• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A world in black and white

Honest

Hi!
Years
  • So let's say that everyone in the world woke up tomorrow morning unable to see any color: only shades of black and tints of white. How would that day go for you, if you had to run a typical day, and how hard do you imagine it'd be for you to adjust to such a world?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I think it would be weird, and I would freak out, and I enjoy art and colors, and so I would be sad I couldn't see them anymore. Also it would make driving harder, and there would be a lot of car wrecks. xD

However, my job doesn't rely much on color.

I'd adjust without much hassle, but I'd miss it.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • That's the biggest question, though, exactly how detrimental would the loss of color be in a typically normal day. :3 I've heard so many different answers for that, it's not even funny.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Well, for one thing, no one would drive the roads anymore for a fear of crashing at a stop light.

I would hate it. I think a lot of people would become depressed and go mad. Although I think that would be more the case of the current generation; the following generation wouldn't have as serious a problem, and so on. The first thing that actually came to mind when I saw this post was the book "The Giver". If I remember correctly, when the main character began to see color he started to question everything and saw new light to a bleak world.

Just some food for thought.

Sirfetch’d

I'd be insanely sad ans lost without color D: I'm a person who wants everything to be filled with color. I identify things with color so yeah, I don't know how I would adjust D:

Years
  • I'd just sit and laugh at all of the people freaking out at the loss of color, while it wouldn't be much more than a minor adjustment for me since I'm color blind. Granted, it'd be a little strange for things to be completely grayscale, but for things like work, I've just learned to work around color coded things, so I'd expect it to be a pretty average day, haha.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I think my main concern would be traffic lights lol

As a nun I live mostly in a world of black and white anyway

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • When I was little, I used to think that everything was in black & white before coloured photography... Don't question me. >_>

Anyway, I wouldn't have any problems with it.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I don't think it would make much of a difference, though things will definitely be duller and less interesting than before. Of course it will take some getting used to, but if colourblind people can live a normal life, I don't see how others can't learn to live with that too.

As for traffic lights, one does not need colour vision to tell whether to stop or go. Different colours have different shades of grey, right? If the lights change, the shade of grey will change. All one needs is to know the position of the red, orange and green lights (which is most probably the same in most countries - red on top and green at the bottom) and he/she'll be fine.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I'd be sad and I would need to adjust and stuff, but I think I could manage it. The only thing that would be hard is identifying produce as a cashier xD. Onions will look like oranges. Although, I'd probably be a little happier. It'd make choosing a theme a lot easier.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • I will just live the life, i used to live, black and white avatars on PC forums, BW tea, BW coffee, BW Mapping in Amap! BW friends, BW streets, confusion for, where the hell is zebra crossing, all animals in Zoo will look like Zebra, it'll be a fun world in imagination, but We all cant live without colours!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I would probably have a panic attack. That's some seriously scary ♥♥♥♥ to wake up to, not even playing.

Years
  • I'd feel weird and all "WTF?!?!?!?" but not to the extent where I'd go crazy over it. Just imagine television back in the day, and nothing more really.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I'd just sit and laugh at all of the people freaking out at the loss of color, while it wouldn't be much more than a minor adjustment for me since I'm color blind. Granted, it'd be a little strange for things to be completely grayscale, but for things like work, I've just learned to work around color coded things, so I'd expect it to be a pretty average day, haha.

I never can recall how colorblindess works, but that's something I'd been thinking of while creating the thread. I'd imagine that they'd have it a lot easier :O

I think anyone and everyone would freak out if color suddenly vanished though, haha.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • my best friend can't see any colour I thought I would just remark this lololol then again he can't see anything so uh

I wouldn't care too much. Sometimes colour is too intense. In some ways it would be a relief. It would be a ♥♥♥♥♥ trying to identify birds lol. With regard to traffic lights, traffic lights are in different locations (top is stop, middle is caution, bottom is go) so I don't think it would be dangerous in that respect, and you could still see the levels of darkness and light on important signs. I wouldn't want it to go but I would probably adjust okay.

I actually view my browser in black-and-white mode to help out my sensitivity to bright colours so yeah. lol

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I'd feel weird and all "WTF?!?!?!?" but not to the extent where I'd go crazy over it. Just imagine television back in the day, and nothing more really.

Well I mean that's a little bit of an extreme, as we didn't actually live in black-and-white televisions. But I get your point nonetheless.

Wait, does that mean that I can form my own The Honeymooner's sitcom and get stuck on my own island like in Gilligan's Island?! That would be amazing! ;D

Back