• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What will happen?

• Total voters
    Years

As you've all heard, December 21st, 2012 is the date designated by the Mayan Long Count calender as the end of the current 13th B'ak'tun, or 5,125 year cycle. the Mayans, using their advanced knowledge of astronomy, accurately predicted several current astronomical events, such as the Galactic Alignment, where the sun's orbit takes in into the exact center of the milky way galaxy, and the transit of Venus, where the Planet Venus crosses in front of the sun and will be viewable. The last6 B'aktun ended roughly as the last

Now many misconceptions exist about 2012. Mainly, the fact that the world will end in 2012, in a violent Apocalypse. In truth, the word apocalypse doesn't even have anything to do with destruction or the end of the world. It comes from the Greek word
    Apokálypsis, meaning, a revelation, or to reveal something. The true meaning of apocalypse became distorted over time. So the fact that the world will end on 12/21/2012 is simply a modern construct. It is a falsehood.

However, there is evidence that supports a theory that 12/21/2012 will have some sort of lasting event
    or that earth-changing events will transpire.

Example #1

The Galactic Alignment

Spoiler:

Example #2

Timewave Theory and the I-Ching

Spoiler:

Example #3

The Tortuguero

Spoiler:

Example # 4

The Georgia Guidestones.

Spoiler:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon

So, what do you think will happen on 12/21/2012? Based on the scientific and historic facts and theories we know?

Last edited:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    on that particular day I may be christmas shopping,
    as I read somewhere the supposedly 'new' doomsday is 2040.

Years
    I couldn't care less.

If the world ends, there is nothing that can be done, so no point even discussing it. But it won't end. It really won't.

How many times have we survived impending doom already in our life time? I honestly think nothing will happen. I would back my opinion up with scientific evident, but it is 7am and I am going Uni in a few minutes! XD​

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I'll be enjoying my first year out of university. Good times. Might even be shopping with any money I've gotten from whatever job I may have.

Oh yeah, and there will probably be some crazies causing trouble and making good people suffer. Take a look at this. Yes, that is 100% real: people are actually considering killing their families and friends because some old rocks and calendars say something may happen. Not will happen, may happen.

People are free to believe what they will, I won't tell them how to live their lives. However, when their beliefs start endangering others, my tolerance goes down the drain.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    OP is a repost of a repost of a...

We should all just live our lives as normal in the meantime.
    If something will happen, we can't stop it anyway. If it won't, nothing of value would be lost on pointless actions.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    I don't really believe in 2012~ But my friends does so one of them booked the biggest ice-rink at the last day of 2011 in Hong Kong just for the 3 of us~~

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    2012, is, well, just any other year. If the world ends, then it does. There's no stopping that. But I've got a strong feeling that it won't. I know it, I feel it in my bones. And right about that time I'll be on Christmas shopping probably. I just don't believe with "doomsdays". If there is such a thing, then yippee? Nah, I still think nothing will happen.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Well, if anything happens on that day I'll probably be at the mall finishing up Christmas shopping. I'm not gonna change my plans because of some ancient rumor.

Then again, the worst thing I'm expecting that day is for me to spend all my money at the mall.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Truth is. I don't know what to expect, but I expect...something to happen. I've seen enough movies to know that underestimating the power and wisdom of ancient shamans is foolhardy and just begging to be thoroughly unprepared for whatever may come. XD

Of course, the whole end of the world thing is simply evangelical Christians rallying up new membership, so that's just...no...just no...

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I honestly can't be bothered with 2012. Even if something does happen, what does it matter? We can't stop it. So until then, I'm just gonna live my life and not worry about it.

I'll just be Christmas shopping in the meantime.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Dude, I'm the most paranoid person I know and even I don't think anything is going to happen.

Every now and then, I do ask myself what if... but that's just curiosity.

Years
    As you've all heard, December 21st, 2012 is the date designated by the Mayan Long Count calender as the end of the current 13th B'ak'tun, or 5,125 year cycle. the Mayans, using their advanced knowledge of astronomy, accurately predicted several current astronomical events, such as the Galactic Alignment, where the sun's orbit takes in into the exact center of the milky way galaxy, and the transit of Venus, where the Planet Venus crosses in front of the sun and will be viewable.
    Maybe you meant the sun passes through the galaxy's ecliptic? If my science isn't too shabby then the center of the galaxy is a super massive black hole and the sun sits in one of the Milky Way's arms and wouldn't ever come near the center.

In any case, there's no good reason to think anything more special will happen on Dec. 21, 2012 than on any other day except for the things caused by crazy people who believe the world will end. Actually, that does worry me ever so slightly. I don't want to see people die because of insane some misconception about the world ending.

On a related note, it seems there are some Christian groups out there who are saying the world will end sooner, on May 21, 2011.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I used to be paranoid about this when I first saw this myself, I was a believer of this theory for some months, but then I researched into it some more, at first I thought the reason for this was that Planet X or Nibiru was going to crash into earth, but Nibiru, dosen't exsist, even NASA said so, and Planet X is the term given to an unamed Planet in the Solar System. Then I read about the Galactic Rift or The Dark Rift theory, which made more sence of being plausable, but then I read into it and we don't actually pass through the galactic rift for another 20 million years or so because we are somewhat 100 lightyears above the Galactic Equator. The Mayan Calander ending has NO link to the end of the world, it's just a hoax, something for scaremongers to base their theories on. I'll tell you what happend after the Mayan Calander on 21st December 2012, it will go onto the next Baktun (14th) that will last for another 144,000 days, just like the 13th did (the one that ends on 21st December, 2012)
    The real threats are natural, things like volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, asteroids ect.
    The only real concern scientists have is the Solar Maximum that will occur 2012-2013 when the sun will be at it's greatest solar activity which will cause Solar Flares to be released from the sun jolting it towards earth which will knock out most of the satelite and paralyze electricity for several months, that's the only real threat that is occuring in the next couple of years, the only reason NASA is worrying is because we rely so much on technology, and this happened back in the 1800's but back then there wasn't any technology.. well hardly. What i'm trying to say is if this was true, why would NASA be warning us about the Solar Storms for 2012-2013 which bare in mind, 2013 is after 2012.

This is just my opinion, if it happens, then I'm wrong and there's nothing we can do about it, but it sounds a bit far fetched to be real.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    If the Mayans could predict the downfall of the world, how could they not know their own downfall of their civilization?

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Here's the rub. If there were any such impending cataclysm slated to occur on that date in 2012, we would inevitably know about it by now...especially if it were something we could not stop. Earthquakes, tidal waves, asteroid impacts and anything powerful enough to potentially wipe us off the face of the planet is easily predicted and proven to occur in the near future by science. This means that anything and everything that could END the world would not happen.

Now I cannot and will not refute that something may happen in 2012 that changes the course of history, but I doubt in the extreme that it would cause human extinction unless we carpet nuked every country on the planet.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    Um, since I'll be a first year university student in 2012, on the 24th I'll either be:
    1) On a trip with my family (my parents really like to travel)
    2) Shopping (but I don't celebrate Christmas?)
    3) On a trip with friends
    4) Drunk? (I'm not sure about that. :o)
    But no, the world will not end that day. Period.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    If the Mayans could predict the downfall of the world, how could they not know their own downfall of their civilization?

I agree with this.

I honestly don't think anything is going to happen. Either way, I'll be celebrating Yule and my anniversary with my girlfriend so in some ways I look forward December 21st, 2012 x3

Years

Well, they didn't predict the end of the world.

They did, however, have a prophecy that giant, light skinned men, wearing shining armor, would cross over from the ocean- to them it was the God Quetzalcoatl returning. So they techincally did. :x

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    My thoughts on this matter are kind of confusing on the outside. So I'm going to do my best to open this up and describe it, if only just a little.

I do think a world might end in 2012. No, not as in "OMG RUN WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!" kind of end. Not in the slightest. I think that somewhere in the near-ish future (Maybe not THAT date but probably somewhere in my lifetime) the world AS WE KNOW IT will end. We won't all die. Humans are notoriously adaptable, it's why we have become so successful as we have as a species. But really, this seeming outbreak (or maybe, to me, a more noticeable upswing of attention on it) of disasters, practically all natural, is hint enough that something is to come. Again, I doubt it will be too cataclysmic or the corrupted version of "apocalyptic", but I do think our lifestyle (Mostly America and other "westernized" nations, if I remember the term right. If not I apologize) will be given a bigger kick from nature than we think to change. It MIGHT happen in 2012. MIGHT being the key term here. Signs say that it conceivably could. But if it doesn't then, it will in due time after that date.

I feel like I said a whole lot about nothing.... >.>

Back