep!! i used to be in the japanese club...then I moved..;___;

I just remebered I had all of this from the club...who better to share it with than you guys?!! <3

here it is!! XD

Last edited:

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Cool ^
    I have a question for Marillmonster2000 or anyone who really knows the language
    I know that verbs can have the "u" ending and then there's the other ending "i" as in hanashi (to speak). In the "i" I'm informed that there are additions to the verb to change the tense like masu, masen, deshita and masendeshita. What's the real difference between a simpke U verb and the masu stuff? Is it normally used in speach, or like a politeness thing

Question 2
    Would the word for go "iru" count as an "iru" verb or just a "ru" verb?

Question 3
    If two verbs sound the same when a tense is added to them. Like for example "iku" to leave, and "iru" to be. When put into past form they both turn in to "itta".... or so I think
    If I'm right, how can you tell the difference?
    And just one teensy question
    when you say "yo" at the beginning of a sentence, what does it mean?
    Arigatou gozaimasu in advance

buster_wolf

MUSCLE INFERNO
    Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Jul 3, 2015
    1. Those endings have different meanings. "u" endings are the plain or dictionary form. They are commonly used in casual conversations. The "i" verbs are usually used for politeness, like hanashimasu or so. So yeah, politeness, there's others, like "a" is for the negative. Like, Hanasanai (Can't Talk) from Hanasu (Talk). "e" is like the command, like Shine (Die!) or used for the potential form when a ru is put at the end of it.

2. Iru would be a ru verb, since it becomes inai, ite, and ita.

3.Yo is like an affirmitive confirmation like...

Sou da yo! (That is so! Or Yeah!)

Just consider it like an exclaimation mark it in a way.

Anyway...

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    actually, Crystal Clair was asking about "yo" at the beginning of a sentence. In which case, I think it pretty much works exactly like it does in English (ex. "Yo, genki da na?" would be "Yo! How ya doin'?").

To add onto what buster_wolf said about the verb endings, it's also worth noting that "i" is not always to indicate politeness (that's only if you add "masu" or similar things to it). If you add "tai" to the end of an "i" word, you're basically saying "I want to (verb)". Likewise, if you add "ba" at the end of an "e", you're pretty much saying "if", thus you can follow with what would result if said verb were carried out. You can also end verbs with "o".... if you're familiar with the "mashou" ending, that's pretty much the same except more casual (ex. "ikimashou" and "ikou", which are based off of "iku", making it "let's go", I think).

I also noticed that you could add "nasai" to the end of an "i"... I don't quite know what it means, but from the context I've seen it in, it's some kind of polite way of commanding (like the "e" ending that buster_wolf brought up). I'd like some confirmation if anyone knows.

mistywishmaker said:
    ジェシさん はどこにあるか。

I think ある is only meant for inanimate objects. When you're speaking of a person, or other living things, you use いる.

Last edited:

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    the word for "what" is "nani", however, the kanji can also be read "nan". I'm pretty sure it's just a phonetic change, and its reading depends on what seems to flow better (for instance, what's better? "Nani da" or "Nan da"?).

mistywishmaker

such a thing as f o r e v e r
    Years
    I think ある is only meant for inanimate objects. When you're speaking of a person, or other living things, you use いる.

O___O;; Whoops, you're right XD You're very good at Japanese =3 I always accidentally use arimasu for animate objects and imasu for inanimate objects XD Marill is 100% animate =O

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    mistywishmaker said:
    You're very good at Japanese =3

yes, well I took two semesters at my college. I'd have taken more, but that's all my college offers. I've also been self-educating myself through the internet since around 2000 (interesting tidbit: I memorized kana, as well as how Engrish works, by trying to read Digimon cards. By the time I took my college classes, I was well ahead of everyone else).

Last edited:

marillmonster2000

PC's True Blue Marill
    Years
    I'm Glad Buster_Wolf Answered That First Question, Because Quite Frankly I Don't Think I Could Have XD. I Take Japanese Lessons, And I Learn All The Rules, And Such. But Most Of What I Know I Get From Watching Anime And Reading Manga.
    Like, If Someone Asked Me "How Do You Say ___, Marillmonster 2000?" I Might Not Know At The Time, Yet I Might Use It In A Sentance 2 Minutes Later.

Kimicatdemon

One who randomly returns!
    Years
    I have a hard time remembering the symbols all togther...;_; I can recognize them, but I don't know what they are...;____;

here's how I started out.
    1.pronuciation,
    2.basic phrases
    3.alphebet.

That's it!! ;__; I'm still working on step 3...

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Can someone here tell me what verbs in the A,I,U,E and O forms can be used for? I cant really explain... like when to use them and such? I know the U form is the basic stuff. And the I form is used in politeness when a "masu", "masen", "mashita" and "masendeshita" suffix are attached
    I'm trying to study as much as I can. I already memorized the "in the process of" form.
    So does asonderu mean "playing"... just trying to make extra sure

mistywishmaker

such a thing as f o r e v e r
    Years
    @Yamato-san: XD Interesting way of learning. =3 I used to love Digimon cards... I'm learning Japanese to become a manga-ka. XD

@CClair: Yes, あそんでる means "playing." I think. =3

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    bump
    I've been studying Japanese a lot lately. More than usual actually. I decided I'm not gonna concentrate on kanji until I'm done the grammer.
    ^ I think 遊んでいる (あそんでいる) means playing. The "i" goes in between the "de" and the "ru".

Back