• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"A Grass Menagerie" Episode Discussion

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
Years
  • Okies everybody!!!! I guess I am doing the episode this week. I kinda hope Icha doesn't mind if I do it this week. *hugs Icha plushie!!!* Teeheehee Kinda strange but super coolies!!! YAY!!! Teeheehee

So lets discuss the new episodes that just primire today featuring my fave gym leader of Sinnoh who is making her second apperence!!! Lets discuss and enjoy Ash's battle against Gardenia!!!!

My review comes later. Teeheehee

ENJOY!!!!

Daisuke33

The Ultimate Unreal Hero
    Years
  • I was waiting for someone to put this up, thank you ^-^. This episode pwns the Gym battle with Roark in terms of battle speed and quickness. Ash actually told Pikachu to hang back and watch a battle lol. But no surprize seeing as Pikachu's electric attacks are usless against grass types. I love Gardenia for the simple fact is she's wacky! And she goes gaga over Grass types, and I believe she is coming back in a later D/P episode. She gets more freedom to move around outside Eterna City then most other of the Gym leaders do. Her Cherbri is so fast it was hard to make good eye contact. Do you see Ash's face when he throught Solarbeam would take time to charge, and it did'nt have too? Priceless Ash surprized face.

Staravia did abit better in this rematch and yet it still couldn't beat Gardenia's Turtwig! lol a major pride blow, poor Staravia. Aipom ruled in this battle, using Swift the way he did, as well as bounced Roserade's Weather Ball right back at! He owned that battle, which makes me sad in a way if Ash does in deal plan on trading his Aipom on a later episode. But when Aipom came into the battle it probarly throught it was a contest battle the way it was acting lol. We get a look see to the famous Eterna Underground, they cover the anime/game detail nicely in this episode. Poor Team Rocket, got used by the miner in the end lol.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I HATE THE UNDERGROUND MAN. Poor Team Rocket. They didn't even realise he taken their stuff! They really deserved their spheres as well...well I was surprised to see the Underground Man at all. He gives you stuff in the game but he STEALS from Team Rocket? Kind of a twist to make him the bad guy, eh? I hate him so much now.

- Wow, they actually included the underground!
    - Staravia, my favourite opera singing bird!
    - ...Lost again...
    - RBY Gym battle BGM! Haven't heard that in a while! You know, out of ALL the BGM Pokemon has, that one sounds the most outdated. It sounds kinda 80's
    - Yay! Route 207 is my favourite route music

Quotes
    - James: He's crusting to me, loud and clear!
    Huh? LOL
    - Ash: Staravia, keep using Wing Attack!
    Gardenia: And keep dodging everyone!
    LOL, she was supposed to say "every one" but it sounded like "everyone"

Roserade sounds so much like Ash. Not as bad as the last Roserade episode though.

I loved the battle and I liked the Aipom/contest thing.

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
    Years
  • I actually expected Ash to lose again. I mean it's like the first season all over again. Ash is on the brink of victory and all of a sudden BAM! A miracle. If Roserade had stood up for at least a few more seconds, Ash would have been toast. And so would Turtwig with that fire type Weather Ball Roserade was sporting. The only downside about Ash's victory though is that this is the last gym battle for a while. I mean, in the next movie, they were still on their way to Veilstone when that whole event started.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Its was ok,
    Cherubi was so cute!
    I know,the underground man is fat and mean! they did all the digging,but he kept the spheres! Their prize was only food! but he did say it was on him.
    anyways it was good to include the Sinnoh underground.
    oh and i think Aipom thought it was a contest battle the way it came out of the Pokeball.
    I forgot who won the battle,Ash probably did. or did he? just kidding i think he did.

Dyegov

Spider Pig!
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Apr 1, 2008
    I just watched this episode, and I really liked it. It was good seeing Team Rocket doing something different, bu it wasn't nice that they were stolen. What would have happened if they received all of those gems? That's something good to guess.

Anyway, I loved the battle; I was really excited about it all the the way. Nice strategies Ash used with all his 3 Pokemon, though Aipom rocked as never seen before. I really liked gardenia too, and Roserade is magnificent. I loved the fact she wasn't that *stupid* about grass Pokémon. I love her since she's kinda crazy, and I'm glad she's going to appear again, in the Jame's Cacnea episode. . .

STEELIXMANIAC

Hatena de Wasshoi!
    Years
  • I love the part where Team Rocket dug and dug while the old man just picked up the spheres and kept it all for himself.

And this Gym battle ranks up there with the best in my book. Never seen one as intense as this, bar possibly the Oreburgh Gym battle.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    At one point Ash calls Aipom Roserade "Roserade, use the tree to dodge!" haha

Edit: This is the first time *ever* that the dub and Japanese have had the same amount of badges

Last edited:
    Years
  • Actually, the episode is called A Grass Menagerie.

But I'll talk more later.

Re-edited for your pleasure. Whoo. The Green Menagerie reminds me of that two part Star Trek episode with the Orion Slave Girl. Shifty eyes.

Original title was "The Menagerie." And that's enough from me for now.

Yes, I'm weird.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • Teeheehee sorry about not getting the title right. Serebii didn't have the title and I remember it was something like grass or green menagerie. Teeheehee I was close. Still I like this title a lot because it is just like one of my fave books back in high school. The Glass Menagerie. Teeheehee

Thankies Charaxes for the change in the title. Teeheehee *hugs*

Suber episodes! Three thumbs up!!! Where to start. Lets start with Team Rocket. First of all I just love how they were discussing what to do as in doing the same plan. Just love it how James notice that the dig hole under the gym plan was overplayed. That was just funny. Still I found it unexpected that they actually found the tunnels. That was coolies. Who knew that they would. What is even worst or good depending on how you see it is that how the old dig man tricked them. Teeheehee Poor Team Rocket. Teeheehee Still you know that how Team Rocket loves to dig holes I am hoping they will be able to visit the old dig man again. That would be super coolies. I hope we see him again. It would be perfect. He could be the next Magikarp Man. Teeheehee

I so agree that this battle is much better then the last gym battle. Much much better then the last one with the rock gym leader. All parts of the battle was great. I like Aipom's battle the most and I start with that one because it isn't kinda bad on her and it is the best. Teeheehee

Aipom really looked like she was enjoying the battle and looked like it was a contest battle. That was great how it battled it and it really brought color to the battle seeing how Swift was preformed along with Aipom's movements. If Ash and Dawn do have that trade then I kinda be disappointed because Aipom was really a treat to see and I just love to see more of gym battles featuring movements like Aipom displayed in this battle.

Also they keep the idea of using the sun though out the whole battle. Big plus there. Teeheehee

GARDENIA!!! Teeheehee Yay!!!!

light_trainer921

Flamethrower Helper
    Years
  • I laughed a bit when the underground man uses Team Rocket to dig for Spheres and he awards them with a meal for all three of them and Team Rocket are dumb enough to remember the Spheres they dig(even a little bit of Spheres as additional prize from the UM). Aipom was blinded by Roserade's Flash. Good thing Ash commanded her to use her ears.

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
  • At one point Ash calls Aipom Roserade "Roserade, use the tree to dodge!" haha

Edit: This is the first time *ever* that the dub and Japanese have had the same amount of badges

Jorah, like you said earlier Roserade sounds a lot like Ash which explains that line!
    If you listen carefully, it goes like this:
    Gardenia: "Hey, not bad. Roserade, Magical Leaf!"
    *We hear Roserade's cry.
    Ash: "Use the trees to dodge!"

I dunno if anyone else noticed, the voice actor for Gardenia is late with her line.
    You can see Gardenia moving her lips but we hear her talk after a second of so.

About the trade of Buizel and Aipom, I'm in favor of it. I beleive it's been confirmed now.
    It makes sense to me. Buizel likes to fight and Aipom likes contests. So why not?
    If you think Aipom is strong, can you imagine how strong Buizel can get if he's trained by Ash?

*Is it just me or does that gym look like a pokémon center?

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    6 badged in Kanto??? Well I suppose there were a lot of filler episodes in between the 7th and 8th badged, but wow. Dogasu's wrong about the 4Kids/PUSA BGM thing though, they alternate between each every episode. Odd D/P episodes have PUSA BGM and even numbered have 4Kids.

punisher

War Zone
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2007
    noce episod , ash is smart and wise . you can see that ash is stron know not like the other sessons,also his picachu that he didnt use in the battle vs the gym leader(i know he is electic) .and his Apepam was also fantastic (speed+mantely prepared)

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    *arises from the dead*

Teeheehee sorry about not getting the title right. Serebii didn't have the title and I remember it was something like grass or green menagerie. Teeheehee I was close. Still I like this title a lot because it is just like one of my fave books back in high school. The Glass Menagerie. Teeheehee

"The Glass Menagerie" is actually a play, Reyna. It's also, ironically enough, part of the reason why I've been gone for the past 3 weeks...but I'm back now!!!

Anyway, the episode......I didn't actually like that much. I mean, we had the hype from "The Grass Type is Always Greener!" that there would be a Turtwig vs Turtwig battle, but unlike with Roark, it wasn't the battle to decide the match. With all of the foreshadowing and comparisons to the last badge, Roserade's part seemed more like a footnote o_O. On the other hand, Cherubi actually did something this time around, which is nice.

Oh, and let's not forget Team Rocket's little sidequest here XD. I found it quite...cute that the Underground Man used them like he did. He just walked out with their Spheres and they sat there enjoying their ramen.......but it seemed that he indeed did pay for it, so there's a good part. Heh, TR's always been known to do the strangest things for free food. XDXDXD

Years
  • *arises from the dead*

"The Glass Menagerie" is actually a play, Reyna. It's also, ironically enough, part of the reason why I've been gone for the past 3 weeks...but I'm back now!!!

Wondered about ya, man. Heh. Waves.

Personally, I liked "Streetcar Named Desire" myself. It also depends on which media version you watch, and same goes with Menagerie. Heh. Okay! That's enough Williams coverage from me.

I'm sure we'll see the Underground Man again, as the underground is teh Rockets' shtick and all. Crosses fingers, anyway.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Wondered about ya, man. Heh. Waves.

Personally, I liked "Streetcar Named Desire" myself. It also depends on which media version you watch, and same goes with Menagerie. Heh. Okay! That's enough Williams coverage from me.

I'm sure we'll see the Underground Man again, as the underground is teh Rockets' shtick and all. Crosses fingers, anyway.

*waves back*

Eh, I don't know about that. After all, he never went very far from Eterna City in the games...but, then again, neither did Gardenia, yet......Perhaps we'll see our two "con artists" join forces at some point.

"New Item For Sale: 'Sphere-studded Magikarp Statues'!!"

XD

Back