• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A temporary solution

Years
  • I'm sure everyone has seen this by now. There is no ETA on when it will be implemented fully so please do not ask staff about it.

In the mean time I fiddled a bit with [css-div] in order to come up with a temporary solution until it has been made fully functional.
    It's far from perfect at the moment but it does the job it was intended for.

If anyone is interested let me know.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    I actually like this format, looks more "professional" like IGN and GameSpot and ect.

FinalEclipse

Learning to be a Tile Artist
    Years
  • Seems cool, it is a good idea, makes it easier so we don't have to scroll the page looking for the download link. Maybe have a rule though, you have to have a download link to use one of these.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Glad to see that it's not going to be exclusive for the ROM Hacking section, which I was afraid it would be.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Seems cool, it is a good idea, makes it easier so we don't have to scroll the page looking for the download link. Maybe have a rule though, you have to have a download link to use one of these.

Why? The main information is clear and simple to find. Every thread should have an option to use this format, not just ones with downloads.

I personally think it is a great step, and has so much more potential than what is currently going on.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Why? The main information is clear and simple to find. Every thread should have an option to use this format, not just ones with downloads.

I personally think it is a great step, and has so much more potential than what is currently going on.
    I disagree, I feel that this should be a privilege to the most dedicated, that means at least a demo, I think its just ridiculous to do it for a game thats not even half way done. This site should have an archive with a search system, so only the games with downloads can earn a spot.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Great, the 10 games with demos and the one completed game can use this format!

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Great, the 10 games with demos and the one completed game can use this format!

My point exactly.

The matter of the fact is that just because a game does not have a demo does not mean that the creators are not dedicated.

You know what I do in my spare time? I put my hobbies aside more often than not to work on Dissension. It doesn't have a demo yet. Sure it could have one, I could make a release that will take you a little past the first gym. The problem with that is that I do not want to release a demo until it is polished enough for me to feel like it is actually worth playing. Which means revamping if it needs to, implementing new ideas to make it more interesting, and more importantly, making sure there are no major issues with it's flow and presentation.

I call that, dedication.

So if that is not dedication, and having a release is, then I might as well just be wasting my time here on PC right?

Also, neither of you seem to have a project going publicly. You are by all means a lurking leach as far as I am concerned, so please don't try and pull the dedicated card on me.

Sorry if that sounds rude, but coming from a developer I am pretty sadden by your idea of dedication.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    My point exactly.

The matter of the fact is that just because a game does not have a demo does not mean that the creators are not dedicated.

You know what I do in my spare time? I put my hobbies aside more often than not to work on Dissension. It doesn't have a demo yet. Sure it could have one, I could make a release that will take you a little past the first gym. The problem with that is that I do not want to release a demo until it is polished enough for me to feel like it is actually worth playing. Which means revamping if it needs to, implementing new ideas to make it more interesting, and more importantly, making sure there are no major issues with it's flow and presentation.

I call that, dedication.

So if that is not dedication, and having a release is, then I might as well just be wasting my time here on PC right?

Also, neither of you seem to have a project going publicly. You are by all means a lurking leach as far as I am concerned, so please don't try and pull the dedicated card on me.

Sorry if that sounds rude, but coming from a developer I am pretty sadden by your idea of dedication.
    My definition of dedication is different from you, Hype is not dedication. I can bring out cool screen shots and stuff, does not mean I am getting much done at all. For example, Starcraft 2 is great but it took forever to get released (still only in beta) it kept on getting pushed back further and further, not saying its a bad game, but honestly I think the graphics are kind of behind, as if the graphics were from 2-3 years ago. Looks like Warcraft 3 graphics to be honest, but its still epic, but I think they could have been more dedicated with it and got it done years ago... To me dedication is pulling off what you say with deadlines... Whats the point of giving all the hype for a game thats going to finish in like 4 years? I beleive that the people should make the game threads when the game is at least 75% done... Developers do not advertise about games that early in the process... Usually when they are almost done.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • My definition of dedication is different from you, Hype is not dedication. I can bring out cool screen shots and stuff, does not mean I am getting much done at all. For example, Starcraft 2 is great but it took forever to get released (still only in beta) it kept on getting pushed back further and further, not saying its a bad game, but honestly I think the graphics are kind of behind, as if the graphics were from 2-3 years ago. Looks like Warcraft 3 graphics to be honest, but its still epic, but I think they could have been more dedicated with it and got it done years ago... To me dedication is pulling off what you say with deadlines... Whats the point of giving all the hype for a game thats going to finish in like 4 years? I beleive that the people should make the game threads when the game is at least 75% done... Developers do not advertise about games that early in the process... Usually when they are almost done.

Idk if you noticed, but my thread has essentially been locked for some time. I only recently requested it unlocked because I am preparing for a demo. Since it has been unlocked I have yet to touch it, the thread is essentially all but forgotten.

You relating your idea of dedication to Starcraft 2 is silly. That game is being produced by Blizzard, who is known to push releases dates back because they hate to publish a game that is not polished to the best of their capabilities at the time. You are complaining about graphics, graphics don't make the game what it is in the developing world.

I could whip a game up today and get a demo released in 10 hours.

Does that mean I was dedicated to the project? No it means I hastily put something together as fast as I could. Dedication is making sure your presentation is going to be the best you can do at the given time.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Idk if you noticed, but my thread has essentially been locked for some time. I only recently requested it unlocked because I am preparing for a demo. Since it has been unlocked I have yet to touch it, the thread is essentially all but forgotten.

You relating your idea of dedication to Starcraft 2 is silly. That game is being produced by Blizzard, who is known to push releases dates back because they hate to publish a game that is not polished to the best of their capabilities at the time. You are complaining about graphics, graphics don't make the game what it is in the developing world.

I could whip a game up today and get a demo released in 10 hours.

Does that mean I was dedicated to the project? No it means I hastily put something together as fast as I could. Dedication is making sure your presentation is going to be the best you can do at the given time.
    I am sorry, I beleive that the graphics are essential part of games, the screen shot is the first thing that the consumer see, if that does not impress the consumer, why would he even bother lookingthe game up on youtube or something? Honestly the graphics can make or break the game. It can have the best story, gameplay and characters, if the graphics are sub par, it will not take off in this now evolving industry. You are using an extreme, yea sure you can make anything in 10 hours and be good, you may think that 10 hours is not enough to code, bu I will say this. The coding and implementing takes the least amount of time. Drawing, making up the story, music and all the other superficial things take the most, thats what the consumers see, not whole buch of lines of code. Yea coding does take long, but its not much comparing it to all the other departments.

You make games for the consumers in mind, not the developer in mind... Its the entertainment industry, entertaining the consumers. I beleive you have your priorities wrong, you are doing it for your own personal gains, yes that is an inevitable side effect, but the main drive should be to entertain your fans.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • You make games for the consumers in mind, not the developer in mind... Its the entertainment industry, entertaining the consumers. I beleive you have your priorities wrong, you are doing it for your own personal gains, yes that is an inevitable side effect, but the main drive should be to entertain your fans.

You are kidding right? I refuse to have a buggy demo. Demos are a presentation which makes or breaks a game as well, and a buggy poorly assembled demo will break your game without a doubt.

If having a clean presentation means I am doing it for my own gain, then I am fine with being that guy that still releases a nice clean release for anyone who wants to play it. Who wants to play a game where maps are half baked, and the game crashes every time you enter a certain house, or step on a certain tile?

We are taking this off topic now, but my point is that All threads should be entitled to use this format.

It stops a lot of stupid questions from being posted. Like "Where is the download link". It keeps information clean and organized. Limiting it's use to those who have a demo is ridiculous and solves nothing in the way of needless posting.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    You are kidding right? I refuse to have a buggy demo. Demos are a presentation which makes or breaks a game as well, and a buggy poorly assembled demo will break your game without a doubt.

If having a clean presentation means I am doing it for my own gain, then I am fine with being that guy that still releases a nice clean release for anyone who wants to play it. Who wants to play a game where maps are half baked, and the game crashes every time you enter a certain house, or step on a certain tile?

We are taking this off topic now, but my point is that All threads should be entitled to use this format.

It stops a lot of stupid questions from being posted. Like "Where is the download link". It keeps information clean and organized. Limiting it's use to those who have a demo is ridiculous and solves nothing in the way of needless posting.
    Now you are taking this out of proportion, it is assumed that if you even want to release something, the bugs are fixed, sine you have the consumers in mind... What ever, I still think its for games with at least a demo. Also your argument about people asking for demo is not going to stop. People will keep asking since they actually see the words "Download" but they see no link, they are going to complain even more

Back to the topic: I think the panel should be on left side of the screen.

The Dewitty

Pixel artist, professional leo
    Years
  • I disagree, I feel that this should be a privilege to the most dedicated, that means at least a demo, I think its just ridiculous to do it for a game thats not even half way done. This site should have an archive with a search system, so only the games with downloads can earn a spot.

You are right, I am not dedicated to my game, that is why I put all of this work into it.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    You are right, I am not dedicated to my game, that is why I put all of this work into it.
    A temporary solution

A temporary solution

But do you realize I said MOST dedicated, but again... I can say the Ghost project was a dedicated but they have held that back for SC2 and D3... May be dedicated was not the best word choice but you know what I mean, the games that are pretty much done, why even bother posting when its not almost done? It should only be posted in the beta release...

Wait let me ask you, did you really work on most of the game or building off of the Pokemon starter kit? I can argue the most dedicated will start from scratch and not use an engine thats like 60% done.

BTW the format should not have the traditional commenting system, but more like the Youtube system.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • David
    Welcome to my signature :).

Regarding the layout
    I personally don't think it should be on any side, it should be above the original thread post, where it will remain on every page.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
    Years
  • I have to agree with ‎ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ on his points. Judging games based on whether they have a demo or not is just ridiculus. I personally think that demos are pointless, and bad. A demo just gives you playable material, enough to spoil the game experience, and not enough to make you enjoy it. Demos are usually up to the second gym or so, and what's the point of that? You just play a pointless amount of game time, which prevents you from forming any real opinion about the game, because there is not enough playable material to bond with what the game is about. A video, or screenshot can give you enough information in order to get familiar with the game interface, and outlines of the game play, but an unfinished, pointless piece of play, just ruins it. So just allowing this layout to the demo games is pointless too, because only a few people will be able to use it.

EDIT: Also one more thing. As it was said before...most game developers don't get around into releasing demos because they want their games to be perfect. And if you want your game to be perfect, that's what I call dedication. People almost reach the point of releasing a demo, and then they are not satisfied with a piece of interface, or got a new idea, so they delay the demo to work on their game and make it better. This is a better thing than releasing a crappy demo. Making your game better, rather than releasing a rushed demo, makes the "customer" and yourself feel better about the game. After all, who in the world would want to play a crappy, buggy game? If you are so focused on the "customer", then you shouldn't rush into a demo, and a demo shouldn't be your focal point. Because if you actually studied some Business Studies in school you would know that "customers" want a high quality product, and not an incomplete one that sucks. Keep that in mind. You are just constantly contradicting yourself.

Last edited:

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    David
    Welcome to my signature :).

Regarding the layout
    I personally don't think it should be on any side, it should be above the original thread post, where it will remain on every page.
    Yea I tend to end up in people's sigs, I do make a lot of memorable posts...
    But seriously if anyone has any problem with my opinions, PM me... I am a very opinionated person.

I have to agree with ‎ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ on his points. Judging games based on whether they have a demo or not is just ridiculus. I personally think that demos are pointless, and bad. A demo just gives you playable material, enough to spoil the game experience, and not enough to make you enjoy it. Demos are usually up to the second gym or so, and what's the point of that? You just play a pointless amount of game time, which prevents you from forming any real opinion about the game, because there is not enough playable material to bond with what the game is about. A video, or screenshot can give you enough information in order to get familiar with the game interface, and outlines of the game play, but an unfinished, pointless piece of play, just ruins it. So just allowing this layout to the demo games is pointless too, because only a few people will be able to use it.

Yea but people need to start following the professional game companies, I thin the demos just get me hooked into the game rather than bore me... Its the way you present the first few levels, which I don't like in pokemon, because they tend to be a drag even in real games...

Back