• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen 7 Languages - 1 Cartridge

What language will you play X/Y in?

• English

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Spanish

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • French

• German

• Italian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Japanese

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Korean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    So one of the many things that were revealed is the fact that we can chose the language we want to play in.
    This may not be the biggest or most important change, but it's the first time ever players are given this option.
    What do you think about it? Unnecessary or long overdue?

As far as I'm concerned, i think it's a great new feature I'm going to enjoy a lot!
    Being a half-italian/half-spanish pokefan living in Germany, i never liked the fact i had to play in one certain language. It always limited my Game experience, since i sometimes got the games in Germany, sometimes in Italy. Also, since im moving to Spain this Summer, i'm truly happy i can chose english as my game language (:

7 Languages - 1 Cartridge

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I think it's great for those who know a variety of languages. Me, with English my only fluent language, it's not that big of a deal. I can see its functionality though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I only played gen 3 in french and I prefer the pokemon english names over french ones. To me french names looks pretty weak compared to english ones.

Warship

異議あり!
    Years
    i think its awesome since im currently learning japanese and this will definitely aid it.
    3ds cartridges definitely has the power to support them so i dont think they'll need to sacrifice gameplay for it. cant wait for it ^^

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    Overdue. I've had to wait a week since HGSS for shipping because my city doesn't sell French copies - I had to get them over in Quebec, which (again) requires shipping time.

This will let me play immediately in French and I can pick it up at any major retailer :3 Like Walmart. With 10% off. Yay!

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I'll only be playing in English, but I'd say this is something long overdue. It's so much simpler giving players the choice of language rather than creating language-specific versions. No doubt this was also done for the ease of a worldwide release.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm just disappointed that you can't change the language once it's set. For someone like me, who is learning another language, I'd like to play the main portion of my game in my native language but then switch to the language I'm learning for the post-game, where the plot may not be as heavy so if I can't translate something I won't be left too in the dark.

That being said, I'm still glad it's included. Choice is always the best way to go, especially with a game that transcends cultures and languages as much as Pokémon.

Autaven

Gamer Girl
    Years
    This might be completely irrelevant but will this make any difference to the masuda method? Presuming that this method is valid in the new games?
    Or will they still be region specific? :)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I like the idea of choosing which language we want, now I can pick either Spanish, or English...too bad we apparently can't change the language of it once we start.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    That's an amazing option; hopefully all of the following Pokemon games will follow this.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I am mentally crying and screaming because I have wanted to import a French game SO badly and now I can finally play a game in French and get better at learning the language and WE'LL BE IN FRANCE ANYWAY.

I can't handle myself rn.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    Long overdue, 7 languages in one cartridge...... I don't have to buy and import the Spanish language of the game from Mexico to play it in my native language. The game is expensive enough, importing is just as expensive - just hope it doesn't get stuck in customs.

Just wished we could change the language along the way.

Great, just got a crazy idea in my head: I'll have to buy 7 copies of both X & Y, each for the 7 languages.
    [edit] if we can change freely during game play - I won't change the language, I'll still buy the 7 copies, I want to play the game completely in that specific language - from beginning all the way to pass the post-game..... have a different team in all games.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
    There will probably be some sort of cheat that allows you to access the language selection screen in the middle of gameplay to change it. Anyway once I've completed X in English I'll probably end up picking up Y and playing in French cause why not?!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I'm just disappointed that you can't change the language once it's set. For someone like me, who is learning another language, I'd like to play the main portion of my game in my native language but then switch to the language I'm learning for the post-game, where the plot may not be as heavy so if I can't translate something I won't be left too in the dark.

o wait what. Noooo. No no...why give us a feature like this and ruin it with that? :( Ugh. I hope you mean that you can't change your language after you've chosen it for the file, not for the whole game for the rest of your life. If that's the case, I may have to hold off on playing one of the two so that I can get a gist of the game before running off in another language. :/

Then again, I can't read a lick of Japanese and I made it through three games fine with that...but we'll see. Still, that's a bummer.

According to somebody who was at the Conference you can change the languages freely during gameplay at any given point, although they may have misheard this. Anyway once I've completed X in English I'll probably end up picking up Y and playing in French cause why not?!

o. This better be the case, haha.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
    I live in France, but usually prefer my games to be in English... also, I like going through a game or movie or TV show in multiple languages just to compare the translations... yeah, I definitely appreciate this feature.

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
    I totally think it's unnecessary, but it might be useful to a lot of people. I've always tried to learn Spanish and Japanese, so I could use this new feature to my advantage. Actually, Pokémon games have taught me sooo much about the English language when I was a young'un so that I'm quite more advanced with spelling and grammar than most people my age. :-)

And as far as I know, Game Freak won't have to make several localisations of the same game, so I assume it saves time and money.

Years
    This might be completely irrelevant but will this make any difference to the masuda method? Presuming that this method is valid in the new games?
    Or will they still be region specific? :)

That's a good point. I guess we won't know that until we know if you can change languages in the middle of the game. I know I'd like the chance to switch in the middle as I feel like it, but if you could do that, and if you only needed a Pokemon from a different language, then it would make it really easy for anyone to do. Maybe not a bad thing though. You're not getting an international experience that way, but you are getting a crash course in another language.

Back