• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A thank you would have been nice

Years
  • Maybe laziness is probably why my parents choose not to say thank you to me? :L but I can see what Nick means by laziness being tied into "thank you", especially in situations such as one holding a door open for another.

Years
  • I think it's a sweet gesture? It's like a you didn't have to, but you did :3

Haha, the awkward thing is when I hold the door for a person who's clearly far behind me, and they run up to me and then say "thank you". :D

Years
  • HA! Nah I think I just walk faster than people, since I'm using my speed to estimate if they'll catch up or not, eh? XD I feel kinda bad about it, but it's cute to see other people hustle :3

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • I can say "thank you", but I don't use it often, because guess what?
    People don't do it to me neither!

I tried to help many people, but only a few of them ever thanked me for that, many others don't even want any contact with me anymore, after I helped them out with something.
    Recently, I decided to only help the ones I'm sure I can trust, instead of the ones who are in for only one thing and Block/Ban me from everything afterwards.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Personally, I guess things that stand out should get a thank you for sure. I can understand the argument that small stuff can be dismissed with a smile.

This thread totally didn't come from my dear anon post, by the way, I just realized LOL

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I can say "thank you", but I don't use it often, because guess what?
    People don't do it to me neither!

This used to be truth with me, and I despised it, so I started saying it more to people to finally get a rise out of them. It's never really worked, though; if people don't care they just don't care. :(

Sirfetch’d

This used to be truth with me, and I despised it, so I started saying it more to people to finally get a rise out of them. It's never really worked, though; if people don't care they just don't care. :(

This was also the case for me, but lately for some reason I have just started saying thank you to everyone regardless if I never hear the words myself. I can't remember the last time someone irl told me thanks for anything :/

Years
  • Yeah I don't really see a difference if they say thank you or not. It's all the same in the end, what goes around comes around, or maybe they'll pay it forwards - they'll say thank you to someone else.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
    Years
  • To me, that trend of being rude doesn't make you cool, it actually makes you disrespectful.
    I mean, why do you need to hate people to become 'cool', while you can achieve the same thing while being nice?

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    I don't really mind it when people don't thank me. Whenever people do, I usually just shrug like "It's no big deal, I do favors for people all the time." I guess I kind of got used to people not thanking me that when people do, I don't have any reactions.

Years
  • You should not do things for the sake of meriting a "thank you". Nor should receiving one justify the act or make you feel any better and inversely not receiving one make you feel worse. That said, I say "thank you" every time it is necessary--which is in most cases when one would expect to get one.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • I only get thank yous when I give christmas presents to people. I think it is just rude if I do something for someone and they do not say thank you. I say thank you if someone does something for me or gives me a present.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • This has been a bad habit for all of my family for years and years and years. My parents weren't the first people to teach me manners. It was Barney. xD

It really offends me when I do something for someone and I don't get a thank you, same when someone asks me for something and don't say please. I always respond politely yes or no because it's always been that way. But unfortunately, living in a town where these so-called manners do not exist whatsoever, I've also been taught to be rude, but I only do so when people do not give me the proper respect I deserve.

also how did this thread get to two pages already wow

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Very true! Although people should not do things in deserve of thankness, but out of the kindness of their heart recognition is not bad. If you thank someone, then they are more than likely to do another act of kindness or the same act again. Every day at school if I get lunch I always try to make sure to thank the lunch ladies no matter what type of mood that I'm in. Let's face it, the pay for being a lunch lady isn't great but they do it out of the kindness of their hearts and that should be appreciated.

I think that saying "Thank You" has been come to be known as a common courtesy such as "Bless You" and "You're Welcome" and "Excuse Me". I don't think that they're necessary to say, but I agree that it does show class when they're said. I work at McDonalds and I know that I sure do I appreciate it when a customer personally thanks me for their food over someone that doesn't recognized that I'm there. My goal is to purposely be nice enough to receive that "thank you". I'm not necessarily expecting it, but it is nice and has got me through the day more than once. People don't realize idiosyncrasies like that.

As for "You're Welcome". I think that people have just used that as a term to make sure that they're heard the "thank you" and that they've recognized it. In today's world I believe that people are getting more rude. I can tell this from working at fast food. They expect their order and they want it now. I think that as a society, that we are becoming more rude on a yearly basis.

Back