• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 8, 2015
    You know what, I definitely will, I'll play through Platinum. But yeah, definitely pick up one of the games when you can, they're most definitely worth a playthrough. I invested hundreds of hours into my first file on Diamond, and the only game I've invested more time onto was my Silver version back on the Gameboy.

Years
  • If you want to play a Sinnoh game, Platinum is your best bet. It fixes so many issues that Diamond & Pearl had, such as the terribly slow speed and also a bigger Sinnoh Dex during the main story, which has some extra Pokemon available including the new evolutions of the older Pokemon, and also Eevee and all the (at-the-time) Eeveelutions. The extra additions allow for more flexible team-building, which wasn't easy in D/P.

There's also a much bigger story and postgame in Platinum, along with having some tough NPCs which are challenging, making for great replay value among older Pokemon fans who prefer the old days of actual challenge in the game.

So, in the end don't bother with Diamond & Pearl at all. I mean, who wants to play a game where your only option for a Fire-type was Ponyta unless you picked Chimchar as your starter? Platinum fixed up that type balance issue really well.

Years
  • Definitely a good selection on your part; Platinum will surely be worth your time. Even though they're not as good today, I still invested the highest save time on my Pearl version to date...sigh.

Years
  • Just curious

Would somebody be able to rant about Gen 4 on this forum WITHOUT starting drama?
    Because I use another forum frequently, and whenever I state my unpopular opinions there, drama follows.

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2018
    Soul Silver or Black 2?

Hello. I am looking to buy one of these two. I have not played either, but I have played White. I am most likely going to be shiny hunting/ soft reseting. Which one should I buy? Thanks :)

Years
  • While this would be best done in the Pokémon Gaming Central Quick Questions and Answers Thread, I think Black 2 would be the more fun pic, at least if you're one that wants an adventure that can go fluidly with plenty of Pokémon. Soul Silver is arguably more challenging, but it is terrible with training. If you weren't held up by the lack of post-game in White, Black 2's will likely make up for it with the PWT and Black Tower. And lots of other various post-game content. At a same time, a lot of the B2W2 haters are the big fans of the original BW, but please pay no mind to those that trash it for the story or being the same thing, it has lots to do - as far as the adventure goes it's more to BW than Emerald is to RS, i'd say.

But Soul Silver isn't too far behind, especially if you're a major fan of Johto, since it has walking Pokémon and a nice touch screen to take advantage of. And as I said, it does have another good helping of post-game, these two games rival each other for the best in the series on that note.

Anything else I could possibly insight you with?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • While this would be best done in the Pokémon Gaming Central Quick Questions and Answers Thread,
    Or, the Fourth Generation Help Thread.

As for your question, I'd recommend Soul Silver (mainly because of personal preference). Not only is is set it one of the best regions ever, it's challenging, really nostalgic and has a number of added features like the PokeAthlon and the follow me feature!

Anyway, moving this into the 4th Gen Help Thread. :)

Years
  • Just getting into HGSS again and have a question:

Why do/would I get the message "there are no apricorns" from every apricorn bush?

Years
  • Just getting into HGSS again and have a question:

Why do/would I get the message "there are no apricorns" from every apricorn bush?

As far as I know, the Apricorn trees regrow a new Apricorn every day. If you pick it, a new one will be on the tree the very next day. You can also buy Apricorns at the Pokeathlon's Athlete Shop.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2015
    Pokemon Fossils Platinum

Hey just hoping someone would help me out i have been playing Platinum but for the life of me i can't find any of the fossils underground do anyone know how to get them or do they just show up randomly and i just have to keep digging.

Years
  • That's right, they have a fairly low chance of being found so you basically have to just hope it comes to you eventually.

Also, in case you don't already know, your ID No determines which of the two from Sinnoh you can get. I think Cranidos is odd, Shieldon is even, could be wrong though.

Years
  • Also, in case you don't already know, your ID No determines which of the two from Sinnoh you can get. I think Cranidos is odd, Shieldon is even, could be wrong though.

You are actually correct. Cranidos can be obtained if the Trainer ID No. ends in 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9. Shieldon can be obtained if the ID No. ends in 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2015
    Well i know i will be getting Cranidos but everytime i dig all am getting is those's spheres does anyone know what part of the map i need to be in or how far into the game i need to be before they i can dig them up?

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Hey, I was just wondering something. Since this generation no longer supports Wifi I'll have to do Wireless trading with myself. But I've never tried Wireless trading before. I know, I'm an idiot for asking but how do I do wireless trading with another DS that's in the room with me? I'll be trading between a DS Lite and a DSi XL.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Well i know i will be getting Cranidos but everytime i dig all am getting is those's spheres does anyone know what part of the map i need to be in or how far into the game i need to be before they i can dig them up?

Its kinda random actually your gonna have to keep digging wherever theres an area and try to get some luck. Although i didnt like this method its the one GF chose.

They are uncommon and theyre rarity compared to spheres is not good so its a game of chance.
    If your interested in the rarity of certain items you can also check serebii it has a pretty good amount of info on what u will find but once again locations are all random

Years
  • So in Platinum, how long does it generally take for Berries to fully grow into a tree? Because I planted like 14 yesterday between 7:30 and 8 PM when I was going back and forth between Route 210 and Hearthome (right near the Berry Master's house) and was wondering when in general I think I should check back on them. Obviously I may want to water them a little, but what would be a good estimate? Thanks!

Chimchar55

Infernape is the best!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2015
    Hello. Right now on my HG I'm at the Pokemon league and im not sure what Pokemon to use and what levels to train them. Also I need some training tips. Please help me. I would really like to beat Lance. Right now my team is:

Typhosion-level 42
    Nidoqueen-level 40
    Donphan-level 37
    Togetic-level 40
    Red gem(aka Espeon)- level 42
    Ho-oh-level 47

Years
  • You kinda lack diversity and some good types such as Ice, Water and Electric (imo).
    I mean he has 3 Dragonites and the only advantage you could realistically pull off is its Rock weakness but Donphan and Nidoking who are closest to being able to pull of some Rock attacks are kinda...well, slow xD
    Grind your Pokemon is the only advice I can give you lol. Make sure Espeon and one of the birds are really strong. Good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back