• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Time of Turmoil

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvanarrow

A figment of your imagination
    Years
    (OOC: Sorry for the delay! I was busy with college stuff and had writer's block.)

Prologue

A shaft of sunlight crept through the almost imperceptible gap in the tent flaps, bringing with it the ever-present grains of desert sand and the promise of another sweltering day. The brightness moved over the figure sleeping in the tent and fell across his closed eyelids. That was all it took to bring Anton Chesnokov to wakefulness, just like every other day. The thin blanket he slept under pooled around his waist as the lithe young man sat up on his sleeping mat, yawning and stretching his back until he felt a few vertebrae pop pleasurably. Beside him, his Combusken was also starting to wake up, having sensed his master stir.

"Come on, Griffith. We don't want to day to start without us," Anton joked.

"Busken," Griffith replied, giving his head a quick shake to get rid of the cobwebs.

The duo exited the small tent, and Anton took a deep breath of the relatively cool morning air. The sun had just risen less than an hour ago and had not yet had the chance to bake the rolling sands with her sweltering rays. The tents of the other people in the Desert Tribe were arranged in a circle facing inward, with the supply wagons forming a protective outer rim. They would be pitching camp and leaving soon; Anton's father had mentioned yesterday that they had already stayed in this one place for too long.

Anton splashed some water from a copper bin onto his face, enjoying the feel of the cool liquid on his skin. As he dried off with a hand towel, a familiar voice spoke behind him: "And here I was hoping you would oversleep. I had this great story planned out and everything for our teacher."

Anton turned and met his younger brother's mischievous gaze with a smirk of his own. "Sorry, Maks, but the only way that would happen was if you tied me down while I was asleep."

Maks gave a hearty laugh, his dark brown hair, so much like his brother's, bouncing on his head. "Careful, brother, or you'll give me too many ideas." His Torchic peered timidly around from behind his leg but gave a happy chirp at seeing Griffith. The little chick adored his older brother. "All right, Aedan and I are going to head over for the morning drills. See you there."

"See you in a few," Anton replied with a wave as Maks and Aedan jogged away. After bidding his parents good morning, he and Griffith wolfed down a quick breakfast before taking off to join their siblings. The men of the tribe, ranging from boys having just passed into their teens to the veteran fighters, were just starting to gather in a flat area just outside the wagon rim, where the dirt was packed down harder. This was where Anton and Griffith spent most of their days, training individually, with each other, and with the other men to hone their fighting skills so they could protect their tribe. Sometimes he would be assigned to a hunting or scouting party, and other times he would be called to defend the people against a Fire Tribe raid. The number of raids had dropped off considerably since the end of the war, but they still couldn't be too careful.

After performing some basic stretches to warm his muscles, Anton drew his hand-and-a-half sword from its scabbard at his waist. He swung the blade experimentally, testing the feel of the hilt and the weight of the weapon in his hands. It was familiar, comfortable, like the whispers of an old friend. "Looking for a sparring partner?" Anton turned to see Maks standing nearby, his shortsword drawn and held with the point down.

Anton smirked. "Sure, if you don't mind losing again, little brother."

"Oh, I'll have you know that I've got a few new tricks up my sleeve," Maks returned easily. "Prepare yourself!" He suddenly lashed out with his blade, and Anton reflexively brought his sword to bear to block it.

Anton grunted as he bore the force of his brother's strike. "Not bad, looks like you've improved a little." He forced Maks off him and countered with a swing to the head. Maks easily ducked, just like Anton knew he would, and soon the brothers fell into a familiar rhythm of blocking, parrying, and striking with their blades. Griffith and Aedan watched from the sidelines, studying their masters' movements. Griffith in particular had learned how to complement Anton's sword fighting with his own hand-to-hand combat by watching in this manner.

As they fought, a wave of vertigo suddenly swept through Anton's limbs, blurring his vision and nearly bringing him to his knees. Sensing something was wrong, Maks pulled back and exclaimed, "Anton? What's wrong?"

"N-nothing. It's just…the heat…" Anton didn't get the chance to finish his sentence, as the earth rose up to meet him as his vision went black.

Anton groaned as his consciousness slowly returned, though his head felt like it was in a fog. "W-what happened? Where am I?" Staggering to his feet, he could see nothing but darkness. The area immediately around him lightened slightly so that he could see nearly a dozen other human silhouettes standing with him in a circle, though he could not distinguish their faces.

Before he could think to form words, a loud booming voice resonated from nowhere yet was everywhere at once. "MY CHILDREN…" A chill ran down Anton's spine. This voice sounded almost…godlike. "I HAVE CALLED YOU HERE BECAUSE YOU ALL HAD A COMMON TRAIT. YOU ALL HAVE HAD A FEELING THAT YOU WERE DESTINED TO DO SOMETHING MORE." Anton realized that this was true. Ever since he had received Griffith, he had wanted nothing more than to grow stronger to protect his tribe. But was that all he would ever accomplish with his life? There was so much more to this world than the deserts he had called home for so many years, and he yearned to experience them.

"I AM ARCEUS, THE ALPHA ONE." Stunned beyond belief, Anton dropped to his knees and bowed his head. The elders had always taught him to revere Arceus above all others and that one would die for looking him in the eye. "DO NOT FEAR ME LITTLE ONES. I COME BRINGING A MISSION. MY EVIL BROTHER, GIRATINA, IS ONCE AGAIN TRYING TO BRING HAVOC TO MY DOMAIN. HIS PORTAL IS DISSINIGRATING AS WE SPEAK. HIS MINONS HAVE BEEN UNLEASHED UPON THIS WORLD, WREAKING HAVOC WHERE EVER THEY GO. WHILE WE COULD SOLVE THIS PROBLEM OURSELVES, WE DO NOT SEE YOUR LIVES AS MEANINGFUL ANYMORE. YOU ONLY WORSHIP THE GODS YOU CHOOSE INSTEAD OF ALL OF US. TO PROVE YOU DO STILL WORSHIP US YOU MUST FIND THE TRUE GOD TEMPLE'S OF YOUR LAND AND FIND THE PROOF THAT EXISTS THERE."

Before Anton could think to wonder about this situation or the proof he was supposed to find, images started flitting through his mind's eye, images sent from Arceus himself. A building inside a volcano… "A VOLCANO ON THE COAST OF THE FIRE REALM HOLDS HEATRAN'S PROOF." A cave concealed in the deserts that he knew all too well… "DEEP BENEATH THE TREACHEROUS QUICKSAND LIES GROUDON'S PROOF." A temple in the towering mountains… "HIGHER THAN YOU CAN GO, REGIGIGAS' PROOF." A fortress in the underwater abyss… "KYOGRE'S PROOF LIES DEEP ON THE OCEAN FLOOR." A temple in a dense, forbidding marsh… "PALKIA'S MARSH KINGDOM HOLDS HIS PROOF." The silhouette of a building hidden deep within the forest… "SHAYMINS'S TREACHEROUS LAIR HOLDS THE PROOF OF HIS." A floating plateau in the plains… "RAYQUAZA'S PROOF IS LOCATED DEEP WITHIN THE PLAINS OF THE SKY REALM." And finally… "THE PLACE OF FEAR FOR THOSE OF THE REALM OF LIGHT, THERE LIES DIALGA'S PROOF."

The images faded from Anton's mind, though he yearned to reach out to them, to make them a reality. "THERE ARE OTHERS LIKE YOU IN YOUR REALM. YOU CAN TRAVEL WITH THEM OR AWAY FROM THEM IF YOU WISH FOR NOW. FIND THE TEMPLE'S AND RECOVER THEIR PROOF. BE WARNED HOWEVER AS GIRATINA'S MINONS ALSO HAUNT THE TEMPLE'S NOW WITH THEIR DARK POKEMON AT THEIR SIDE. THEY WILL KILL YOU IF THEY GET THE CHANCE. ONE LAST THING MY CHILDREN. TRUST NO ONE OF YOUR TRUE MISSION. THIS IS FOR YOU, AND YOU ALONE."

Anton opened his mouth to speak, but no words would come. Reality faded away again, and other voices rang in his ears.

"Anton! Anton, wake up!"

"Busken! Combusken!"

"Torchic! Tor!"

Anton opened his eyes reluctantly to see Maks, Griffith, and Aedan around him. He sat up with a groan and rested his hand on his forehead. "Ow…my head…"

"What happened? Are you okay?" Maks asked worriedly.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine." Remembering Arceus' warning, he quickly invented a story. "I just let myself get too dehydrated. Won't make that mistake again."

"Maybe you should lie down in the shade. You've been pushing it too hard lately," Maks advised.

"Sure…" Anton got to his feet and headed back towards the tents, Griffith close by his side. He couldn't shake the sense of urgency that he now felt to leave, but the question was…what would he tell his people? What would he tell his parents? And most importantly, what would he tell his brother?

Last edited:

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    I'm sorry, but I'll have to drop out. I really was interested in this, and it seems awesome, but I can't think of a character SU at all. I don't know why, but I just can't. Once again, sorry for having to bail on you.

Legend

Kingslayer
    Years
    OOC: With the (apparent) deperature of Zeta, I am curious where that puts the Light Realm at. So Zimvee, I hope you have a plan. Side note: Here is my post finally combining the Prologue and a small bit of Chapter 1 as I will need help making my way to the temple, now won't I? :)

"You're late, Mr. Reigncliff," a loud, frightening voice boomed. "Not a good start to your first day on the job." That was the captain of the guard, an older yet physically powerful man. Standing several inches taller than Leon and at least 100 pounds heavier, Leon was easily knocked off his feet in mere seconds when the captain screamed at him. Attempting to recollect himself, Leon slowly lifted himself from the ground with caution. He carefully watched the captain's movements in order to avoid danger and harm. The captain sighed, "What am I going to do with you? I should expel you right here and now...maybe even strip you of your fine sword there." Leon immediately gripped the hilt and seemed prepared for battle as evidenced by his intense eyes and expression. The captain chuckled and smacked himself in the head: "I am joking, boy. Anyway, its your first day on the job right?"

"Yes sir!" Leon responded. "I am ready to catch some bad guys and defend the city from anything. Then maybe I'll take your position while I am it."

"Don't get too ahead of yourself. Took me a while to get here. And if you keep showing up late, I'll end your career before it even starts." Leon shuddered a bit remembering that small piece of information. A sick smirk stretched itself across the captain's face as he seized control of the situation. "You will patrol the market district since I am sure you are familiar with that and with your energy maybe you'll catch a pickpocket or something. I recommend bringing that thing with you. It might control you and stop you from hurting someone."

"You mean Kirlia?" Leon asked, pointing at the small creature at the door who was eagerly waiting for her master to complete the talking process.

"Yes, that one. I get the feeling its far more controlled that you. Also, it will likely help you. Catch things you may miss otherwise. Good luck."

Leon, in his guard uniform, proudly stormed through the market district. He checked on the various stores to make sure everything was in order. However, a feeling of disappointment came over him. Perching himself on a bench, Leon watched the passing citizens as they about their daily lives. Living in perfect harmony with not a single care in the world. Kirlia, at his side, looked up at her master. Her eyes seemed to expand as she stared at his face with concern. Her "aura", if you will, conveyed a sense of worry. Leon could immediately read her and pet her on the head. "It's nothing. I just feel like I am not cut of for this. I want something more. Sure, I get to help my fair city...but its not enough for me. I want to be famous!" Leon immediately rose from his seat with determination as destiny called.

"HELP! THEIF!" A woman called. "HE STOLE MY BAG FULL OF........STUFF! YEAH STUFF!" A young man wearing a white hood plowed through the crowd and using his superior agility, seemed to dance through the obstacles provided by the stands and shops in the district. Leon's face lit up as opportunity called. Motioning Kirlia to follow him, Leon was red hot on the trail. After chasing him through the district with far less finesse, tossing people out the way and breaking several stands. Leon nearly caught up with the suspect. However, the man used his superior mind and decided to use the boxes conveniently placed on the ground as a vault in order to climb up onto the roofs of the buildings of the city, after appearing to literally run up the wall.

"Damn it....Kirlia! Go contact the other guards in the area. I'll follow him and try to catch that little criminal. I'll show who's boss. Believe it." Splitting up, Leon attempted to follow the man's path and with much luck found a perfect-fully placed ladder to use as a means of evening the field. The man paused with shock and anxiety as Leon charged forward. Jumping across the numerous gaps in between buildings, Leon's sprinting began to slowly creep on the man, despite several terrible jumps. The suspect's nimble body and form seemed to make appear as if he was walking on air every time a leap was required. Leon on the other hand was forced to power through and fatigue was settling in. At his limit, Leon caught up to the man. Grabbing his waist tightly forcing the air from the thief's lungs, Leon decided to allow faith to choose their destiny. Logically, he would bring the man to the ground but for Leon that was missing something: Glory. Leon tightened the grip he can the man's weak body and in a leap of faith, jumped off the building they were on. Plunging to the ground, a conveniently placed pile of hay was awaiting them. Luckily, he didn't feel anything break.

Citizens in the area brought it to the attention of the town guard who locked down the region and brought the thief in for questioning. Leon rose from the pile of hay and reacived much acclaim from his peers.

"Good job, man. Surprised you got him."

"First piece of action in the week and the rookie gets it. Figures...great job though."

"Another achievement to add to your score. What is it now?

Even, the captain had a compliment in store: "Congratulations, Mr. Reigncliff."

Leon, gasping for air, attempted to act heroically. "All in a day's work. No prob--"

He collapsed. The last image he saw was his faithful Kirlia trying to stir him awake. But it was the darkness that pulled him under.

Emptiness. A stark contrast to a crowded city. It was a culture shock to the young man. He couldn't but feel strange, as if the area he was in was something more than a dream. He felt separated from reality. Incomplete. As if he was missing the element that made him alive. Infinite whiteness in every direction. "Something tells me I am not in the city basking in my own infinite glory any more," Leon pulled out his sword from his belt. "Show yourself. Explain what you did to me!" He waved his blade around, attempting to strike fear into the one who did this.

"MY CHILDREN..." A voice called, similar to the one of the captain's in volume and power. However, it felt divine. Holy. Leon was still on the edge, but calmed himself down. Clearly, he was in the presence of something far different than he expected. I HAVE CALLED YOU HERE BECAUSE YOU ALL HAD A COMMON TRAIT. YOU ALL HAVE HAD A FEELING THAT YOU WERE DESTINED TO DO SOMETHING MORE." Leon nodded in agreement. I was feeling that today, he thought to himself. Sheathing his blade, Leon stood still awaiting the next words of wisdom. "I AM ARCEUS, THE ALPHA ONE."

Wait...what?! Leon was in denial. Gods...that's one thing. Getting religious awakenings from you directly...that's another thing. But Arceus? The most powerful of them all? Arguably the creator of everything is talking to him. For what? It was clear at this point he wasn't dreaming and likely Arceus induced him to some sleep as a means of communication. At this point, other figures appeared. A group. Where they being communicated to as well? Does Arceus of some greater purpose for him and the others? His head began to hurt. Must of been asking himself too many questions.

"DO NOT FEAR ME LITTLE ONES. I COME BRINGING A MISSION. MY EVIL BROTHER, GIRATINA, IS ONCE AGAIN TRYING TO BRING HAVOC TO MY DOMAIN. HIS PORTAL IS DISSINIGRATING AS WE SPEAK. HIS MINONS HAVE BEEN UNLEASHED UPON THIS WORLD, WREAKING HAVOC WHERE EVER THEY GO. WHILE WE COULD SOLVE THIS PROBLEM OURSELVES, WE DO NOT SEE YOUR LIVES AS MEANINGFUL ANYMORE. YOU ONLY WORSHIP THE GODS YOU CHOOSE INSTEAD OF ALL OF US. TO PROVE YOU DO STILL WORSHIP US YOU MUST FIND THE TRUE GOD TEMPLE'S OF YOUR LAND AND FIND THE PROOF THAT EXISTS THERE."

Before he could react to that, Leon's mind was raped but numerous images. He couldn't process them all, but one was especially notable. The City of Twilight. The place containing "Dialga's Proof". Was he supposed to go there? Was that his destiny? Suddenly excitement filled his blood. The blunt pain in his head was nothing to worry about now, as his true purpose in life was becoming clear.

"THERE ARE OTHERS LIKE YOU IN YOUR REALM. YOU CAN TRAVEL WITH THEM OR AWAY FROM THEM IF YOU WISH FOR NOW. FIND THE TEMPLE'S AND RECOVER THEIR PROOF. BE WARNED HOWEVER AS GIRATINA'S MINONS ALSO HAUNT THE TEMPLE'S NOW WITH THEIR DARK POKEMON AT THEIR SIDE. THEY WILL KILL YOU IF THEY GET THE CHANCE. ONE LAST THING MY CHILDREN. TRUST NO ONE OF YOUR TRUE MISSION. THIS IS FOR YOU, AND YOU ALONE."

Everything began to fade and the divine light was being replaced with something that feel far more.....human.

Leon felt complete and the fact compelled him to leap from his bed. He touched every fragment of his body. His face, his chest, his stomach, his hands. A sigh of relief overcame him. "I guess I am back in reality. What was that all about?" he asked himself. "Hmmm. That was too strange to be a dream. Hey Kirlia! Here, girl!" From the hallway, she came blasting through with excitement that her master was alive and well. She leapt into his arms and hugged him tight, nearly choking the very life he loved so much out of his very body. "Calm down, girl. I need you to do me a favor." She paused and listened, tilting her side to the side. "Using your little head of yours, I want you to try to find someone with purpose. Let's see...if you can read some minds of people. This person will have lots of questions. Doubts. And they will be looking for someone."

Using her telepathy, she asked "Who?"

"Me," he responded. "They will be looking for me."

BibarelRoll

Ghost Type Lover
    Years
    Golden light filtered through the cracks in the ceiling of the tattered and ruinous house that Sunalli and Michael would now call home. All of her beloved ghost Pokemon, aside from Tenma, had wandered off to create mischief wherever they might end up. Sunalli sat on the cold ground, leaning against the wall with the scythe grasped tightly between her hands. She stared blankly at Michael, whom Tenma was playing with and making happy. Thoughts bubbled senselessly in her mind, but one went through it the most. Who was the other person in her tribe? Surely she did not know them, for the only places she ever went were the market place and to the ruin she was currently residing in.

Rising to her feet, she looked around. "I might as well try and find them," she mumbled under her breath. She turned her head and saw a Gengar pass easily through the wall. She walked over and patted it on the head, smiling. "I'm afraid I must leave for a while, my friend. Watch over Michael, will you?" Then Gengar smiled and nodded, walking over to Michael. Sunalli followed suit, now talking to Michael. "Michael, I need to go. There's... Something I have to take care of. Try and keep out of trouble, will you? Our friends will protect you. Take care, brother!" Michael smiled, waving as Sunalli and Tenma started to exit.

She was a few steps out, when she felt two small arms around her waist. "Be careful, sister," She heard Michael say softly. She turned around and hugged him, agreeing that she would. Now Sunalli and Tenma were off, and her new scythe was clasped in one hand. Now... How do I go about finding them? she asked herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chatter and talking echoed in the market place, vendors calling from their stands and luring in customers. Sunalli turned down offers that came her was as politely as she could, not wanting to stir any trouble. She looked around, the sun setting quietly. Tenma had no idea why his master was acting this way, but he wanted nothing more than to please her.

She huffed, "Oh, this isn't working at all! Certainly I would be able to tell they were the one..." Tenma looked up at her, confused. "...Gast?" he questioned. She smiled and patted him on the head. "It's nothing, Tenma," she assured her friend. He simply smiled at her.

She continued walking around, searching. Occasionally people who did not see her a lot would glance awkwardly at her smoggy purple colored hair. She payed no mind, too caught up in trying the find the person who had also received the message from Arceus. There was no way she would travel to Twilight City by herself!

With a sigh of exhaustion, she sat down on a flimsy wooden bench. It bowed slightly under her weight. "This is so hopeless," she murmured, tired from looking through the crowds of people.

silvanarrow

A figment of your imagination
    Years
    OOC: This thread needs LIIIIIIFE!!! By the way, when are we getting an OOC thread?

Chapter 1: Departure

Anton spent most of the afternoon off in own little world, not speaking unless spoken to and only allowing Griffith as company. His mind was still reeling from everything he had learned in that single vision from Arceus, though that didn't stop him from trying to plan his next move.

'Let's see…the closest temple to me would have to be the one for Groudon. I know I've seen a place with lots of quicksand before; I'm sure the location will come back to me once I actually get moving.'

"Busken?" Griffith asked, cocking his head to one side. He wasn't used to seeing Anton so quiet and thoughtful when he usually had a cynical remark for everything.

"Huh?" Anton noticed his Pokemon's obvious confusion and let a broad smirk dominate his face as he gently gave Griffith a little noogie. "Stop looking at me like that, buddy. You're gonna make me worry." Then he finally got his grand idea. It was a little cliché, but it would suffice. "I've got it. We'll slip away tonight after everyone is asleep. I'll leave a note so they know I'm not dead or anything." He could fabricate a good enough excuse. After all, he wouldn't be the only one from the Desert Tribe to go on a little solo journey. A spirit of independence ran strong in his people's blood.

Exclamations of distress from the outskirts of the camp brought Anton back to brutal awareness, and he and Griffith sprinted side by side to the source of the sound. One of the tribe's warriors, a man in his mid-thirties, was lying in a heap on the ground as if he had just collapsed, surrounded by a concerned group of men and women. Anton recognized him as the scout they had sent out earlier that morning to serve as a lookout. The man's right leg had what appeared to be a vicious bite wound in the calf, which bled profusely through the bandages that his comrades were using to try and staunch the bleeding. His Pokemon partner, a Growlithe, lay trembling in pain beside his master as if he had just risked life and limb to fend off whatever had attacked them.

Anton shoved his way through the throng to try and catch the wounded man's explanation for his injury. "It ambushed us from behind…we never saw it coming…" the man stammered, his eyes wide with fright. "A Mightyena…"

Hushed gasps and frightened murmurs ran through the crowd. A Dark type… Servant of Giratina… Evil… A knot of dread started forming in Anton's stomach. 'I may have less time than I thought…'

Apparently that time was nonexistent, as a bloodthirsty snarl drew the crowd's attention over to an outcropping of rock that had served as a shelter for the tribe. Now a Mightyena stood there in a predatory crouch, growls rumbling in its chest and fresh blood dripping from its canines. The other warriors started to reach for their weapons, but Anton stepped in front of them, holding out his hand to tell them to stay their blades. "I got this," he said with confidence. "Let's go, Griffith!"

"Combusken!" Griffith took a bounding leap forward to build up momentum as he charged the Mightyena in a Quick Attack. The black dog snarled and opened his mouth to collect shadowy energy from the air.

"Dodge that Shadow Ball!" Anton ordered.

"Busken!" Griffith leaped to the side and landed on his hands, using the momentum to somersault and land upright.

Anton smirked. The battle was already going his way. "Please, is that all you've got, little doggie? You might want to run back to your pack for reinforcements, and then maybe you'll stand a chance against Griffith."

Mightyena's pupils turned to angry little pinpoints, and he left off his pursuit of Griffith to charge straight at Anton with a Take Down. "Griffith, use Sky Uppercut!" Griffith's claws grew longer and glowed white, and pure energy crackled around his arm as he came in from the side and slammed his fist brutally into Mightyena's chest. The Dark type howled in pain as he was flung up into the air. "Finish it with Double Kick!"

"Busken!" Griffith leaped into the air after his foe and slammed his foot into Mightyena's unprotected belly, sending him further skyward. Then gravity started to take over and bring the combatants back down to earth. Griffith lifted his heel up and rammed it downward into Mightyena's back, using the force of gravity to slam the black dog into the packed dirt below. "Combuskeeeeen!"

Before the dust cleared from the impact, Anton was kneeling next to the fallen Pokemon, one knee on its spine while he held his unsheathed blade by its throat. Mightyena wisely froze and turned a single rebellious eye toward Anton, who was now flanked by Griffith. In a hushed undertone, Anton whispered to the Pokemon, the threat of death lacing his voice. "I'm the one you're looking for, not them." He motioned to the tribe with his head. "I'm leaving tonight, so I'm going to give you one chance to run back to your master with your tail between your legs so you can tell him to leave them alone. Got it? Or are those instructions too hard to understand?" He pressed the blade closer to Mightyena's throat, the implied threat all too clear. The Pokemon closed his eyes and growled in submission. "Glad we could reach an understanding," Anton said, his usual cynicism taking on an acidic tone. He stood up and nudged Mightyena with his boot. "Now get going before I change my mind." His foe didn't need to be told twice. It took off at a dead sprint and had vanished behind the rocks before anyone could think to pursue it.

Later that night…

Two lone figures slipped away from the encampment, sticking close together and keeping to the shadows to mask their presence from the night watch gathered around the campfires. The tent the duo had called home was intact, though devoid of all personal possessions. In their place was a hastily scribbled note on a worn piece of parchment.

Maks,

I have to leave for a while. I don't know when I'll be back, and I'm not at liberty to explain why. I'm sorry to take off so suddenly, but know that I'm doing it for you, little brother. Protect the tribe while I'm gone, and stay safe. I'd like to come back and find you in one piece. And I will come back, I promise. I'll find you all again no matter what.

-Anton

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
    Years
    ((Better late than never? ))

Aderyn lifted her skirts, running down toward the water. She had just returned from her prayer at Lugia's temple, something she did every week, and she had nothing to look forward to but a stolen moment by the sea.

Today her mother was entertaining guests, meaning that Aderyn had to be there and look like the perfect daughter, having small-talk with the lady and her children while her father chatted with the potential costumer. That's how it always was when they had guests. The husband would be interested in buying jewelry, taking his wife and usually daughters to the house to discuss things over some wine.

She had allowed her mother to dress her up for this. She hated the dress, it restricted her movement and made her feel clumsy and foolish. It was a pretty thing, of a light green wool with silver trim, but it still wasn't what Aderyn wanted. She had also allowed Genevieve, her eldest sister, to dress her hair in an elaborate braid, but it was only for show.

Now was her only chance of a stolen moment. She had left the house before the guests had come under the excuse that she was going to the Temple, which her mother couldn't refuse her. Having kept her prayer on the short side she now had some time to spend on the piers before she had to return to the house and be all proper.

It was a lovely day, blue skies, calm sea, really perfect for the fishermen. "Aren't you supposed to be at your house, little sparrow?" Aderyn turned with a smile to Gavin. Gavin was the fisherman who saved her life once, and he had been a good friend ever since. He was getting older, his short brown hair was streaked with white and lines were carved into his face, but they were good lines, laughing lines.

"Just stealing a visit before I go back there," she told him and he nodded in acceptance. She lowered herself on her belly to look over the edge of the pier and into the water. It always looked so beautiful and inviting. She could swim like a fish, she had been told, but there would be no swimming today, not in this dress.

She leaned over some more, touching the water with her hand and gently steering it in circles. Just as she was leaning over a little more, her head felt like it exploded. She gasped, reflex coaxing her hand to her head as her balance was lost and she found herself falling into the waters.

Just at that moment a voice exploded in her head. "MY CHILDREN…" She was half frightened by the voice, and half lured to it. It held power, absolute power. Suddenly she wasn't in her body anymore, she felt like she was somewhere else entirely. "I HAVE CALLED YOU HERE BECAUSE YOU ALL HAD A COMMON TRAIGHT. YOU ALL HAVE HAD A FEELING THAT YOU WERE DESTINED TO DO SOMETHING MORE," the voice said. "I AM ARCEUS, THE ALPHA ONE." It certainly explained the power eminating from him. Aderyn was too dazed to really think anything else.

"DO NOT FEAR ME LITTLE ONES. I COME BRINGING A MISSION. MY EVIL BROTHER, GIRATINA, IS ONCE AGAIN TRYING TO BRING HAVOC TO MY DOMAIN. HIS PORTAL IS DISSINIGRATING AS WE SPEAK. HIS MINONS HAVE BEEN UNLEASHED UPON THIS WORLD, WREAKING HAVOC WHERE EVER THEY GO. WHILE WE COULD SOLVE THIS PROBLEM OURSELVES, WE DO NOT SEE YOUR LIVES AS MEANINGFUL ANYMORE. YOU ONLY WORSHIP THE GODS YOU CHOOSE INSTEAD OF ALL OF US. TO PROVE YOU DO STILL WORSHIP US YOU MUST FIND THE TRUE GOD TEMPLE'S OF YOUR LAND AND FIND THE PROOF THAT EXISTS THERE."

Minions? Unleashed? That did not sound good at all. Suddenly a pain in Aderyn's chest started. She wasn't breathing, she was in the water somewhere. But she also wasn't. She didn't have the power to think anything but the lightheadedness that was overcoming her. Just then a set of images flashed before her eyes. The first was a steel building in a volcano. "A VOLCANO ON THE COAST OF THE FIRE REALM HOLDS HEATRAN'S PROOF." Then a massive desert cave came into view. "DEEP BENEATH THE TREACHEROUS QUICKSAND LIES GROUDON'S PROOF." A colossal mountain temple. "HIGHER THAN YOU CAN GO, REGIGIGAS PROOF."A shrine underwater. "KYOGRE'S PROOF LIES DEEP ON THE OCEAN FLOOR." A primitive structure carved out of brush, roots, and swamp. "PALKIA'S MARSH KINGDOM HOLDS HIS PROOF." A pitch-black jungle. "SHAYMINS'S TREACHEROUS LAIR HOLDS THE PROOF OF HIS." A gorgeous plateau on the plains he had grown accustomed to. "RAYQUAZA'S PROOF IS LOCATED DEEP WITHIN THE PLAINS OF THE SKY REALM." And last there shone a deep purple portal, surrounded by machines and black steel of which Corey had no knowledge of. "THE PLACE OF FEAR FOR THOSE OF THE REALM OF LIGHT, THERE LIES DIALGA'S PROOF."

Just then she felt like she had to breathe, she had to inhale in the faint hope of oxygen. She opened her mouth, fully expecting salty water to gush into it, but instead she breathed clear air. Air devoid of sea, air. She almost trembled at the relief of her body, though still dazed by the happenings. She didn't understand them all, almost as if the worries of the Gods were too much for her. They were killing the planet, the humans and the minions both, and she along with others had to find temples. It was almost laughable, but then entirely not at the same time.

"THERE ARE OTHERS LIKE YOU IN YOUR REALM. YOU CAN TRAVEL WITH THEM OR AWAY FROM THEM IF YOU WISH FOR NOW. FIND THE TEMPLE'S AND RECOVER THEIR PROOF. BE WARNED HOWEVER AS GIRATINA'S MINONS ALSO HAUNT THE TEMPLE'S NOW WITH THEIR DARK POKEMON AT THEIR SIDE. THEY WILL KILL YOU IF THEY GET THE CHANCE. ONE LAST THING MY CHILDREN. TRUST NO ONE OF YOUR TRUE MISSION. THIS IS FOR YOU, AND YOU ALONE."

She felt a strong tug on her arms and then she was out of the water, and away from the strange dream. She felt someone gently slapping her cheeks and she felt herself spit out ocean water. "Aderyn! Aderyn!" Someone was saying, almost desperately. "Aderyn wake up!"

She opened her eyes, only to look into Gavin's. Behind him were some curious onlookers who had been attracted by the misfortune of someone else. "It's okay, slowly lassie, slowly," Gavin told her as she helped her sit up. "You were under for several minutes and didn't come up, you gave us all a heart attack!" Aderyn thought she saw more lines carved into Gavin's face then there had been before, just a few.

Shakily, she stood up. "I have to go," she said as she uncertainly walked and then ran up the hill toward her house, leaving Gavin shouting at her with concern. She had to go, she had to do something.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back