• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

*A Freshly Scented Garden* Grass-type Club

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
  • Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Thanks all around! Lilli was added because I saw it was a hot discussion topic here, as I am not a huge fan of Lilli here (Gloom/Cottonee take my Sun Stone pls). Whimsi was added as a result of that as well, because you can't really have one without the other. Then again, I put Ludicolo and not Shiftry, soooo...

Yea, in every mono except Diamond where Budew is available early (Y, StormSilver), I have skipped it completely and just caught Roselia a few routes later.

If I ever did muster the patience required to Shiny hunt, first one would probably be a Roselia.

Spoiler:

Thanks again, I'll probably throw it into my sig at some point

I certainly wish I could bring the Tangela up. I lack the required systems to do this, and it's on a rom anyway. I just won't reset said rom :P

If I were to pick a signature Grass type, it would, as much as I despise the thing, be Ferrothorn. Choice Banded Ferrothorn has become a staple on my OU teams (IT WORKS I PROMISE), so it ends up being something I am almost infamous for among the better PO players (the ones who know how to beat it, AKA send in Skarmory). You basically use a move and then say in chat either NOW WATCH ME WHIP or YOU WANNA BE A GYRO M8?, depending on what move you use. It's defense means it won't get blown up in one hit like many CB users, it's attack is acceptable at base 98, and every move it uses is either 120 (Power Whip) or 150 (Gyro Ball). Gyro will almost always hit for 150 BP, because anything that runs less than 240 speed either should be Whipped (Blissey), or is too defensive and Ferro should be outta there anyway (Anything else). Bulldoze is also fun for picking off Heatran.

M-Roserade is an absolute necessity in DPPt remakes, even if Carnivine may be a little more deserving for the same reasons that Mawile deserved one (no evolutions and was bad)

Ferro sounds cool as a support

Spoiler:

RIP SUNKERN AND SUNFLORA

On another note, Roserade might be a good addition for the same reason as both Lilligant and Venusaur. "With the movements of a dancer, it strikes with whips that are densely lined with poison thorns." - Y/AS Pokedex. Graceful AND has toxic whips.

Answer to Topic:

1. Well since my Roserade idea was stolen, I'll be forced to state the obvious: Breloom. "Breloom closes in on its foe with light and sprightly footwork, then throws punches with its stretchy arms. This Pokémon's fighting technique puts boxers to shame." - Omega Ruby Pokedex Entry. And it can use Spore as a defensive technique. Because Pokemon Logic.
    2. Ill throw out Shroomish as my Support idea. It would just sit in the middle and then if the opponent steps on it it's Effect Spore triggers.

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Lilligant is a lot of fun to use and has two great abilities in Chlorophyll and Own Tempo. She could do with more type coverage moves but Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance, Petal Dance has served me well. Her pre-evolution Petilil was also the first Shiny I found by DexNaving. :)

The move Nature Power can be fun in-game, a Lilligant defeating Deoxys with Draco Meteor? Of course. :)

Random Note - Can't we have all Stones just be buyable in future games? Even as Battle Points similar to Gen 5 would work. As it stands it is tricky to find some of the non-elemental Stones particularly Shiny Stones.

I have tried Shiny Hunting for Roselia myself but have had no luck in AS and the virtually undoable Pokeradar in X. The best way for Shiny Roselia seems to be either the Dice Roll of the Masuda Method or have great luck in a horde.

Recently I have found a Shiny Nuzleaf (Now Shiftry) in a Friend Safari whilst looking for nothing in particular and a Lotad by DexNaving whilst looking for something else altogether.

Ah yes Ferrothorn. I used it in my Unova Monotype initially to get past Elite Four Caitlyn (And I ended up using Lilligant for that anyway). It's good defensive typing was very useful for tanking a few hits in the PWT though. It's more a Pokémon I use because I had to rather than wanting to in truth.

Breloom is a great if indeed obvious pick for Pokken. It could be the Dudley to Chesnaught's Balrog/Boxer. :) Spore could work similar to a Dizzy Punch.

Shroomish as a support with a random effect would work great I think.

In the Gen 6 games you were able to buy items of clothing based on Pokemon. (A Pancham hat for Male characters and a Slurpuff dress for Female characters).

What Grass Pokémon would you like to see clothing based on?

Killua

In the Gen 6 games you were able to buy items of clothing based on Pokemon. (A Pancham hat for Male characters and a Slurpuff dress for Female characters).

What Grass Pokémon would you like to see clothing based on?New Topic

Hmmm probably trecko, a treecko clothing would be incredible, or even a trreecko hoodie imagine the possibilities...

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Spoiler:

I wish I had patience sometimes. I almost want to Powersave in a living dex so I can get the shiny charm, then go about Dexnav hunting

And you can't imagine the s*** I went through to get my AS Gallade before the 5th gym. Literally 3 hours of Super Training to get the damn Dawn Stone. I wish Shiny Stones would be available earlier as well, because Roselia almost always ends up as the last member of my party to fully evolve. XY did a good job avoiding it though.

Answer to topic:
    Roserade
    . IT WEARS A CAPE. PROBLEM?

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
    Hmmm probably trecko, a treecko clothing would be incredible, or even a trreecko hoodie imagine the possibilities...

I really like the idea of a Treecko hoodie or onesie. It could be a very cute accessory for both genders. A 'Shiny' version could be a special unlock.

I wish I had patience sometimes. I almost want to Powersave in a living dex so I can get the shiny charm, then go about Dexnav hunting

And you can't imagine the s*** I went through to get my AS Gallade before the 5th gym. Literally 3 hours of Super Training to get the damn Dawn Stone. I wish Shiny Stones would be available earlier as well, because Roselia almost always ends up as the last member of my party to fully evolve. XY did a good job avoiding it though.

Answer to topic:
    Roserade
    . IT WEARS A CAPE. PROBLEM?

As someone who has the Shiny Charm obtained from a full Pokedex (In X) I am not sure how much of an effect it has.

If I remember correctly you get 1 in-game Dawn Stone in AS (From Wally in Victory Road). Quite some time to carry a Male Kirlia around. I have never obtained a Dawn Stone from Super Training but have found a good way to stock up on Sun Stones is to by steal them off Solrocks in Glittering Cave.

A Roserade Cape makes a lot of sense and could be a unisex clothing item.

Answer to Topic

My answers are a two types of hat. One for each Gender - Males would get a beanie hat based on a Bulbasaur's back.

Female characters would get a hat modelled on a Lilligant's hat. A 'Shiny' version of the hat would be available if certain objectives are met.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017

A Bulbasaur bulb as a backpack, a Lilligant flower as a head dress (I know the club owner wants me to say this), similarly a Vileplume hat works too! I guess a Bellossom skirt wouldn't hurt? Perhaps a Whimiscott inspired wig and a Chespin beanie would be fun too?

Years
  • I'm definitely with Sun on a Chespin-inspired beanie. In fact, I actually saw a pic of one that a fan made themself. I would love a nice Whimsicott-themed wig and have nice woolly hair as well!

Killua

Something like a pokemaniac based serperior costume would be cool also.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

A Bulbasaur bulb designed backpack is an excellent idea.

A Lilligant headress would be fun as would a Lilligant inspired dress. As it would cover the legs it night be a bit tricky to animate.

Whilst I doubt the hairstyles will be too diverse a Lilligant Flower scrunchie could be very cute.

If I remember right there is already a skirt similar to Bellossom's in game. A Whimsicott wig and Chespin beanie would work too. :)

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

A Chespin Beanie or headband could work very well I think. A Whimsicott wig (Or at a push a Shiftry one) could work very well particularly if Game Freak relax the 'All Protagonists must wear hats' rule.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Not sure a Serperior costume could work due to the lack of arms but a Snivy costume would be cute think.

Years
  • I didn't even think about a Bulbasaur bulb inspired backpack. Now all the people who loved Bulbasaur back in the 1st Gen days can wear a piece of accessory based on their beloved little green starter.

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
  • I would love something like a masquerade mask or a cape that matches Roserade. Or a shirt with roses at the ends of the sleeves.

Maybe instead of a whole Serperior costume, just a shirt with the same design as the from portion of its body, with a collar that rises up and curls back like those two yellow extensions from Serperior's neck?

How about a hat with Skiddo or Gogoat horns attached? That would be very cute.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I never thought of a Roserade mask. It could look very cool if done right or could perhaps be used for a future Grass-type Trainer similar to Elite Four Will's Mask. A Roserade or Serperior shirt would work well too.

Game Freak like protagonists to wear hats. A Skiddo hat would indeed be very cute.

In a Christmas Giveaway of sorts everyone who answered the last topic gains a Pokémon for the Scenario Campaign. It is:
    Spoiler:

Congratulations Rain T on being the first member to have a full team for the Grass Type Scenario Campaign. You will still be able to gain more Pokemon.

Celadon_Gym_RBY.png

Celadon_Gym_FRLG.png

Following the announcement that the first Generation Games will be released in the New Year. The next topic concerns Celadon Gym.

1. Have you ever earned the Rainbow Badge in the Original Kanto Games or the remakes. What did you make of Celadon Gym's layout and design?

2. What do you think of it being an All Female Gym? Do you think this was done to fit the character of Erika and/or the character of the Grass Type which is seen as one of the more feminine types.

3. There is a man stood outside Celadon Gym staring through the window. He infamously states that he loves the Gym as it is 'full of women'. What do you make of his inclusion and the fact his dialogue was changed to 'full of strong trainers' in later games?

4. In the Kanto Games there are seven Gym Trainers with the most common trainer class being Beauty. Is this too many trainers? Do the trainer classes fit with the character of the Gym?

5. There is a glitch in the Red and Blue games where you can effectively solo the Gym (Except Erika's Tangela) with a low level Oddish, Bellsprout or Bulbasaur. Were you aware of this glitch and if so did you exploit it?

6. What do you make of Erika's teams in the Kanto Games? (Tangela, Vileplume, Victreebell in Red and Blue, Tangela, Weepinbell and Gloom in Yellow)

All answers gain a Tangela for the Scenario Campaign with Best Answer gaining a Tangrowth

Killua

Have you ever earned the Rainbow Badge in the Original Kanto Games or the remakes. What did you make of Celadon Gym's layout and design? Yes, I liked the cuttable três.

2. What do you think of it being an All Female Gym? Do you think this was done to fit the character of Erika and/or the character of the Grass Type which is seen as one of the more feminine types. Yeah I linda liked it, it is funny to see that some typings are used mostly by another sex

3. There is a man stood outside Celadon Gym staring through the window. He infamously states that he loves the Gym as it is 'full of women'. What do you make of his inclusion and the fact his dialogue was changed to 'full of strong trainers' in later games?
    Perv alert perv alert!!!!!!! I think that at least they would have to do this come on there are people criticizing pokémon because of the game corner this line of thing would make esrb destros pokémon.

4. In the Kanto Games there are seven Gym Trainers with the most common trainer class being Beauty. Is this too many trainers? Do the trainer classes fit with the character of the Gym?
    I think that aroma ladys fit more
    5. There is a glitch in the Red and Blue games where you can effectively solo the Gym (Except Erika's Tangela) with a low level Oddish, Bellsprout or Bulbasaur. Were you aware of this glitch and if so did you exploit it? No never heard of

6. What do you make of Erika's teams in the Kanto Games? (Tangela, Vileplume, Victreebell in Red and Blue, Tangela, Weepinbell and Gloom in Yellow)
    Hmmm overall red and blue are stronger but I had more problems in yellow cause my charmander was not very strong

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Oh my, long topic.

1. Have you ever earned the Rainbow Badge in the Original Kanto Games or the remakes. What did you make of Celadon Gym's layout and design?

Yes. The gym's design was... plain, but fine in most games. My issue with it is the same as one of the ones I have with Lt. Surge's Gym: It requires you to carry a Cut user. In a challenge, this often reduces your usable team to 5, which is annoying. Of course, I only had 3 Pokemon in my monograss at that point anyway, soooo...

2. What do you think of it being an All Female Gym? Do you think this was done to fit the character of Erika and/or the character of the Grass Type which is seen as one of the more feminine types.

UHHHHH, RAMOS WOULD BEG TO DIFFER... Oh wait, he's girly anyway. Uhhh anyway... The all-female gym fits Erika quite well. It's especially noticeable in Gen 1, where you are always a Male character. It, much like the Eterna gym in gen 4, adds a very beautyish aura to it, and makes it feel like a Grass gym, whereas Ramos' gym in Kalos I had to ask the gym guide to figure out what type it was on my first playthrough. Also, the gym is shaped like the female gender sign, so it matches the design of the gym as well.

Reinforces the above. Tells the player that this is going to be a gym that will look beautiful, at which point it's type becomes obvious as soon as you walk in the door, because there damn well isn't a all-female bug gym. As for it's removal in the Johto games, GF's translators realized they ****ed up.

Better than 3 trillion Rangers to represent this type (can you tell that I love the Coumarine Gym?). That aside, it agrees with the all-female aspect of the gym, but neatly contradicts Erika's attitude in the games as someone who introduces herself to challengers by talking about the weather (making it fun to spam Hail in in Gen 4).

5. There is a glitch in the Red and Blue games where you can effectively solo the Gym (Except Erika's Tangela) with a low level Oddish, Bellsprout or Bulbasaur. Were you aware of this glitch and if so did you exploit it?

Like half the GLs have this problem with some of their pokemon lel, and i'll exploit it if I'm using Bulbasaur anyway.

For those not familiar with it, the glitch involves an oversight in gen I AI programming. The Gen I AI is programmed to always use a supereffective move if one is available. The problem was that they forgot to exempt Status moves from this. As such, any Grass type will cause Erika's two half-poison pokemon to use only Poisonpowder, which any of your Grass/Poisons are immune to. Zubat can do it to Lance's Dragonite compliments of Agility. I think any pure Water, Rock, Ground, or combination of the above can do it to Sabrina's Venomoth, compliments of Stun Spore. You get my drift now.

Dear Yellow Erika: Please walk the 45 steps outside your gym to the Department Store and buy yourself a pair of Leaf Stones. It will be well-worth your trouble.
    The Grass type gives Erika 6 lines to work with: she uses Tangela and the Oddish and Bellsprout lines, but ignores the Bulbasaur, Paras, and Exeggcute lines. After doing a Firered monograss, I would have to recommend swapping out the 3 lines she uses for the ones she doesn't. Tangela gets no moves in that generation, Vileplume and Victreebel have exactly the same useless moves (see the above answer). Venusaur just generally outclasses the other two Poison types, Parasect has Spore and access to every TM in the damn game, and Exeggutor is adept at taking out the poison types that may cheese her current lineup.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I am going on Holiday later today and won't be back until January 4th. I will hand out the prizes for the current topic when I get back.

If anyone wishes to make a new topic whilst I am away they can.

Happy Holidays and I will be back in the New Year.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • There was some discussion about this earlier, but I'll re-address it here since I' don't think it has been an actual topic before (correct me if i'm wrong)

NEW TOPIC:
    Do you have a signature Grass type? What is it? Why?

Ofc, continue to answer the previous topic for prizes and such.

Killua

Ok you meana signature grass pokemon right (i dont have a question button its broken)

It is hmm i cannot decide between shaymin-sky or serperior

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
  • 1. Have you ever earned the Rainbow Badge in the Original Kanto Games or the remakes. What did you make of Celadon Gym's layout and design?
    Unfortunately, I never played the originals or the remakes, so I can't answer this one.
    I think an all-female Gym is a nice idea. It goes to show that us girls can be just a capable/dangerous/skilled as the guys. I don't know Erika's character, so can't answer that part, and I don't quite understand how Grass can be seen a more 'feminine' type. I mean, who could look at a Pokemon like Sceptile, Carnivine, Serperior, Gogoat, Victreebel, Shiftry, Breloom, etc. (there's a lot more for that list, but I think we get the idea) and think "Oh, Grass types are girly." Like all other Pokemon types, some Grass types have a more feminine look to them, but there are plenty of 'masculine' ones too.
    To be completely honest on this one, I think that's very creepy, and it's a very good thing the dialogue was changed.
    Okay, so I think I understand what this is asking, but if I don't and end up with an odd answer, I apologize. Anyway, I really enjoy variety, so I don't think there's too many Trainer classes. If you mean 'Are there too many of the Beauty class?' then yes, I believe there are. From what I've seen in other games, Trainer Classes fit very well with their Gym type/design/whatever.
    Again, never played those games.
    Well... I dunno. She's got a Grass type, then two Grass/Poison types. Not a lot of variety or ways to counter opponents like Fire types. I've never battled Erika, but it sounds as if I could walk in, challenge her with only a Fire type, and walk away victorious (or I could be overconfident, like so many other times I've thought I've had battles in the bag). Then again, this is only Gen. I, so not as many Pokemon around as there are now. Not to mention, I think she's an earlier Gym Leader? Also, all three of those Pokemon, like many other Grass types, have a wide variety of status moves to trip up challengers and make a battle tricky.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Master of Memes
    Roserade
    Erika- So elegant ♡
    I'll assume this is a signup for now, and welcome you to the club in Charmed's place for the time being. Might want to pick an unevolved Grass type as your starter though...

Hope you enjoy your stay in the garden! Go ahead and answer the current pair of topics if you want, they are in nice bold green under the words new topic. One is on the Celadon Gym (it's complicated, look at the post), and one is asking about your "signature" grass type.

Back