• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] 4th/5th Gen Abilities in 3rd Gen Games?

sonicfan7895

Just a dude, I guess
Years
  • This may seem like a very major thing (and it may be too hard to accomplish), but would there be the possibility of adding new abilities to the 3rd Gen games, if at the very least some 4th Gen abilities?

Like Scyther and Scizor having Technician in Emerald, for example. Would that be a thing?

Huy567

The Shadow Feather
    Years
  • Actually, I've spent the last couple of days digging into this. It does require some ASM, which is assembly language, but it's possible. You also have to have some experience with
    a hex editor. First, just find the ability name and description tables in your rom and then expand them. Then use knizz's database to find the asm of an ability that is similar to yours. Make a branch and then write your new ability there and add in a check to see if the pokemon has that ability or not. Then use Gamer2020's PGE and edit the names and descriptions of the new abilities. So like if you make a new ability with id number 0x256, then add the 0x256 check when writing your ability. Then just assign a pokemon that ability and voila! It's actually simple, but you need to know ASM to actually understand. lol

sonicfan7895

Just a dude, I guess
    Years
  • Okay! Thanks! :D

I'm actually not too big on ASM, but if it means learning it just to add new abilities, then I most certainly can and will learn it. :) I'm mainly planning to add Technician to the game for Scyther and Scizor. Should be fun.

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
  • I'm actually working on doing this same thing in my little project, and it's entirely possible to do.

Abilities don't have any passive coding behind them, they're just checked on an as-needed basis. For example, to add Technician you'd need to add two checks to the damage calculation routine: does the user have the Technician ability? -> is the move 60 power or less? -> multiply damage

sonicfan7895

Just a dude, I guess
    Years
  • For example, to add Technician you'd need to add two checks to the damage calculation routine: does the user have the Technician ability? -> is the move 60 power or less? -> multiply damage

That's all well and good, and I've been looking into tutorials on how to use ASM effectively, but I just can't understand it for the life of me... Me and ASM don't get along well with each other...

But, I'm still willing to learn it and understand it more, in order to add the ability into my game.

Let me go on into how I'm doing this so far (waiting for understanding on ASM, then implementing it). On a backed-up ROM, I have the ability names and descriptions repointed to free space in the far end of the data (ability names start at offset 0xE3F0AA, while descriptions start off 11 bits after that (with past experiences, I didn't want the new data to be too close to existing data, which could potentially cause game-breaking corruptions)). I've also changed the roms.ini in my GBAPGE folder, making for 79 abilities total in the game, and filling that new space with Technician. Adding a description for Technician is hard though, considering I don't understand what hex codes are used for each individual character. I won't go on into detail about it, but all I can say is converted text into basic hex codes just won't do the trick.

I've seen tutorials on here on how to use ASM, but it's just not cutting it for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is, are there any good tutorials on ASM that are not on this site (not that any of the tutorials for this are bad, it's just I can't understand it without real-time step-by-step instructions like in videos)? If you can, send me a PM with a video link...

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • That's all well and good, and I've been looking into tutorials on how to use ASM effectively, but I just can't understand it for the life of me... Me and ASM don't get along well with each other...

But, I'm still willing to learn it and understand it more, in order to add the ability into my game.

Let me go on into how I'm doing this so far (waiting for understanding on ASM, then implementing it). On a backed-up ROM, I have the ability names and descriptions repointed to free space in the far end of the data (ability names start at offset 0xE3F0AA, while descriptions start off 11 bits after that (with past experiences, I didn't want the new data to be too close to existing data, which could potentially cause game-breaking corruptions)). I've also changed the roms.ini in my GBAPGE folder, making for 79 abilities total in the game, and filling that new space with Technician. Adding a description for Technician is hard though, considering I don't understand what hex codes are used for each individual character. I won't go on into detail about it, but all I can say is converted text into basic hex codes just won't do the trick.

I've seen tutorials on here on how to use ASM, but it's just not cutting it for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is, are there any good tutorials on ASM that are not on this site (not that any of the tutorials for this are bad, it's just I can't understand it without real-time step-by-step instructions like in videos)? If you can, send me a PM with a video link...
    Sure, probably not for pokemon, though. ASM stands for assembly, as in the Assembly Programming Language. I'm sure you'd find tons of Assembly videos around the net (maybe even some for Pokemon).

sonicfan7895

Just a dude, I guess
    Years
  • Okay. Give me a few days to find it, learn how it works and see if I can come up with an ASM code, and then maybe I'll post it here, or in the Research and Development sub-thread...

Huy567

The Shadow Feather
    Years
  • Okay! Thanks! :D

I'm actually not too big on ASM, but if it means learning it just to add new abilities, then I most certainly can and will learn it. :) I'm mainly planning to add Technician to the game for Scyther and Scizor. Should be fun.

Dude you do not know how hard it is to get this info lol everyone just harps about how hard it is but no actual detail on HOW to do it XD and i feel the same way about ASM, but you gotta do what you gotta do XP

Huy567

The Shadow Feather
    Years
  • Adding a description for Technician is hard though, considering I don't understand what hex codes are used for each individual character.

You don't have to know what hex are used for each character. What I did for each description was I
    wrote a script with a string like

#dynamic 0x0800000
    #org @string
    = This is a description for our new\nability.

and then implemented it. Then in PGE I just repointed the description offset.

As for tutorials on adding abilities through ASM, there is none; not that I know of. The information I got was from directly asking members and hoping they were nice enough to share; in this case, yes XD. But I'll help you step by step if you want. Just PM me.

Back