• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

30 Days of Gaming Challenge

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
Years
  • Day 3 - A Game That is Underrated

I know of a lot of games that I would say are underrated, but none come to mind right away. Super Mario Sunshine, maybe? I personally loved the game, but I've seen that a lot of reviews or comments about it say that Sunshine's gameplay is inferior to Super Mario 64 because of FLUDD, and the fact that the game is more linear with the order that you have to obtain the Shine Sprites in. FLUDD in particular seems to be unpopular because of how he replaced punching and long-jumping. But I really enjoyed the level designs, music, and new mechanics; the only thing that I didn't like was the introduction of losing a life if you failed a challenge (i.e. losing to II Piantissimo, not collecting the red coins before time ran out, etc.), and how that's been a staple in Mario games ever since. I never knew losing a foot race could be lethal...

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Day 3 - A Game That is Underrated

highseashavoc_00.gif

This great title came out in 1994 (Europe under the name of Capt'n Havoc) for the Genesis/Megadrive. Even though people might say it is a Sonic knockoff, even if it was, it was still one of the best games in it's time. The downside which may have hurt its' reputation was the fact that the difficulty was very high, so you could probably lose all your lives on the Mt Chester Boss (My Da did) or if that didn't beat you, then Mt Bernardo's Wolf boss certainly did. The final boss was still very hard but not as hard as the Wolf boss.

The gameplay is excellent, the feel of the controls is great too, and even the music is very top notch. It's not as if Havoc can run at the speed of light, either. Another thing missing from this game was probably a save menu or a password mechanic. But, a game that really deserved a sequel but was never even thought of.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Day 3 - A Game That is Underrated

viva-pinata-lolz-o.gif

Back when I bought my Xbox 360, I had a choice to get Viva Pinata or some puzzler game. I thought Pinata looked neat, so I got it. All my friends laughed at me when I played it, but they were missing out. Viva Pinata is one of my all-time favorite games and the level of detail, depth, and quality of the game speaks volumes. If you own an Xbox 360 and find this title, buy it. You won't regret it and you'll fall in love with the little pinata-critters.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Day 3 - A game that is underrated.

Tin Star was a highly underrated and forgotten shooter for the SNES. It had cutsie graphics and a somewhat childish storyline while still being somewhat serious. Tin Star rides out on his trusty steed Aluminum to fight crime as the new sheriff in town. Some of these levels are ridiculously easy but some of them are also extremely hard requiring super fast reflexes. And the game had multiple endings that were decided by how accurate you were in the missions.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Day 3: A Game That is Underrated.

Actually, several games come to mind.. I'm pretty sure my childhood was full of "cult classics" that very few people have ever played, or even cared for, lol.
    I was originally going to say Super Mario Sunshine, but that's been done. I do agree with that, though, it was actually one of my favorite Mario games to date.

So I'm giving yet another shout-out to Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.
    It was praised and so well-loved, it won a shit ton of awards, and that all sounds good, right? But here's the kicker - it sold less than half a million copies worldwide. Near-universal critical acclaim, and less than 500k sales. How does that even happen?!

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
    Years
  • Day 2 - Your favorite character.

Tails from the Sonic franchise, for no reason other than I just like him. I don't need a reason, do I? '-'

Day 3 - A game that is underrated.

The Magical Drop series. The entire series - don't worry, all of the games are the same. It's a competitive puzzle game that mostly called the Neo-Geo its home. It has a heavy focus on its characters unlike other puzzle games, and the action can get intense near the end of a round.

Stateside, the most accessible version is Magical Drop V, which is on Steam.

Years
  • Day 2 - Your Favorite Character
    Spoiler:

Sly Cooper is my favorite character because the Sly games were some of my favorite games growing up. Sly is an awesome thief whose games really got me into the stealth genre. He's also smooth af.
    Lightning from FFXIII and Riku from Kingdom Hearts are tied for 2nd place

Day 3 - A game that is underrated
    Spoiler:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone. I had this game for PC when i was young and I loved it to death, even though my computer could barely run it. Quidditch was really fun. Finding secrets around Hogwarts was magical. (get it)

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
    Years
  • Day 3 - A game that is underrated
    The Boktai series. The series was developed by Konami and is an RPG focused on stealth, and it needs sunlight for some features to work. There are 3 games in the series, but only 2 of them got released outside of Japan.
    The games are about a boy named Django that travels around the world, defeating Undeads, Immortals and Eternals, and in some games, Django gets some useful transformations as well.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Day 2: Your Favorite Character

300px-Abe0.jpg

Abe - Oddworld
    If my name is any evidence, I am a massive fan of the Oddworld series. I first saw my dad play these games when I was a wee lad, barely even learning to play my Sega Genesis. The impact and likeability of Abe ingrained him into my young, sci-fi infatuated self. Abe plays the unlikely hero, and super underdog as he is very easy to kill in pretty much every entry in the series. Despite his outer weakness, he always finds the strength to pull through at the end! Unless you killed all the Mudokons, in which case he probably dies. Go figure!

Day 3: A Game That Is Underrated
    I've never been very good at these. Most of the games I used to think were underrated either weren't or are not as good as I remember them being. Sonic Spinball is not a good game. But it is a fun game. It's important to remember the difference. So if you've never given it a play before, try Sonic Spinball.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Day 3 - A game that is underrated.
    Hmmmmm... Pretty much any game I've played that's underrated is only underrated because not enough people have played it, so I'd describe them more as unknown.

But I guess I'll go with Tales of VS. It does fall into unknown in the sense that it never got localized, but I know a fair few people who played it and put it down really quickly. Or people who could have easily played it and didn't bother. It was actually a really good game! It's Yet Another Tales Spinoff, but I happen to love those because I'm in Tales for the characters and seeing them interact with other characters in the franchise is the best. The game is kinda iffy on the plot, but I looooved the battles. It's essentially Smash Bros with Tales mechanics and it plays surprisingly well. Even playing as a mage is balanced, which was something I'd really worried about going in. My only regret was that I never had anyone to play it with. :(

pkmin3033

Day 4 - Your guilty pleasure game.

Theatrhythm-Final-Fantasy.png

"Just a quick go..."
    *twenty mintes later*
    "Alright, one more song..."
    *one hour later*
    "...damnit!"

This is the game that I can pick up and play...and play...and play. It's great for a quick pick-up session, but a lot of the time it turns into a small marathon as I frequently lose track of time when playing it. It's even made me appreciate songs from games that I either outright disliked (FFIX) or thought had a lousy overall soundtrack (FFXIII-2) which is in itself a miracle. I suppose if I have a guilty pleasure game, Theatrhythm would be it, as I frequently play it for longer than I intend to or should. xD

Years
  • Day 4 - Your guilty pleasure game.

th

Yep, it's Pokemon. It's funny to think that even though I'm on a Pokemon site, Pokemon is my guilty pleasure game. I think it's because I once tried to quit it, but seeing my little bros play it drew me back in after like 1-2 years of not playing it. I guess this makes me feel like I failed something, but don't get me wrong it was worth it.​

DerpyTails

PokeBrony
    Years

The Build-a-Bear Workshop Games (Wii and DS)
    While yes they are Kids games, I happen to like the stores IRL myself and the Mini-Games aren't that bad either (thought I'm still missing the DS Sequel :p)

Nakala Pri

GTA 4. I'm a pretty violent person and I can shoot people's faces off and run them over and light them on fire with Molotov Cocktails! =D So fun! I also love playing Unreal Tournament 2004 when I get really mad. I activate InstaGib and blow off their heads and cackle evilly.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years

Guilty pleasure? That's...a tough one. There aren't really many games that I play that I don't want others knowing about, if any. This one is less me being indecisive and more just not knowing if there's an answer.

I'm gonna have to say none. There really just aren't any games that I only feel comfortable playing behind closed doors. I think there were, at a time, these days I spend most of my time with roomates, so there's really nothing to hide.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Day 4 - Your Guilty Pleasure Game

Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. I define "guilty pleasure" as a game you just can't put down no matter how many times you play it and this gMe rightfully fits that definition for me. I'm pretty sure that I've beaten the game at least 10 times now and I never lose interest with it with each play through. And that's only on the Gmecube version; you could only imagine my excitement when I had heard that it was being remastered for the Wii U.

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
    Years
  • Day 4 - Your guilty pleasure game
    It was already mentioned, but mine is also Tomodachi Life. It's fun to see yourself, your family, friends, and characters from other media do silly things, dress in clothes they would never wear, sing songs with weird lyrics, and many other things.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Day 4 - Your guilty pleasure game.

THE SIMS

tumblr_nie0itlznE1qlq15io2_250.gif
    tumblr_nie0itlznE1qlq15io1_250.gif
    tumblr_nie0itlznE1qlq15io3_250.gif

(via)

There is a brief period of time every year where I have a very sudden urge to play a Sims game, and when I do, I sink way too many hours into having a virtual life. The sad thing is that for the most part, I lead completely mundane lives in my games - I don't even get bored and drown my Sims in an inescapable pool or force them into a life of criminal activity; I just go to school, get a real job, have kids and die, and I can't explain why it gives me so much joy to accomplish these things in a video game.

Yukari

I don't have one. No kidding.

Back