• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Abortion: What do you think?

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2010
    I think abortion is wrong. You're killing innocent people, sure some may argue that *they're not people yet*, but they will become people. What do you think the world would be like if Jesus was aborted? Or George Washington?

No one has the right to end another beings life.

That's just my .02

Well, what if Jesus was aborted? Nothing would really happen. Sure, we wouldn't have Christianity, but it would just come up in another name with a slightly different belief system, nothing major.

Also, whilst I can agree that abortion is wrong as you are destroying and innocent life, but look at the other side. 1. What if you cant care for the baby? 2. If you got raped/whatever, what if you don't want the baby? There are many good reasons for abortion, and of course, the not so good reasons. Also, if abortion is banned, there will be a lot more dead babies that no one wants, people will say they can abort the baby, they will try it with other things such as metal wire hangers.

So, as it stands now, i'm on the fence about the matter.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I believe that abortions are perfectly fine and that restrictions on abortions should be laxed. I do not believe that the lives of unborn babies have any value. Some people say I'm cruel for thinking that, but I honestly can't see how that's cruel. Without experiences or emotions or even feelings, what value is there to a life?

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2010
    Well, what if Jesus was aborted? Nothing would really happen. Sure, we wouldn't have Christianity, but it would just come up in another name with a slightly different belief system, nothing major.
    Yes, that is so true.

Also, whilst I can agree that abortion is wrong as you are destroying and innocent life, but look at the other side. 1. What if you cant care for the baby?
    Give it away to someone that can? I'm sure there are plenty of things to do, rather than *I can't feed you, now you die*

2. If you got raped/whatever,
    Can't argue with this one. The baby has criminal genetics, yet it's a person... Put the baby in a insitution til they can make sure it's ok?

what if you don't want the baby?
    Not the babies fault it's mom is irresponsible. Don't want it, don't do the deed.

There are many good reasons for abortion, and of course, the not so good reasons. Also, if abortion is banned, there will be a lot more dead babies that no one wants, people will say they can abort the baby, they will try it with other things such as metal wire hangers.
    Sadly the latter is true.

reyzn

Years
    My opinion depends entirely on the situation, I feel that abortion is perfectly okay during:
    1. Instances of rape
    2. If the child would be born into an unsafe environment such as an abusive household, or if the parents do not have the means to properly care/provide for the child.

I feel abortion is wrong in situations where the mother constantly undergoes the procedure because she is ignorant enough not to use protection.

All in all I feel that a woman should have the ability to decide for herself in this matter.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I love abortion debates...especially how they always boil down to whether a mother foolish enough not to use protection deserves sympathy for her foolishness or not. XD

The way I see it, abortion is no different than murder, permissible only in the case of rape or incest. Cases of abusive households and parent unable to finacially support a baby are what Child Protective services and adoption are for.

Abortion as a means of birth control is absolutely deplorable. If you don't want a child, abstain from sexy fun time. If that's too hard for you for whatever reason, at least use protection of some sort. >_<

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    A woman has all the rights to do anything to her body, be it on her body or in her body.

That's all I am going to say.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I don't like these debates. I really don't...I end up getting torn to shreds for what I say. So I will post and move on. And if you have a problem with it, say it to my profile.

First, I don't think Jesus would have been aborted. How would they have done that back then? Would the concept even exist? God gave Jesus to marry. Why would she go against God and have an abortion? How would that even be performed in those times, anyway? Throw that out of the water.

I believe that abortions are perfectly fine and that restrictions on abortions should be laxed. I do not believe that the lives of unborn babies have any value. Some people say I'm cruel for thinking that, but I honestly can't see how that's cruel. Without experiences or emotions or even feelings, what value is there to a life?

The baby has a heart beat. It may not have emotions, but the womb is where life starts. Not even giving it a chance to grow and develop and have emotions isn't a fair chance.

For the rape/incest deal, there are people that can't have children. My friend's aunt can't have children and I know someone whose parents tried for a baby for 2 years before actually conceiving. Adoption is good. I know a lot of people who are adopted and the parents are quite blessed to have them. And I know you're thinking "well, the mom would still remember the rape", but they'd remember the scenario even if they have an abortion, and some would feel even worse because they just took a life.

For the can't afford/don't want thing, use the glove, or don't make love. I can't say it's easy to say no, but even if you're gonna say yes, it'd be wise to use protection, the pill (don't know how that works, to be honest), or

Spoiler:

There are many good reasons for abortion, and of course, the not so good reasons. Also, if abortion is banned, there will be a lot more dead babies that no one wants, people will say they can abort the baby, they will try it with other things such as metal wire hangers.

As much as I hate to say it, it's one of those deals like drugs. Even if abortions were illegal, it'd still be happening somewhere. So the abortion debate is honestly useless. It's gonna happen regardless. Not to mention all the feminists in the world.

Last edited:

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
    A woman has all the rights to do anything to her body, be it on her body or in her body.

That's all I am going to say.
    There's a living being inside her, maybe it's a point to consider?
    So is the vagina the line that separates death possibility from right to live?

If a woman is irresponsible enough to get pregnant without having means to take care of the kid, couldn't she at least take the 9 months and let hers own kid live? Surely the life of a child raising without a family might be tough, but who would rather death?

I'm only on abortion if the child came from a rape.

Well, in other hand, if it's not legal, a woman who is decided to do it will do it anyway, maybe with no safety. It's not so simple to take a side.

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    I think it should be up to the woman herself to choose.

I think because of the number of people wanting to have children but unable to conceive, it would be better overall to give the child up for adoption, but a woman shouldn't have to undergo pregnancy and childbirth against her will.

I would also like to add that I think people should lay off bringing religion into these debates, because feelings will only get hurt and everybody will get irritated and offended. We can have a debate about ethics without badmouthing other people's religions. Ethics can exist independent of religion you know.

Years
    My view: woman's body; woman's choice.

I have a question, and even though I have some ideas and preconceptions on it I want to hear from others first. Anyway, why are people who are against abortion okay with giving a woman a pass if she was raped?

Ayselipera

I'm for abortion. I believe it's the woman's choice.

I also find it really annoying when all the men automatically say abortion is bad and talk about what a horrible thing it is to do. I feel like if men were the ones to get pregnant they'd be running over to the abortion clinic as fast as they could.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Not gonna debate it. I feel that abortion should only be allowed to save the mother. Since this is rare...I doubt many people can get mad at that. Without a doctor who has decided that an abortion would pull the mother out of the jaws of death, there would be no abortion allowed.

Yes, it's harsh but I don't condone banning it because if a licenced medical professional thinks it will be for the best, then it SHOULD be an option. (for example, ultrasound spots an almost 100% lethal defect or a defect that could lead to death quickly after birth, not to mention that it is possible that the mother is sick or injured in a way that severely damages the unborn child so that it would be a vegtable)

Since such cases are extremely rare, it seems like a fair enough solution to a sticky issue

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    My view: woman's body; woman's choice.

I have a question, and even though I have some ideas and preconceptions on it I want to hear from others first. Anyway, why are people who are against abortion okay with giving a woman a pass if she was raped?

I'm not okay with abortions in the case of rape, and neither should anyone else who is pro-life - it's a compromise that shouldn't be made. I'm against it for several reasons.

Firstly, why punish the child for the sins of the father? The child is not to blame. Secondly, the chance of becoming pregnant as a result of being raped is very low (around 1 or 2 in 1000) - heck, many couples trying to conceive have difficultly. While I know this is no consolation to rape victims, to involve them in another violent act may only hurt them more.

"We found this experience is forgotten, replaced by remembering the abortion, because it is what they did." M. Uchtman, Director, Suiciders Anonymous, Report to Cincinnati City Council, Sept. 1, 1981

"In the majority of these cases, the pregnant victim's problems stem more from the trauma of rape than from the pregnancy itself." Mahkorn & Dolan, "Sexual Assault & Pregnancy." In New Perspectives on Human Abortion, University Publishers of Amer., 1981, pp. 182-199 239

As to what factors make it most difficult to continue her pregnancy, the opinions, attitudes, and beliefs of others were most frequently cited; in other words, how her loved ones treated her. Mahkorn, "Pregnancy & Sexual Assault." In Psychological Aspects of Abortion, University Publishers of Amer., 1979, pp. 53-72

Furthermore, if abortions were only allowed in the case of rape, then women would simply lie about being raped. This isn't just me making such accusations.
    Radical feminist guru Gloria Steinem, in a 1985 interview with USA Today said that "to make abortion legal only in cases of rape and incest would force women to lie."

Uh, I think I had another point, and there are many other points I'd like to make (put are general, rather than dealing with rape-related abortions) but I'd like to wrap up this post. Finally, you should all read this book, Why Can't We Love Them Both? It's an incredible book on abortion (all online as well).

I'm for abortion. I believe it's the woman's choice.

I also find it really annoying when all the men automatically say abortion is bad and talk about what a horrible thing it is do. I feel like if men were the ones to get pregnant they'd be running over to the abortion clinic as fast as they could.
    Abortion is bad and is such a horrible thing to do.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    If Jesus had been aborted, countless thousands of Jews throughout history would have been spared from persecution - assuming that the religious people of the day wouldn't have found someone else to worship as their messiah, which now that I think about it, they almost certainly would have.

If Jesus had been aborted, millions would not have been saved!
    We would all rot in hell; there would be no one in heaven.

Years
    And here we go.....

Abortion is bad mmmkay. In all seriousness abortion is both good and bad? (uhh what?) Say if a female does get rapped, and sadly gets pregnant. What if this girl is 14,15,16 etc. Or even older. But right now I am going to focus on the teenagers who sadly end up getting pregnant from rape. They will lose 9+ months of their life if they do choose to keep the baby and put it up for adoption, or just simply raise it. There goes nine months of employment, nine months of education, nine months of basically freedom. Given the choice of to suffer through a pregnancy that will remind them of such a horrifying time in their life, that is one of the few opportunities I say abortion is the right doing. Plus, I do believe that abortion is the most common weapon for the highest genocide in human history......Being China's One Child Policy. Now maybe the numbers are a little extreme, and abortions and even abandoned babies are near impossible to pin point down to just a number.....but all in all like most people here abortion should be used for the right causes.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    "Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of killing unwanted babies, it's just that the idea of letting women make a decision doesn't sit well with me." - Zach Braff

I get my opinions from Zach Braff so that's what I'm going with

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I'm pro-life, even in the case of rape, but I'd like y'all to consider that a woman would have to be incredibly insensitive to come away entirely unscathed from an abortion. The baby (or fetus, if that's your thing) dies, and that's a given. However, developing any sort of attachment to the child leads to knowing the child is going to die and in the cases I've seen, they still feel like it's a mother-child relationship. So yeah, the mom's never really spared from complications.
    It's not just "woman is pregnant- should woman abort, or should woman keep child?"

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Not gonna debate it. I feel that abortion should only be allowed to save the mother. Since this is rare...I doubt many people can get mad at that. Without a doctor who has decided that an abortion would pull the mother out of the jaws of death, there would be no abortion allowed.

Yes, it's harsh but I don't condone banning it because if a licenced medical professional thinks it will be for the best, then it SHOULD be an option. (for example, ultrasound spots an almost 100% lethal defect or a defect that could lead to death quickly after birth, not to mention that it is possible that the mother is sick or injured in a way that severely damages the unborn child so that it would be a vegtable)

Since such cases are extremely rare, it seems like a fair enough solution to a sticky issue

Fun little fact for you. My mother's pregnancy with me was such a case. I was given a slim chance of survival and she was advised to have me aborted.

Granted, my mother is an extremely religious woman, but the point is that even in those instances, there is hope if you're willing to take that gambit.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    I don't really care one way or another. I made it into this world, so it doesn't affect me. Personally, I wouldn't like to abort a child I had "made" but situations vary. If I couldn't support a child, I would just put it up for adoption.

Back