• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A loved one or two total strangers?

Angela

Aristocracy
Years
  • Okay, your on a train station and one of the trains has gone crazy and wants to taste some blood (it's out of control), and your standing by the thing that has to be pulled to change tracks,

The train is currently driving like crazy at two total strangers, that are stuck and you can save them by pulling the thingy, but if you do then it will hit one of your loved ones, whom is stuck on the other other tracks,

What would you do,

would you save your loved one or would you save the total strangers?

After you answer this, then I'm gonna have to ask you to define love, what is it to you, what does it mean for you, do you love somebody, have you loved somebody, do you feel there are many types of love?

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • Oh no. This brings me back to my high school Philosophy class.

You save the loved one, of course. I think it's a good question and it can say alot about what we deem as the value in human life but my mom/fiance/brother/dad/friend will always mean more to me than some random pair of strangers.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Obviously the loved one, the strangers could be serial killers for all you know but then again they could be the nicest people in the world.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • I would definitely save my loved one. I mean why would I save two strangers? if they are strangers, they don't know me and I don't know them. D: Besides, my loved ones are really important to me, I wouldnt let them die.

Everyone already knows about my love. So we'll skip the details and go right to what I love means to me.

Anyway, to me, from what I've experienced, love isn't just feeling all good and happy because you have boyfriend/girlfriend. It doesn't mean that you'll now be the happiest person of all either, although you are able to feel that way. To me, love is having a strong bond with the person you are with. They are there because they will try to make you feel better when you need a hug, 'I love you', or even a kiss.

I have a very VERY strong bond with my boyfriend.

Last edited:

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Call me a wacko but i would save the stragners. But only if one of them i s a cute girl and seems nice. The love one though has to be someone i really actually hate. And you never know for saving her she might be the love of your life. But you could do this untie the loved one and save the strangers. Its possible but you need super skills.

Reactions:
    Years
  • Ah, I'm in the same boat as jasonresno in that I was posed a similar question in Philosophy at the beginning of last term. Our's was slightly different in that your choices were to save your child or save a trainload of people (not just one or two people). I think we all agreed that we would save the child, but that the whole situation was a farce because of the improbability of such a situation occurring.

So yeah, I'd save the loved ones. I'd never be able to look my family members in the face again if I didn't. =/

Years
  • Common sense would tell you to save the two strangers, but I'm sure nobody* would do such a thing. I know I wouldn't.

But, as jasonresno said, it really says a lot about how much we value human life. Let's think about this from a different perpective: What if you were the 'loved one'? Would you risk your own life to save the two strangers? Would you tell whoever it was at the 'switch' to pull it? I know I would, but that's just what my religion teaches me to do.

Or what if you were one of the strangers? Would you forgive the person at the switch for not pulling it?

Anyway, yeah; tough question. I honestly think that pulling the switch would be the right thing to do, but I totally understand why you wouldn't want to.

Call me a wacko but i would save the stragners. But only if one of them i s a cute girl and seems nice. The love one though has to be someone i really actually hate. And you never know for saving her she might be the love of your life. But you could do this untie the loved one and save the strangers. Its possible but you need super skills.

... or not.

Callandor

ughhh....
    Years
  • OK, this is easy. I would save my loved one. Now what was that second part? something about love? Ah yesh, define it. I think love is just an instinct that helps keep your blood line going. I thought I was in love once. Then the girl went crazy not three days later, and I was depresed for about three weeks (give or take a few). I finaly realized I am most likely better off with out that kind of attatchment to someone other then my blood relatives.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • If it were a family member on the other track, I would let the train go. If it were a best friend, I would let the train go. A loved one dying would have more impact on your life if you lost them because you have more experiences with them. But if two strangers died, I don't think you would care. You could yell at them to move off the track.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    How is this even worth giving any thought? I'd save my loved one in an instant. I don't know these strangers, and while their deaths might impact me, it won't impact me nearly as much as losing a family member.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    A loved one, though imagine being one of those strangers? If I knew the loved one really well, and I could tell what they would do if they were on the tracks and at the switch -thingy I would do what they would do.

For example: If my dad was on the tracks, I know what he would want me to do and that is to save the strangers.

So, really, for me it depends on the loved one on the track.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I would always save the loved one, no matter how many thimes this occured.

Define love? Ok. Love to me is someone who you want to be with for the rest of your life and that you feel emotionally conected to. It is someone who loves you as much as you do them and will help you and comfort you in times of sadness and discomfort. Someone who means a lot to you and you would give up your life in an instant to save. I know if put in that situation I would save the person I love. Even though we aren't Boyfriend/girlfriend.

A relative is a family member who you care for very much and are conected to by blood. Someone who looks out for you and loves you, and you do back. Even if you have fallen out with someone in your family you still love them and it tears you to lose them. Like a piece of your heart and person being ripped out. It can even be a pet. Like a cat or dog. I lost my pet cat. She was 17 and died because she had heart problems. I felt so guilty after that, I was broken. Tearing inside still even after a year. It *sniffles* still claws me to speak of it.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
  • Saving the loved one ftw.

Strangers are strangers.. I don't know them and they don't know me. Love is a big thing for me and I would never throw it away like that. If I can help them, I will. No matter what.

Define love?
    Love is a special feeling we get when we meet someone, get to know them and enjoy spending time with them. If you love someone, you will more or less want to spend the rest of your life with them. Love isn't just any old thing that goes by. People say they love someone, but they really don't that much. It's more of a... best friend sort of love. If you want to love someone then you have to be dedicated, sure that they're the person you want to spend your life with and that sort of stuff.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Im going to save one of my loved ones. Sorry its just how my mind works. I wouldnt feel as torn because i would be even harder to live with the fact that I could have save my friend/family members/lovers life. To me it is an equal weigh.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2020
    Definately save the loved ones, even if it was 100 strangers, i couldn't live with myself knowing that a loved one of mine had lost their life because of me.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    This is hard. It's two lives for the cost of one if you save the loved one, but you get another life back from the loved one. So if you saved the strangers, you'd really only gain one life anyway.
    /thereotical fail

But personally, I would save the loved one. It's just human instinct, I guess.

Years
  • I'd be much better off letting the strangers die. Switching it so my loved one dies would basically be murder. Granted, if it was the other way around, I might save my loved one anyway. Odds are I won't have time to rationalize in such a situation, anyway.

ErickaVolt

Born to kill.
    Years
  • Of course I would save my loved one. They are just strangers I don't know them and they don't know me either. duh. You need to be smart on making decision. But seriously, I'd rather die saving my loved one and the two strangers.

Back