• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Ability Discussion

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    I wish there was an ability which halved the opponent's chances to inflict secondary effects against you, basically the opposite of Serene Grace.

It would come in handy against pokemon that rely on Flinch and Burn.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Would be pretty cool if, on some otherwise weak Pokemon, there was an ability that negated all non-attacking moves by the opponent? Basically, Taunt in an ability.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    I would love to see a version of IronFist that applies to the "Fang" moves... bite, crunch, thunder fang, ice fang, etc.

EPIC WIN!

Would be pretty cool if, on some otherwise weak Pokemon, there was an ability that negated all non-attacking moves by the opponent? Basically, Taunt in an ability.

this would be AWESOME, but makes wynaut even uber-er lol

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
    Years
    I'm back! After reading a few of peoples comments, I thought I'd adapt on them, and add some ideas I've had while sleeping and stuff.

Observation-When the user is sent into battle, it gains all of the foes stat changes. Both positive and negative. Psychic-Types would primarily have this.

Rampage-When the foe lowers the users stats (Eg, when using TailWhip), the users Attack is increased slightly. Used by Tyranitar or Tauros, something that gets angry a lot.

StrongJaw-Increases damage from Bite-based moves. (Bite, Crunch, ThunderFang, IceFang, FireFang). Could be used by Hippopatas.

Stable-Stat based moves have no effect on the owner of this ability. (I have a feeling this ablity already exists...)
    (EDIT-Yep, it's called WhiteSmoke, although it is only owned by Torkoal)

Overload-Increases the power of moves that have to charge at the beginning of the turn (SolarBeam) or have to rest afterwards (HyperBeam... Oh dear god, the horror!). Possibly used by Magnemite/Porygon

ThickSkull-Increases the damage of Headbutt based moves. (IronHead, ZenHeadbutt, Headbutt). Could be used by Cranidos/Sheilodon.

WaterProof-Damage from Water and Electric-Type deal 50% of their normal damage. A counter part to ThickFat. Could be used by Chinchou.

Insult-Opponent is limited to attack moves only. Wynaut anyone?

Basics-Lowers the likelyness of foes moves secondary ability happening. (Lowers likelyness of Flinch/Burn on attack moves). Can't think of a Pokemon that can use it now, possibly Clefairy Evo-line.

That's all folks!

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    called Levitate mate :P

toxic its already a move, and its raises even faster :P

ohh crud yeah i just realised that lol.

but Toxin it works with regular poison, theres a random chance the poison damage for THAT turn would increase to 1/4, making it more feared.

also, sunkern doesnt feel like it has 30 for every stat.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I'm back! After reading a few of peoples comments, I thought I'd adapt on them, and add some ideas I've had while sleeping and stuff.

Observation-When the user is sent into battle, it gains all of the foes stat changes. Both positive and negative. Psychic-Types would primarily have this.

Rampage-When the foe lowers the users stats (Eg, when using TailWhip), the users Attack is increased slightly. Used by Tyranitar or Tauros, something that gets angry a lot.

StrongJaw-Increases damage from Bite-based moves. (Bite, Crunch, ThunderFang, IceFang, FireFang). Could be used by Hippopatas.

Stable-Stat based moves have no effect on the owner of this ability. (I have a feeling this ablity already exists...)

Overload-Increases the power of moves that have to charge at the beginning of the turn (SolarBeam) or have to rest afterwards (HyperBeam... Oh dear god, the horror!). Possibly used by Magnemite/Porygon

ThickSkull-Increases the damage of Headbutt based moves. (IronHead, ZenHeadbutt, Headbutt). Could be used by Cranidos/Sheilodon.

WaterProof-Damage from Water and Electric-Type deal 50% of their normal damage. A counter part to ThickFat. Could be used by Chinchou.

Insult-Opponent is limited to attack moves only. Wynaut anyone?

Basics-Lowers the likelyness of foes moves secondary ability happening. (Lowers likelyness of Flinch/Burn on attack moves). Can't think of a Pokemon that can use it now, possibly Clefairy Evo-line.

That's all folks!

Overload could be could called Supercharge instead. Doubles power of Charge/Recharge moves. It's not that overpowered considering it's most likely an Electric type that learns it and they can probably only get Hyper Beam which is easily blocked by Ghosts.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    !

Are you honestly suggesting that the Pokemon's attack would increase by having its attack decreased?

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
    Years
    Well, no. In that situation its attack would remain the same.
    What would be meant to happen would be this...

Growlithe uses TailWhip on Tauros.
    Tauros's ability kicks in.
    Tauros's attack increases.

That kind of thing, but like I said, in the case of attack being lowered, the move would have no effect what so ever.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022

Clear Body, owned by Tentacool and the Regi among others, also has the same effect.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    i'm not good at naming, but

brains-pokemon can use man-made items (potions) too heal itself in battle (except for full restores?)

no miss- pokemon doesnt lose PP if a move misses

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    ohh crud yeah i just realised that lol.

but Toxin it works with regular poison, theres a random chance the poison damage for THAT turn would increase to 1/4, making it more feared.

also, sunkern doesnt feel like it has 30 for every stat.

true mate

i was thinking of this:

pollen- raises grass moves accuracy

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
    I was just thinking about things like this... and I was wondering, should every ability have a positive and negative side to it? Such as how 'Dry Skin' reduces HP in sunshine but restores HP in rain for example.

Maybe not every ability, but some of the more powerful ones... such as Technician.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    Which part?

Resiliant
    The chances of hitting self or being fully paralysed while under the aliments are decreased by 1/3
    Poison and Burn damage is reduced to 1/16
    The chance of thawing out while frozen increases to 50%

I was just thinking about things like this... and I was wondering, should every ability have a positive and negative side to it? Such as how 'Dry Skin' reduces HP in sunshine but restores HP in rain for example.

Maybe not every ability, but some of the more powerful ones... such as Technician.
    what like moves with over 120BP are halved?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2011
    ive got some
    guardian -2v2 battle if partner is weak like (delcatty lower atk/def) pokemon with this abiltity takes 1/2 of the damage
    madness-random move random target (can target self) greatly increased att and sp.att
    Gatling-multi hit move get massive increase
    reloader-moves that need recharge don't but can't be use more than 2 times
    fairgaurd-super effective be comes normal damage normal becomes 1/2 and 1/2 becomes immune
    gratitude- sooner its sent out the more of a over all stat increase it recieves
    patience - the later it is sent out the better basically a reverse of the above
    negative- streaths and weakness reversed ex. ice<grass<water
    weather call- every sound based move causes random weather (good for a rooster pokemon)

Years
    I would like to see ability which increases damage from every move (that inflicts damage ~~) for 50% if HP goes less than 1/5 of all (for example: Ember would jump from 40 to 60 damage, or water pulse from 60 to 90 etc.). Ability for all types

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

Technicians ability is increasing the power of moves by 1.5x.
    The drawback is it only works on moves of 60BP or less.

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    NitroBurner- turns all attacks into Fire type& boosts them by 50%

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    WHOA WHOA WHOA!

That is just way, WAY overpowered. The only Pokemon that should get that is a Fire-type, and turning all moves into Fire-type means they already get 50% boost through STAB, and then another? That's just way overpowered. Say hello to 205BP Returns. No thanks. Even on something with horrible base stats, that kind of ability doesn't deserve thinking of. It's pretty much "increase all moves power by 125%"

Back