• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

About time for a Tournament?

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    So the activity here is frickin' baaaad. My being rather busy isn't helping much at all either. So I think what we need to do is start getting some events going again. So, I'm considering organizing and throwing a tag tournament.

Both the kind of tournament and the reward are on the table to be discussed right now. As well as the timing and so on. Would you guys be interested and what would you like to see?

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • I've been waiting for you to agree to one of these for ages. Happy to see it coming into play! :D So yes, I am interested.

I've actually been thinking about how something like this would work. We can't do it like we used to when we had massive activity, where each person would battle another, and the losers were kicked out until eventually only one person was left. That's not going to work because we don't have enough active people. What I propose is that we set up a tournament where nobody is kicked out, but rather, every entrant battles every other entrant, and the winner is decided by whoever has the most wins. I think it could be interesting this way because there won't be any really unfair match ups, everybody will battle everybody else. Also, I think there could be some form of handicap or limitations for each individual battle. So, either the theme or restrictions or whatever is decided by someone other than the two facing off, or they are all premade and drawn at random before each battle. Restrictions/themes is a must though, doing freestyle the whole time will get tedious, and also make judging less effective.

Prizes, there really is only emblems... Other things have been brought up in the past, not many feasible, and those that are don't work too well as a prize. Unless someone else has fresh ideas, I don't though.

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • I will delightfully join, but I'll also look as reluctant as I can so I can look like a cool kid. I mean, whatever, seemsprettylameiguess.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Just quietly, with Katie poking around, we pretty much have no choice but to have this tournament.
    Kick it off as soon as possible after we get a few more replies from different members here methinks.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    You act like you aint hun. I'll get this up and running in the next few days, I is crazy busy at the moment but G&P needs this. So any final ideas keep throwin' them down and I'll start pickin' them up homies.

why do i only ever type like this in g&p

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Were the ideas in my first post liked, or are we going regular tournament format?
    alas, katie is not a legend... she's a goddess! *bows*

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I'm just... reading over what moments suggested again. It sounds a bit messy, which is the only issue. That's no fault of his of course, but with the current inactive state of G&P I will probably need to make a sign up thread first, then consider a format which will work with the numbers, and allow for drop outs.

If I could get 8 people, I'd be happy doing a team battle. I don't much like nor trust in individual entrants since everyone is busy with school and things. Meaning that if one person cops out, at least the other half of the team can hopefully be reliable.

This would be elimination based. But alright, here's some options.

Team Tournament [2v2]

Entrants needed: 8+
    How it would work: This would be elimination based, teams would need to be made up of 2 artists each. A tree would be created, and the final battle would remain between the two undefeated teams.
    Timeframe: 2 weeks(?)

Other variations would also be accepted.

Free for All

Entrants Needed: 4+
    How it would work: Each of the entrants would need to battle (meaning 3+ battles each), and the person with the most wins would win the competition.
    Timeframe: 1/2 weeks +

Theme Titans

Entrants Needed: 4+
    How it would work: This would be based on rounds, 1v1 or 2v2 depending on how many we have. Each round would have a theme that must be met, the voting would then be held on each battle. Allowing the winners to progress.
    Timeframe: 1/2 weeks

Set up some suggestions in that format with any other details if you wish. This is kind of a basic set-up for some things we can try. I'm also a little concerned with voting, either I set up a panel, or judge alone, or set up 2 judges; one being me to vote on battles I do not enter, and then another judge to vote on battles I enter. Where we both vote on battles we do not enter. And if we both happen to make it to the final then the community can vote on that. I don't mind stepping out, but the more people the better.

Throw in some ideas, and I'll get a sign up thread tomorrow. And Katie, you're more than welcome to be my right hand woman if I find I need someone to help along. You may have to fight moments though.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Katie, you need to literally fight me, to the death. >:D

But seriously, to the death I'm happy to sit out on setting it up, as long as it gets set up then I'm fine. :D

I'm honestly not fussed with which format gets used, though I'm confused with the team one, Gav. When the teams battle, is it 2 tags vs 2 tags, or 1 tag which is collaborated, or?

I do like the idea of teams, but there are good odds that there will be an unfair advantage to one team if selected randomly. I say we need to see who signs up, and if viable, then consciously choose fair teams. Otherwise there will be demolition of feelings. :(

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
  • psh, Gav, I've always been your right hand woman!

I like the idea of the team format. I do. but I'm just scared that we won't get enough participation with the current state of G&P. so maybe we do the theme battles or free for all (or combine them?) to garner some attention, then maybe we try the team battles.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I'm on my phone atm so I'll just jump in and say teams would be collaborations. If we get enough people. But I know with Katie by my side I can conquer the world as moments makes some videos about it.

My phone decided to start this post with 'I'm on Katie my phone atm'... I hope no one saw that. idek

Back