• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[日本語] Japanese Help/Discussion/Community Thread: Learn Japanese through Pokemon!

Years
  • Ah, sorry, I missed that. If you're using just the な-adjective in the present positive tense then you would use なんです. For past tense as well as negative present tense and negative past tense you would just use んです. Again, this is my personal understanding. I'm going to look through a book or two I have now to see if I can find some examples that would help me more confident in my response.

You could always try a google search with quotation marks if you're ever unsure. I know it's not the best way to learn things, but I just did a search for "だったなんです" and it suggested to me "だったんです". When I looked at the bolded parts of results in the sample text it shows for each result, all the "だったなんです" didn't look right since they were broken up with parentheses like "(だった)なんです". So... yeah, take from that what you will.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I was thinking about doing some flashcard practice with Kanji, and was wondering if someone would mind if I PMed them all of my cards just to make sure I'm getting everything right. I'll just be using an online dictionary to find the words I'm going to use.

For now I'm just gonna do simple stuff like colors, animals etc... but for later on, I'd like someone to check with to make sure I've got the right stuff.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • There's this software called Anki that my roommate swears by whenever he's trying to learn vocabulary in a different language (he uses it for Russian and Japanese). If you go on their website, you can find more info, but basically it's an electronic flashcard system that records your progress and adjusts the cards to which ones you know and which you don't. It has loads of decks with pre-made cards on loads of subjects (identifying kana, identifying kanji, pets, numbers etc.) and in loads of languages, including Japanese. I'd certainly recommend it.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • ^ Yeah, I'm already using a similar program called surusu. It doesn't have premade cards though...

Years
  • Okay, I'm not sure what the best topic to bring up next should be so I'll just throw something out there.

Kanji

Kanji is one of the most daunting things about the Japanese language, but with practice you can start to memorize and recognize simpler kanji, learn their pronunciations and meanings, and gain the skills to learn new ones on your own.

Background

There are tens of thousands of kanji out there. They say that you need to know at least 2,000 before you can read a newspaper, but your average educated native Japanese speaker knows plenty more.

So what are kanji anyway? Well I'm not going to tell you. A long time ago the Japanese had a spoken language, but no written language. Their closest literate neighbors were the Koreans who at the time used Chinese characters for all their writing. The word 'kanji' literally means 'Chinese characters'. Long story short, the Japanese adopted Chinese writing to represent their language phonetically. There's a lot more to this story, but I'll not go into that.

This is a good time to give a few examples.

日 立 休 本 飲 意

Above are some of the more common kanji you'll encounter. As you can see they range from rather simple to fairly complex, and there are others which are downright messy. You've no doubt seen things like this before, but if you normally just look over them without thinking about them then just take a moment to look at their shapes. Look at the two in the middle? Don't they look a little similar? And the two on the left, don't they have something in common with the one on the right? Kanji aren't all as difficult as they seem. There is more repetition than there might seem. Just keep that in mind in case the thought of memorizing 2,000 kanji feels overwhelming.

Reading

I said that originally Japanese used Chinese characters phonetically. They did not initially care what the meanings associated with the characters were, just the sounds. That changed over time, but kanji still retain their Chinese sounds (or as close as Japanese could get to those sounds). In modern Japanese these sounds, or readings, are called onyomi (おんよみ). Let's give an example:

In Chinese this character is pronounced xiū. In Japanese this kanji's Chinese reading, or onyomi, is kyuu (キュウ - It's common for the onyomi to be written in katakana). They aren't identical, but you can see how one derived from the other.

Now, after some time Japanese started to incorporate the meanings behind each of these kanji. Japanese has a word for 'rest' - やすむ (yasumu). Someone, somewhere decided that it would be good to attach the native Japanese word to the kanji with the same (or close to the same) meaning. This reading, the one for native Japanese words, is kunyomi (くんよみ - It's common to write the kunyomi in hiragana). This meant that 休 could now be read as either キュウ or やすむ.

The vast majority of kanji (or at least common kanji - I can't say I know too much about obscure kanji) have BOTH a kunyomi AND an onyomi. Some have only one or the other. Some have more than one of either or both.

One other *important* thing to note about kunyomi readings. Quite often they incorporate kanji AND hiragana. Because of the way that verbs change tense or level of formality then ends of verbs that have kanji in them need to have changeable stems. That sounds confusing. Example time.

休 is read as やすむ, like I said. It means "to rest". But when you see it used you won't just see 休. You might see:

* 休む - this is the standard, "dictionary" or "informal" form. It's the verb in the present tense.
    * 休みます - this is the formal form of the verb (not used too often, this is just for an example). Note that む (mu) has changed to み (mu) and also added ます.
    * 休んだ - this is the past tense. む has again changed, this time to んだ.

Don't worry about tenses right now. Just know that some kunyomi will include hiragana as part of their readings.

Let's Kanji

So at this point we should start learning some kanji. There is an official list that the Japanese department of education uses for teaching children and I'm just going to pick some kanji from the beginning part of that list.

For all of the kanji below I'm going to use the following formula.

: キュウ - やす.む
    rest, day off, retire
    夏休み (なつやすみ): summer vacation

Red is this kanji itself.
    Blue represents the onyomi, or Chinese reading(s).
    Green represents the kunyomi, or Japanese reading(s). If the reading includes a mixture of kanji and hiragana a period (.) will indicate that everything after it should be written in hiragana.
    Purple represents the gloss, or general meaning(s) of the kanji.
    Brown represents examples that use the kanji, their pronunciation (in parentheses), and their definitions.

: イチ - イツ - ひと - ひと.つ
    one
    一度 (いちど): once; one time
    一月 (いちがつ): January

: ニ - ジ - ふた - ふた.つ
    two
    二月 (にがつ): February

: サン - み.つ - みっ.つ
    three
    三日 (みっか): the third day of the month; three days

: ニチ - ひ - か
    day, sun
    三日 (みっか): the third day of the month; three days
    日本 (にほん or にっぽん): Japan
    日よう日 (にちようび): Sunday

: ゲツ - ガツ - つき
    month, moon
    月 (つき): the moon
    一月 (いちがつ): January
    月よう日 (げつようび): Monday

: カ - ひ
    fire
    花火 (はなび): fireworks
    火よう日 (かようび): Tuesday

: スイ - みず
    water
    水 (みず): water
    水よう日 (すいようび): Wednesday

: ボク - モク - き
    tree, wood
    木 (き): tree
    木よう日 (もくようび): Thursday

: キン - コン - かね
    gold
    お金 (おかね): money
    金よう日 (きんようび): Friday

: ド - ト - つち
    soil, earth, ground
    土 (つち): earth; soil; dirt
    土よう日 (どようび): Saturday

Other things you might also want to know

Stroke Order: Kanji, like hiragana and katakana, when written are meant to be written in a specific order or lines or strokes. It's not something I can really go into detail with for obvious reasons, but it's important to know for when you do want to get to a point where you want to start writing.

Nanori: In addition to onyomi and kunyomi, kanji often nanori readings which are used in the creation of names (for people, places, etc.). These can vary wildly and there isn't any general rule to them. Just know that you might see kanji, particular in people's names, which have pronunciations that you don't normally see for those kanji.

Uuugh... that took too much time to type out .~.

LilacArcanine

Aiber Enthusiast
    Years
  • Ah, that's the word, nanori!

For example, the character for night, 夜, is often read よる (yoru), but in names it's や(ya), as in 夜神 (やがみ Yagami). So what's the word for if a foriegn word is conveyed through kanji, for example the character for moon, 月 (つき tsuki), being read as ライト (light)?

And yes, I am referring to the protagonist of Death Note here :P Liiightoooo :3

Years
  • I don't know if there is a word for what you're talking about. Furigana refers to the little hiragana and katakana above (or next to) kanji so that you know how to pronounce them. Usually that's done with names (people, places, etc.) and in anything that's meant for children and second language learners, but it can be used to indicate that you want certain kanji to be read certain ways that they might never be read normally, like in your example.

There are also instances where you have kanji (often a pair) that have special readings you only see when those kanji are together. An example is 煙草. By themselves they're the kanji for 'smoke' and 'grass' and together they're pronounced たばこ (tabako). By themselves neither would make the sounds they make together (if they followed normal rules they'd be pronounced as ensou or kemurigua or something like that). They're a special case, maybe because the word for 'tobacco' was brought into the language a longer time ago and it's an easy word to pronounce in Japanese so they made a special kanji pairing for it. The only word I can find to describe this kind of weird kanji pronunciation thing is gikun (義訓), but it's not a word I've come across in my own studying so I can't say if it's entirely correct. Now, unlike your example たばこ is considered a standard reading for those kanji when they're together and nowadays you're probably more likely to see たばこ or タバコ written anyway.

Hope that answers your question.

chezhead

Thirty characters is not enoug
    Years
  • I have a quick question: Whenever you say Bokutachi, does that mean Me(male) and my party? Or does it mean Me(male) and my male party?

Years
  • I have a quick question: Whenever you say Bokutachi, does that mean Me(male) and my party? Or does it mean Me(male) and my male party?
    Well, first of all boku (ぼく, ボク, or 僕) isn't always used by males. Usually it is, but not always. It's leaning slightly toward gender-neutral.

Anyway, for people who don't know this word, when you add tachi (たち or 達) to a noun you specify that it's plural. Japanese doesn't normally differentiate between singular (meaning one of something) and plural (more than one) nouns because you're supposed to already know from context how many of something you're talking about. However, there are some words where you should always assume it's singular unless you see tachi, like pronouns.

When you use a personal pronoun ("I" "me" "my") like boku or watashi and add tachi you're just turning that pronoun into a plural so you end up with we, us, our, and so on (if you actually want to specifically say something like "me and my party" then you'd want to use some extra words). Japanese has several words for "I" which each have peculiarities like which genders normally use them. boku and ore are typically male-use words and atashi is female while watashi is gender neutral, but it doesn't really matter if you have a mixed gender group or not - although at the moment I can't recall an instance where I've heard a woman use atashi when speaking about herself and a group that included men.

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
    Years
  • although at the moment I can't recall an instance where I've heard a woman use atashi when speaking about herself and a group that included men.

Hello, just popping in.
    In this situation the only person whose gender can be generalised is the person saying (w)atashi/ore/boku. It doesn't matter what gender the people in the group are, the (w)atashi/ore/boku is mainly used to refer to them self and the 「達」>tachi is what influences the phrase into a group.

I have a friend (female) who is teaching ballet to men in Japan, and she said the other day 「私達まだ練習が足りないんだ...」> Watashitachi mada rennshuuga tarinainda... > "We still haven't had enough practice..."

But like Scarf has said, it needs to be kept in mind that the recent generation in Japan has especially had girls that use ore/boku. But generally you can presume that ore/boku is a male thing.

Years
  • Hi peoples. I'm back and, hey, I have a great idea. Why don't we learn more about verbs? Yeah, grammar is a lot of fun. To make this easier for anyone who hasn't gotten their hiragana and katakana down you can hover over anything in Japanese to get its pronunciation.

I think I went over sentence order before. In case you forget it's Subject-Object-Verb (SOV) so remember to put that verb at the end. Now I'll just talk a little about what you can do with a verb, mainly what different forms it has. I might be repeating myself some from previous posts so just skip what you know already. There's a lot ahead so maybe you'll want to read only part for now.

Verbs

First of all I hope everyone knows what a verb is because I don't want to explain that. Japanese verbs can be written several different ways and it can get confusing remembering some of the irregularities so if you can practice using them that would be best to helping you remember them.

Dictionary Form

The standard way a verb is written is its dictionary form, which is, you guessed it, how it would appear in a dictionary. It might also be called the simple form or informal form or standard form or plain form depending on what you're reading and what they choose to call it, but it's all the same thing. This is the basis from which all other forms of verbs take their shape.

Before going on there are a few things to mention about verbs. All Japanese verbs (in their dictionary forms) will end with one of nine different kana: and . Notice that they're all 'u' sounding kana. Notice also that some 'u' kana aren't listed. Dictionary forms of verbs will never end in or .

It's also very common for verbs to have kanji in them. Almost without exception they will be at the beginning of the verb and they will absolutely never be at the end. Verbs will usually have just one kanji and one or more kana with the last kana being one of the nine listed above. Some verbs will also have no kanji. Got it? Example time.
    話す: This verb has one kanji and one kana. The kana is one of the 9 used to end verbs.
    食べる: This verb has one kanji and two kana. The last kana is one of the 9 kana used to end verbs.
    頑張る: This verb has two kanji and one kana. The kana is one of the 9 used to end verbs.
    する: No kanji. The last kana is one of the 9 kana used to end verbs.
    There's a good reason the last part of a verb needs to be in kana and that's because the last kana can change.

Ch-ch-changes

There are several grammatical reasons verbs need to change: tense (such as past or present), negation (whether the verb is positive or negative) and formality.

Formality

To start off let's talk about formality because it's the easiest to understand. The Japanese language, as you might know, has different levels of politeness or formality to it. It can get quite complex, but for our purposes we'll simplify it by saying there are
    formal and informal ways of speaking. Some of this involves word choice, but some of it changes the structure of words entire, such as verbs.

When you want to use a verb in its formal form you change the ending kana by replacing the it with a similar kana and adding ます to the end of it. The kana you replace is the 'a' sound of whatever consonant you had. So for example, if your verb ended in you would change it to and add ます. If the verb has more than one kana in it you only change the last kana. Keep in mind that if the last kana is you have to change it to as there is no kana for 'si'.

Examples:
    話す becomes 話します
    飲む becomes 飲みます
    掘る becomes 掘ります
    Important exceptions!

Sometimes you do something different if the last kana is . If it is preceded by a kana or kanji that ends in an 'i' or 'e' sound you often remove the entirely.
    食べる becomes 食べます and not 食べります
    出る becomes 出ます and not 出ります
    And right after saying that I'm going to confuse you even more with an exception to the exception. There are two particular verbs which sound the same and change differently. If the verb is いる (to be) then you change it to います. If it is いる (to need) then you change it to いります. Confused yet? There's more.

Important irregularities!

Some specific verbs have their own rules on how they become formal.

来る [kuru] (to come) becomes 来ます [kimasu]
    する [suru] (to do) becomes します [shimasu]
    There are also a very verbs that change completely when you want to be extra formal, but that's getting way to far ahead so I'm not even going to touch those.

Negation

Still with me? Negation is simply whether a verb describes something as doing something or not doing something. In English we use separate words for this ("I eat cookies" / "I
    don't eat cookies"), but Japanese just changes the ending of the verbs again.

If you want to say that something does something normally you don't change anything, but if you want to say something
    doesn't do something then you have to make changes. Remember back a bit. To make verbs formal we changed their 'u' sounds to 'i' sounds and added ます to the end. To make verbs negative we change their 'u' sounds to 'a' sounds and add ない to the end.

Examples:
    話す becomes 話さない
    飲む becomes 飲まない
    掘る becomes 掘らない
    Important exceptions!

If the verb ends with う then instead of changing it to and adding ない you use and add ない.

Examples:
    歌う becomes 歌わない
    買う becomes 買わない
    Important irregularities!

A couple of verbs become negative in special ways. They are:
    来る [kuru] (to come) becomes 来ない [konai]
    ある [aru] (to be/to have) becomes ない [nai]
    する [suru] (to do) becomes しない [shinai]
    To make one of the formal, ます -verbs negative you change the ます to ません.

Examples:
    食べます becomes 食べません
    します becomes しません

Tense

Have I lost you yet? This next one is the big one: tense. There are quite a few tenses out there, but I'm only going to talk about the most common ones: future, present, and past.

Future Tense

You're going to love this one because there is no future tense. Well, that's not entirely accurate. You've already been learning the future tense without realizing it. That's because all the dictionary forms you have been learning are used to indicate the future tense. "Wait!" you're thinking. "I thought those dictionary forms were, like, the regular present tense." They are. They're both. It'll make more sense when you read about the present tense, which is coming up.... now!

Present Tense

Present tense comes in two categories. I don't really know the proper terms to describe them so I'll just call them the habitual present and the ing present. What do I mean? Compare these two sentences from English: "I go to school." / "I'm going to school." Both are present tense, but their meanings are slightly different. The first one you u
    se when you explain what you do regularly or habitually - the things you do in certain situations: "When I'm at the gym I lift weights." The other present tense, the one I call the ing present is how you talk about the things you're currently doing. "Hey, where are you going?" "I'm going to school." or "What are you doing at the gym?" "I'm lifting weights."

So where does the future tense come in? I'm getting to that, but first let me get to using the present tense in Japanese. To use the habitual present tense you use the forms you already learned. So, take for example:
    話す (plain), 話さない (plain, negative), 話します (formal), 話しません (formal, negative)
    All are in the present tense and all are in the habitual tense. And, get this, all are in the future tense. The only difference between habitual and future is context. Here are two examples:
    明日、何するの? (What will you do tomorrow?) 学校へ行く。(I'll go to school.)
    水曜日に何するの? (What do you do on Wednesdays?) 学校へ行く。 (I go to school.)
    The first answer answers in the future tense, the second in the present. Both answers are written with the same tense in Japanese.

The ing present tense is a little more difficult. Like most of what we've done so far it involves replacing the last kana of the verb with something else and attaching something to the end, in this case it's いる. The difference is that there is no 1-to-1 correspondence like before. You'll need to memorize what each of the 9 ending kana turn into. So without further ado:
    When you have a verb that ends in , , or you replace it with って
    When you have a verb that ends in , , or you replace it with んで
    If the verb ends in you replace it with いて
    If the verb ends in you replace it with いで
    If the verb ends in you replace it with して
    So, for example:
    待つ becomes 待って and you add the ending to get 待っている
    飲む becomes 飲んで and you add the ending to get 飲んでいる
    書く becomes 書いて and you add the ending to get 書いている
    泳ぐ becomes 泳いで and you add the ending to get 泳いでいる
    話す becomes 話して and you add the ending to get 話している
    It is also very common to drop the from the いる at the end so that 待っている becomes 待って and so on.

Important exceptions and irregularities!(You knew it was coming)
    する [suru] (to do) becomes して [shite]
    来る [kuru] (to come) becomes 来て [kite]
    行く [iku] (to go) becomes 行って [itte]
    Formal ます -ending verbs don't normally change like the above examples. Instead you change the いる at the end to います. You can still drop the .

To make these ing tense verbs negative (oh boy, here we go!) you change the いる at the end to いない or the います at the end to いません. So let's go over what we can do so far:

話す (plain), 話さない (plain, negative), 話します (formal), 話しません (formal, negative)
    話している (plain, ing), 話していない (plain, ing, negative), 話しています (formal, ing), 話していません (formal, ing, negative)
    alternately -> // 話してる (plain, ing), 話してない (plain, ing, negative), 話してます (formal, ing), 話してません (formal, ing, negative) //

Okay, one more tense to go.

Past Tense

After all that work and there's still more. You use the same formula you use to make the ing verbs, but instead of changing the kana to ones that end with an 'e' sound you change them to 'a' sounds. So then:
    When you have a verb that ends in , , or you replace it with った
    When you have a verb that ends in , , or you replace it with んだ
    If the verb ends in you replace it with いた
    If the verb ends in you replace it with いだ
    If the verb ends in you replace it with した
    And the examples:
    待つ becomes 待っだ
    飲む becomes 飲んだ
    書く becomes 書いた
    泳ぐ becomes 泳いだ
    話す becomes 話した
    Important exceptions and irregularities!

The same irregular verbs come into play here and like above you only change the last kana.
    する [suru] (to do) becomes した [shite]
    来る [kuru] (to come) becomes 来た [kite]
    行く [iku] (to go) becomes 行った [itte]
    Now, to create a formal ます verb in the past tense you change it to ました.

To make a very negative and past tense you take the non-past tense version and change the ない to なかった. So for example.

話さない becomes 話さなかった
    If you want to make a verb negative, past tense AND formal you take the non-past tense but still formal and still negative form of the verb (ません) and add to the end of that でした to get the combined ませんでした.
    話しません becomes 話しませんでした
    You can also combine the ing present tense with the past tense to make sentences like "I was doing." along with the simple past tense "I did." type of sentences. In these cases you take the ending いる or います and make them past tense. So...
    話している becomes 話していた
    And to make them also negative:
    話している becomes 話していなかった
    Are you still with me? I'm not even sure I'm still with me. Let's summarize what we know:

Summary Example

All the following examples use the verb 話す: to speak or talk. I stopped adding the hover over effect on these because I lost the strength to keep going after so much typing. orz

話す (plain, present or future tense) [I talk.] / [I will talk.]

話さない (plain, negative, present or future tense) [I don't talk.] / [I won't talk.]

話します (formal, present or future tense) [I talk.] / [I will talk.]

話しません (formal, negative, present or future tense) [I don't talk.] / [I won't talk.]

話している [or 話しる] (plain, ing present tense) [I am talking.]

話していない [or 話してない] (plain, negative, ing present tense) [I am not talking.]

話しています [or 話してます] (formal, ing present tense) [I am talking.]

話していません [or 話してません] (formal, negative, ing present tense) [I am not talking.]

話した (plain, past tense) [I talked.]

話さなかった (plain, negative, past tense) [I did not talk.]

話しました (formal, past tense) [I talked.]

話しませんでした (formal, negative, past tense) [I did not talk.]

話していた [or 話した] (plain, ing past tense) [I was talking.]

話していなかった [or 話してなかった] (plain, negative, ing past tense) [I was not talking.]

話していました [or 話してました] (formal, ing past tense) [I was talking.]

話していませんでした [or 話してませんでした] (formal, negative, ing past tense) [I was not talking.]

And don't forget about the irregular verbs!

Okay! That's it! No more... for now. If you read all of that and remembered anything then give yourself a pat on the back. If you see any errors please let me know.

Magicsaur

Code Hero
    Years
  • 私はヤドンをいま食べます。 (ため、ヤドンはバカ だ。) それはあたたかい と 大おいし よ。 それは大好きよ。。。

Years
  • 私はヤドンをいま食べます。 (ため、ヤドンはバカ だ。) それはあたたかい と 大おいし よ。 それは大好きよ。。。
    ハロー! ヤドンを食べちゃだめよ。 They're bad for your health. xD

Mind if I check your grammar? (It's a compulsion. I can't stop myself! @_@) Before I do here are some words to keep in mind:

おいしい: (adjective) tasty, delicious, etc.
    あたたかい: (adjective) warm
    食べる: (verb) to eat
    いま: (adverb) now
    : (noun) I, me
    ヤドン: (noun) Slowpoke

(Hover over them for help reading them.)

So, starting with your first sentence:

私はヤドンをいま食べます。
    (I eat Slowpokes now.)

Everything looks pretty good, except you'd more likely see いま at the beginning or near the beginning of the sentence instead of right before the verb. That's more of a style choice though.

Now if you want to say that you're currently eating a Slowpoke you'd want to say it like this:

私はヤドンをいま食べています。
    (I'm eating a Slowpoke right now.)

My previous post talks about the differences between saying something like "I eat" and "I am eating." And for the next sentence:

(ため、ヤドンはバカ だ。)
    (???, Slowpokes are stupid.)

Where it says ヤドンはバカ だ makes perfect sense (although you don't need a space). This is the basic kind of sentence that everyone will learn pretty early on: ★は△です or just ★ is △

Now ため is a word used to describe a reason or purpose or basis for something. You can say something like きみのために ("for the sake of you" / "for your sake") and it works like that, but if you want to say something like "I eat Slowpokes. It's because they're stupid." then you use a different piece of grammar.

You can add から to the end of a verb and it acts like the word "because". You can use it to join two sentences, too. Example:

私はヤドンを食べます。 おいしいです。
    (I eat Slowpokes. They are tasty.)

I makes sense that the two sentences are connected, but if you want to make it perfectly clear you join them with a 'because'

私はヤドンを食べます。 おいしいですから。
    (I eat Slowpokes because they are tasty.)

The Japanese version above is two sentences and the English is just one (because in English you're not supposed to start a sentence with 'because' but in Japanese you can), but the meaning is the same. So I would change your second sentence to:

ヤドンはバカだから。)
    (Because Slowpokes are stupid.)

That leaves us the third sentence:

それはあたたかい と 大おいし よ。
    (They are warm and very tasty.)

First of all, それ (meaning 'this' or 'these') is used for objects. You wouldn't use it for a person, for instance. I don't know quite where a pokemon fits on that scale, but we'll just ignore it for now.

You have two adjectives in this sentence あたたかい (warm) and 大おいし (tasty). First, a correction. おいし needs another い at the end: おいしい. There are quite a few adjectives that end in しい so just keep an eye out for them. That last い is a necessary part of the word even if it seems redundant. Next, you put 大 (big, large, great) in front of おいしい. I'm guessing you want to use it like "very" or "super" or something similar. In this case you'd want to use 超 (ちょう) instead. So that gives us this sentence now:

それはあたたかいと超おいしいよ。

There's only one other thing that needs changing now. Since you're saying that something is warm and tasty you need a word for 'and'. You used と, however と is only used with nouns. Adjectives have their own method. This requires my going into some detail on adjectives first so bear with me.

A Wild Adjectives Lesson Appeared!

Japanese adjectives come in two forms: な adjectives and い adjectives. いadjectives end in the kana い while na adjectives don't end in any specific kana and have to have な added to them in certain circumstances. So here are some examples of each.

い adjectives:
    おいし: tasty, delicious
    あたたか: warm
    むずかし: difficult
    たか: tall, expensive

な adjectives:
    しずか(): quiet
    げんき(): healthy, energetic
    ゆうめい(): famous
    きれい(): pretty, clean

As you might notice, not all adjectives that end in い are going to be い adjectives though. Knowing the difference simply comes down to remembering which are which and knowing which words are formed from kanji that derive their pronunciations from Chinese or native Japanese with い-ending Chinese-pronunciation-based adjectives usually being な adjectives. Moving along.

To create a string of い adjectives ("That person is tall and handsome and fun.") you take the adjective and replace the い with くて. In this way you're simply making an adjective like "warm" into "warm and". You do this over and over until the last adjective which you don't change. So, back to our sample sentence. We then get this:

それはあたたかくておいしよ。

And that's all you need to do. If you were dealing with な adjectives you would take the adjective (minus the な) and add で. You would string them together until the last adjective which wouldn't have anything added to it. You can also mix and match.

Okay, there's one sentence left and it's already fine so I'm going to string them all together.

私はヤドンをいま食べます。(ヤドンはバカだから。)それはあたたかくて超おいしいよ。それは大好きよ。。。

And I'll stop now, really. ^_^;

スポットライト

Challenge Enthusiast
    Years
  • I want to join!Know Hiragana,katakana,a few kanjjis,and a little grammar.

Some helpful advice, some time earlier there were the Boku and Ore thingy,well the plural for some pronouns usually is not with 達「たち」 but with ら instead there is a reason for that is that 達「たち」is formal while most of the pronouns aren't so to don't make a shock ら is used instead.

How to type in japanese

You can either get Japanese alphabet in your pc using a romaji goes kana/kanji system(on Control panel of your Pc,language and regions area) or you use a program. I use and recommend Wakan,they have a built-in dictionary however it's not perfect.If you don't want to install anything ajax Ime might work just fine for you.

Just googel Wakan and/or Ajax ime and you should find the websites

More...

I'm not sure if it was covered up before but just in case...

Do you see this small letter beween the po and to in my username?It's a small tsu that is a smal break(or you just say the consonant slightly longer).It's often used in japaense,especially with loan words such as supottoraito(spotlight) appuru(apple),or normal words ippon(one point) ippun(a minute),etc.

ね,よ and か

When you use ね it's kinda like this くまは青いですね(The bear is blue.Isn't it?)

Most of the time よ acts like an exclamation mark,giving a I'm sure feeling くまは青いですよ(The bear is blue!)

And か just make the sentence a question くまは青いですか (Is the bear blue?)

Last edited:
    Back