• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2009 to be successful? ( for pokemon )

Years
  • Yes folks do you think 2009 will be a successful year for pokemon?

Probably, because Platinum is probably going to do very well once the english version is released. I'm not sure what other games that are going to come out, though. We probably won't see any fifth generation games for a few years, and not another pokemon Wii game in about the same timeframe. There will probably be other pokemon games, though, like the dungeon/ranger ones or whatever they're called on the DS. I never liked those games, though. : /

Jumpluff

I make the Rules, You follow.
    Years
  • It sure will be a good year with Platinum and there Aniversary with maybe a Event Shaymin/Arceus. ^.^ Can't Wait!

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I think it is going to be a average year :\
    I think the first half of the year will be great, with Platinum and all but after that it will be pretty mediocre. For example, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Sky Explorers (or whatever it's called XD I forgot :\) will either be released at the end of the year, or the beginning of next year (maybe even later/earlier, who knows? :\)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yes, with the english Platinum and maybe a revelation of GSDS with the 12th film

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • It'll all come down to how hyped people are about the games. Platinum itself has a substantial amount of hype for its English release, so that alone would probably do Pokemon good. Not to mention all the events that seem to keep popping up all over the place. I just hope they're accessible to me, when they come over here... o.o There's a lot to 2009 for Pokemon that hasn't been declared yet, so it leaves a lot to be desired. We'll just have to wait to see how the year pans out, in the long run.

I'm personally just wanting a decent Shaymin for use. If I could get the Event one, or they released the Event Item for it... I'd be happy. ^^

As for if it will do better than some of the other stuff being released this year... maybe not. Resi Evil 5 is released next month and towards the end of February/beginning of March, Halo Wars is released, which anything Halo-related gets instant 100% hype. (a friend of mine is looking forward to it SO MUCH, he just won't stop playing the demo... ._. ) But for Nintendo, Pokemon will still do really well, regardless. I mean, its Pokemon... how can it NOT do well?

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • I wouldn't say successful...
    But! Eventful, maybe.

They're releasing Platinum in the the US.
    The last movie for the DPPt Trilogy is being released.
    If there's a Gen 5 we'll see the first few Pokemon this year, probably.
    They could possibly announce GS Remakes, if they're planning on making them.

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
  • It leans toward the success side. With the game releases usually doing well, it's likely that they'll rake in a nice profit. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of money-making from the new movie however, straight-to-DVD movies (unless they are produced by Disney) usually don't make too much money.

Regardless however, they'll still be able to line their wallets from Platinum sales, I'm sure.

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
  • 2009 Success!

In Japan's 2008 release of Pokemon Platinum, it was the second-most sold game.
    I believe that the future releases of Pokemon Platinum to many other countrys will make it highly successful.
    I'm not quite sure about the DVD sales though...

Last edited:
    Years
  • It leans toward the success side. With the game releases usually doing well, it's likely that they'll rake in a nice profit. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of money-making from the new movie however, straight-to-DVD movies (unless they are produced by Disney) usually don't make too much money.

Regardless however, they'll still be able to line their wallets from Platinum sales, I'm sure.

Um, while pokemon movies are usually straight to DvD in North America, they're almost always (if not always) released in theaters in Japan, and do better than most people would expect. Besides, the pokemon movies really do not cost very much money to make, so if we all assumed it'd always get released to DvD straight away, it'd still make a huge profit when you compare to how much the movie cost to make. Also, with the 11th movie premiering in english on the Cartoon Network, that also gives them extra amounts of cash as opposed to them sending it to DvD straight away.

Any who, this year will be good for pokemon. People seem to be quite excited for Platinum, because (in my opinion) this version seems to be a big step up from D/P, and is a huge improvement to the story line, and the overall gameplay in general, so chances are it'll do extremely well, since most pokemon fans seem to be impatient for a new addition to the series. There'll also be more minor pokemon games that won't be as successful, but will still make money, of course.

This may not be the year that pokemon makes the most amount of money, but this is only because their brand new projects haven't been released yet. I'm sure that the next generation of games will do very well, whether they're a remake of G/S/C, or a new generation entirely, or both (like what happened in the 3rd generation). :)

Sparkle

Ninetales Rocks :D
    Years
  • Hopefully. With Platinum, and Maybe the new mystery dungeon game being released. Also, doesn't a new anime series start this year?

Artyte

Bin- No Pokemon Prejudice
    Years

Dang, have you seen the success of pokemon? I mean, every year hasn't failed to be a good year for pokemon franchise. TCG, Games, and Manga selling well, with lot's of Anime watchers too. I know some of you hate the anime, but do not consider your case as the a wholesome one, many people still do watch pokemon anime, and it is still ranked at top 10.

I agree with them, platinum will cause pokemon to have a good year, and by far is the best nintendo ds selling game.

Also, pokemon will soon reach the top selling video game franchise in the world, as it is catching up with mario. A few years ago, mario was at first position with 180m sold. Pokemon was at second with 140m sold. Now positions are still the same, but mario has 201m sold while pokemon has 180m sold. This shows a decrease in the difference of sales, which eventually, if the pattern continues, pokemon would be the top selling one in the world. The 3rd and so forth in position will never catch up with mario and pokemon. Reason 1: They need a long selling history. Reason 2: Their sales as compared to pokemon and mario has a HUGE diffeence. Sims at third has only just celebrated its 100m sales, while at fourth need for speed, has almost reached 100m. Even blizzard cannot catch up with sims, can you believe that? I mean all of their games sales combined from starcraft series, to warcraft series and diablo series could not even defeat the cumulative sales of sims.

And don'tue think it is a bit too late to ask this question, i mean look at the date? We should have posted this on january the first.

Still I have to say my main reason for pokemon's good 2009 year. Pokemon's influence on the world is too great to cease and pokemon's merchandises in the world will never cease to sell at a rapid rate.

Last edited:

Mæstro

"Agent of Chaos."
    Years
  • Probably, because Platinum is probably going to do very well once the english version is released. I'm not sure what other games that are going to come out, though. We probably won't see any fifth generation games for a few years, and not another pokemon Wii game in about the same timeframe. There will probably be other pokemon games, though, like the dungeon/ranger ones or whatever they're called on the DS. I never liked those games, though. : /

They might make a Wii game, I wonderful Platinuim is able to be used on Battle Revolution... if not they should so make a new game as soon as possible. Also I do imagine an Arceus would be given out this year, especially with the.... 12th movie is it... ? I can't wait either, I got a hacked one now but I hate hacks so - grawr. New generations, yes, years from now, but nonetheless, Platinum will kick off the year nicely. :D

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I believe so, I mean the release of platinum in the US next month, and the release in UK in may. Plus the 12th movie premeering Arceus, maybe a revealed GSC DS remake, the new mystery dungeon game, an arceus event, and who knows what else! :D

Back