• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Handicap Battles!

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    Handicap Battles!

Yes, you read it right! A brand new PC GFX tournament pitting the best and the bravest artists against each other in a bloody, messy graphics battle royale! Booya!

...Erhm, yeah. Onto the rules and specs:

Who can join?
    The event's open to all PC members (and new members, of course!) intrepid and imaginative enough to make graphics with the little freedom HB!'s gonna give them. Are you up for it?

Bring it on, CME.
    That's the spirit! All you need to do is say you want in and you're in. Read on, chief.

Tournament Format
    Handicap Battles! will implement the sudden death tournament format where only the winner of a match will advance to the next round. The tournament bracket will be released at least two days before the first round so keep checking this thread.

Rounds and Matches
    A thread will be created by the tournament presider for each match. The participants will be given 48 hours to create, post and edit their entries.

• Should there be an odd number of participants in a round, a pre-round match will be held between the two lowest-seeded participants.
    • Seeding will be based on the total number of votes the participant garnered in all of the previous rounds.

Handicaps
    Aside from the deadline, the tournament presider (aka me) will also place a set of restrictions/"handicaps" on submissions for each round. These restrictions may range anywhere from size limits to a total ban on certain graphics elements.

• To make the game a bit more interesting, some of the handicaps of the previous rounds will be carried over to the new round.
    • There will be no new handicaps in pre-round matches.

Voting
    A 48-hour (2-day) voting period will begin immediately after the deadline. All members can vote, except for the two participants of the match. The tournament presider can only vote in the case of a tie.

Members must post a paragraph of at least three sentences about the entry they're going to vote for, and one sentence of constructive criticism for the other entry. It's a pretty simple format so if a member fails to follow it, he/she will be sent a PM by the Tournament Presider and will be given the rest of the voting period to edit his/her vote. His/her vote will be invalidated if it still isn't of the prescribed format by the end of the voting period. (Sorry, chief.) And no playing favorites!

Grounds for Elimination

• One loss
    • Failure to comply with the handicaps
    • Failure to meet the deadline will result in a forfeit

-----------------------

A list of participants will be needed by the end of this week. That's plenty of time!

That's about it for me. Hope to see you all competing!

List of participants:
    Counterfeit
    Gummy
    Statistics
    Dukey
    Nitrous Oxide
    Chibi Robo
    C:\PC\Ezzo

Last edited:

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    Oooh, looks like this could be fun; Count me in.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Whoop, we has our prefix now. |D
    Go say thank you to Cowrie. |3

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    I suppose I'll do some joinage.
    It'll force me to get back into making tags :/

Nitrous Oxide

Korporate Amerika
    Years
    Add me in here, sounds neat enough.

Although, handicap wouldn't really be my term of choice, as handicaps are meant to help a certain person over another...

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    Actually no, handicaps are meant so that everybody has the same chance, no matter what ability etc.

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    hand⋅i⋅cap [han-dee-kap] Show IPA noun, verb, -capped, -cap⋅ping.
    Use handicap in a Sentence
    –noun
    1. a race or other contest in which certain disadvantages or advantages of weight, distance, time, etc., are placed upon competitors to equalize their chances of winning.

dictionary.com knows all.

Nitrous Oxide

Korporate Amerika
    Years
    hand⋅i⋅cap [han-dee-kap] Show IPA noun, verb, -capped, -cap⋅ping.
    Use handicap in a Sentence
    –noun
    1. a race or other contest in which certain disadvantages or advantages of weight, distance, time, etc., are placed upon competitors to equalize their chances of winning.

dictionary.com knows all.
    Haha, alright. Although usually a handicap is used on a competitor that is at a disadvantage to give them a fair chance with the others.

I dunno, just doesn't seem politically correct... every time I see handicap battle, I think of people in wheel chairs fighting to the death. On a volcano.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Politically correct? is this some sort of immigration debate?

Anyway..I won't be in 'cause I suck.

But it's a great idea CME..And good luck to everyone who does join.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Blahhh, I don't think I'll be joining either. xD;
    I'm pretty much horrendous when it comes to handicaps. :P
    And I'm a lazy arse, but hey. xO

I'm gonna be voting for sure though. >:3
    Count on it~ <3

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    Here's the bracket, kiddos!

Chibi Robo vs Dukey
    Counterfeit vs C:\PC\Ezzo
    Nitrous Oxide vs Statistics

and because we had an odd number of participants, Gummy gets a first round by. keep an eye out for your threads!! good luck to all!

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    Tch Tch. Bad CME!
    Making poor old me go first, I had some better things to on the first days of holidays >:

Back