• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A letter to your past

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Dear: 10 year old me,
    On November 5th 2011, you will make a thread on a forum in which you will be asking the members to write a letter to their younger self. You will really want them to write a letter of any length, to any age that they once were, telling them all the things that they wished they knew when they were that age. The thought came into your mind as you wished you had one of those letters right now, you wished that you, were the past, and that your future self had some kind advice to give you. Maybe to say it will all work out, or what to avoid, where the banana skins are in the college hallways so I don't slip on them. Just some advice to show you that things will all work out. Perhaps some surprises, new loves, the same love, new friends, hobbies, and maybe how your siblings have been. But this letter will be different for everyone, it won't have to be too personal, or even too long. Just a few short lines is all they have to write if they like, to tell their past self all they wish they knew at the age of their choice. This is their opportunity to show what they would write in a letter to their past.
    Regards,
    Gavin
    PS.
    Mind your pants on the fence today... you don't even want to know why.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Dear: 13 year old me,
    I promise you that it will be alright, believe what mother is telling you, believe in what friends are telling you. They are not all lying. Forget about this person.
    Regards,
    Paz

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Dear Age 12,

The world is hardly as innocent as it is made to be. A shame you had to learn the hard way. But that's alright, you aren't "normal" and that's okay. Being "normal" is boring. People will accept you, no matter who you are. People are going to make fun of you for doing what you do, so you might as well as have a smile on your face while doing it. Take another hit kid, and let the haters hate.

Sap Sipper

Terrified of Bad Luck.
    Years
  • Dear 15-year old me,

You're thinking about giving up - why? She left you, big deal, get over it, and get over yourself. You'll have met someone recently - someone you see as a friend, and someone that trusts you with everything about her. Don't mess up with her like I have - don't let her go. She's scared - help her more than I did, and things will be better for both of you.

Good luck,
    16-year old you.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    Dear 14-year old me,

Listen to what's your heart is telling you, don't let other people knock your dreams out, stick to it, and believe.

Years
  • Dear: 15 year old me,
    You should have driven yourself harder in the academic department. Think carefully before you make your decisions because you end up making the wrong choices like a n00by Yugioh player.
    Regards,
    - Drakow

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    Dear: 11-year old me
    You will go to the school you think it's impossible to qualify to without any problems. Don't worry about the current situation of your family, nothing bad will occur. Ignore your stupid pseudo-friends, they're bad people.

Last edited:

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
  • Dear 13 year old me
    Value your friendships more. Most of the people you talk to now? You won't be talking to 50% of them by the time you're my age. You will however have new friends, both online and off and a quick suggestion - You're annoying. You're only going to get worse, just enjoy the ride and don't try and change yourself, other people just don't understand you're eccentricity. OH AND tell dad. Tell him now. Stop hiding because it's not going away ever. Tell mum too, and Katie, perhaps by now you could feel a little happier with yourself.

Oh and most importantly, the next two years are going to be a rollercoaster, good luck and smile, the world will smile with you.​

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Dear 11-year old me

Take the step you want to. Don't regret anything. Don't lie to yourself. Make your move.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Dear 7-year-old me,

You need to relax and stop panicking all the time. Every time you get a headache, it doesn't mean you have a brain tumour. Just because you have a sore neck, it does not mean you're about to die from meningococcal disease. You are a healthy kid. The only thing that's going to give you some horrible disease is your obsessive fear that you're going to get some horrible disease. Chill.

Also, next year, you're going to start gaining weight. The second you see the first sign of this, put a stop to it. It'll save you a lot of money and effort losing it when you're 16 (because yeah, it takes you that long to break the bad habits once you fall into them).​

Regards,
    Andy

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
  • Dear 13-year-old me,

Don't fall in love with your new best friend upon entering 8th grade. You'll end up hurting yourself and him in the end.

---

Dear 14-year-old me,

First off, happy birthday!

Secondly, tell your best friend that his mom will die in a scuba diving accident on the 30th of December. Even if he doesn't believe you, please warn him as best as you can. If you don't get through to him, she'll die and he'll have to move to another school once you graduate from the 8th grade.

...Ah, this does sound a bit selfish, doesn't it? Well, think of it this way then: His father is a smoker and a big drinker, so do you think he'd be happy living with a person like that?

Last edited:

GGJ

Roaming & Learning
    Years
  • Dear 9 year old myself:

Don't be afraid to be yourself. I know you think the world is a rough place but to be quite frank as the years go bye, and they will seem as if only a few minutes has passed, you will be confronted by more problems. Don't get stressed by things you can't change and never be afraid to make friends, even girlfriends :P But most importantly, I think you will be fine if you just follow the next couple of words: Always remember who you are, not what the world wants you to be.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Dear 15 year old me:

Don't spend all your studying time on the Internet. That's why you had low grades for your sophomore year.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Dear 15-year-old me:
    You are such a dumbass. Your tendency to think twice and losing craploads of time on conversations cost you one "opportunity" and will cost you another one if you keep being so shy. You are too afraid on social stuff. Let yourself go, be a total Rambo if needed. And start playing guitar. Learn the basic chords. Trust me. It helps. No idea why but it does. And start going out more often instead of being in front of a computer all the time.
    Another thing: Stick to Physics. Biology sucks. Stop thinking about following something related to that.

Yours sincerely,
    Almost-18-year-old-you​

Years
  • Dear 16/17-year-old-me:

LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS. Look into scholarships and money for school. Don't give me that sass and roll your eyes at me, it's important!

...either that, or don't let your guidance councilor walk all over you and make you apply for schools.

Preferably, just get your money situation sorted. Get scholarships, get loans, get a job. Then you can have all the schooling!

PS: Take PC and staffing just a biiiit less seriously. It's more fun when you don't. :p

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Dear: 12 year old me,

Don't be afraid to photo rape and take pictures of others when they ain't looking like a stalker. You may be new in this school, but you'll be thankful when you become a senior and become the official school photographer.
    16 Year old Zappy

Dear: 13 year old me,

Your life will really take a turn for the best. On July 28th, you'll find out that your favourite game 'Arcanist' will be blocked at school and you'll look for alternatives to fill your boredom. You'll somewhat fall upon forums which will be the beginning of a new you on the net. I won't say anymore, it's something you have to experience for yourself to see.
    16 Year old Zappy

Dear: 14 year old me,

Skype calling people who you meet on the internet isn't as scary as it seems. Sure you may be nervous but literally becomes part of your life on your transition from being 16 to 17. Just make sure you get to know them well and make sure they ain't creepers :D
    I know by now you will have discovered the world of digital and graphics art as well as Photoshop. Go with the instinct - It'll benefit you later in life. Also do me a favour and go stick to one or two forums at a time. 10 was never a good option.
    16 Year old Zappy

Dear: 15 year old me,

One day you will be playing iSketch and you'll realise your favourite TV show is on. DO NOT carry your laptop outside with you but if you do, DO NOT leave your earphones on the keyboard of your laptop. You'll forget they are on their and proceed with breaking your screen - And you''ll have a nice lecture from mum when you do.
    Also it isn't far from the time you will be experiencing real forum drama. You won't be directly involved in it but always stay strong and keep your friends close.
    16 Year old Zappy

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Dear 12-to-15 year old me;
    Drop the act, you dont look cool you just look stupid, thats why nobody likes you and its going to alienate you from your friends if you are not careful. Stop trying to impress people and just be yourself! Also why the hell are you pushing so many people away who are just trying to be nice to you? They have gone out of their way to shower you in kindness and you repay them by being cold to them? I dont even know what to say.

Dear 16 year old me;
    Enjoy your freedom while it lasts and savour every moment.

Dear 17 year old me;

Stick by your friends, no matter how tough things get or you will feel guilty about it later.

Dear 18 year old me;
    Stop being so shy.
    -or alternatively
    Even if it doesnt feel like it, you will be wishing for solitude once you no longer have it.
    I think its a combination of both somehow.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Dear 22 year old me,

GET A JOB NOW! The job market is much better than it will be in a few years, and if you don't find something NOW, you will end up living back at the frigid, boring tundra called HOME and your life will be a living hell! And you'll find your parents have relocated into a much nastier, sketchier house and your brother has grown the ugliest mustache ever!

So please, for both of our sakes, FIND A JOB.

Oh yeah, soon you will become obsessed with Japanese anime. Why don't you start on that now and get a few months' head start?

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Dear 15 year-old Marz:

Treat the people you meet online with love and respect because they're going to become your most prized friendships in a few years. You're not a loser for having joined an online Pokemon forum, but you don't have to make it common knowledge to your high school classmates if you don't want to. Just stick with the group of friends you've got now because they're the best, most non-judgemental people in your class. Don't try to impress people whom you think are cooler than you because they're not. You've never been into school and studying very hard, but keep trying your best. You'll make it out on top, attending one of Canada's best Colleges. Most of your friends are going to University but don't let that bother you, you would die in Uni anyway. Listen to your parents because they know you better than you know yourself and will help you find your way to where I am now.

Most importantly, accept who you are and don't be afraid to show it. But that might even be something to write to future Marz.

Love and embarrassment,
    19 year-old Marz

PS. Get the hell over yourself.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Dear 14 year old me,

Hey, that job you have now? You'll be there for at least 5 years so get comfy.

Don't trust any of the guys that come on to you at the hookah lounge called "Amsterdam"... and any irl guys for that matter. You'll lose more than you want to by believing what they say. They all have penis brains and don't actually care about you.

Your dad is never going to stop being verbally abusive, so just stop trying.

The internet isn't the only place where you should be yourself, even though it's the easiest place to do so. Your relationships online will help you mature and learn for the future, so don't let yourself be too nervous to talk to people. But that goes the same way for irl people too, if they judge you for what you're interested in, then they're not worth even 30 seconds of your day. Seriously. Never again. Speak your mind, you quiet fool.

Love, Risa of the future.
    You can do it babyyy<3

Back