• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ABP #4] Torterra and Quilava!

Who's your favorite?

• Total voters
Years
  • [ABP #4] Torterra and Quilava!
    VS
    [ABP #4] Torterra and Quilava!

Who's your favorite? Honestly, I'm having trouble deciding.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • Let's see. Torterra is a good Pokemon that Ash had in the series but hasn't used it as much. We have seen it as a Turtwig, it did listen to Ash but would sometimes not listen to his commands(Not as bad as Charizard though) soon it evolved into a Torterra but in my eyes I think Torterra was one of Ash good Pokemon in the Sinnoh region besides his Infernape. I just wished we saw it more often. Quilava is alright but I don't remember much of it being a Cyndaquil back in the day so Torterra would have to be my vote. Now if the Quilava evolved into a Typhlosion and he had used it frequently then I might have changed my mind.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Although I didn't watch DP I am more of a fan of Torterra line then I am Quilava. I am not really a huge fan of either though.

Years
  • I prefer Torterra, I just like the Torterra line a lot more than the Quilava line and I always loved Ash's Turtwig, and seeing it adapt to having slower in-battle movement, I still remember that episode in which Paul's Torterra was teaching it, after it evolved into Grotle.

Lashh

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    I like Torterra and all, but I'm gonna chose Quilava because it's one of Ash's older Pokemon, and how powerful it is, and even as a Cyndaquil, it had some really impressive battles.

Years
  • I chose these Pokemon as starters in Platinum and SoulSilver respectively.

But I love Quilava because it's strong and Dawn also has one in the anime. (LittleHope will be happy if she finds out I vote Quilava)

Aaaaand that's why I voted Quilava.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    I hated DP series since it was a piece of ****,Torterra was the worst Sinnoh pokemon ever and it didn't win any battles at all,besides the fact the Torterra line sucks **** and they are very unpopular pokemon.

I like the Quilava line a whole lot better then the terrible Torterra line,Quilava have prove itself to be powerful even as a Cyndaquil it was really powerful,Quilava proves it don't need to evolve again since it is already strong enough.

I disargee with AshPikastar ,who is really dumb to say Quilava needs to evolve which he don't and Quilava was use a whole lot as a Cyndaquil and prove its self to be really strong,Tortrrea is a pointless weak pokemon but coming from the pointless Sinnoh team who suck at doing battles atleast Torterra does.

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Torterra is mine. I just like the pokemon, and what I have seen of it in the anime (not much) it seems to be a pretty cool pokemon of Ash's.

Years
  • I hated DP series since it was a piece of ****,Torterra was the worst Sinnoh pokemon ever and it didn't win any battles at all,besides the fact the Torterra line sucks **** and they are very unpopular pokemon.

I like the Quilava line a whole lot better then the terrible Torterra line,Quilava have prove itself to be powerful even as a Cyndaquil it was really powerful,Quilava proves it don't need to evolve again since it is already strong enough.

I disargee with AshPikastar ,who is really dumb to say Quilava needs to evolve which he don't and Quilava was use a whole lot as a Cyndaquil and prove its self to be really strong,Tortrrea is a pointless weak pokemon but coming from the pointless Sinnoh team who suck at doing battles atleast Torterra does.

I agree with you cos I voted for Quilava.

Makbets

Cookie Lover
    Years
  • Torterra is incredibly strong Pokemon it was proved when Paul used one, but problem is that Ash's doesn't really know how to use it. Well I mean Torterra vs Drapion, sheesh.. Ash's Torterra doesn't even know Rock or Ground type moves...only Grass and Normal and also Bite which is Dark Type move.

Well Quilava, its one of my fav Pokemon but I think that Torterra could beat it in battle if it would know Earthquake, Rock Slide etc.

Im voting for Torterra. :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2011
    My vote went to Quilava, because Ash didn't know how to use his Torterra. It showed promise as a Grotle when battling Palmer's rhyperior (One of the cooler battles of that series), but then it really started to fizzle after that. I think tough's analysis is a little harsh, but it's hard to deny that Torterra is no Sceptile by any stretch.

Also, Quilava gets bonus points for finally evolving away from the squeeky voiced Cindaquil.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

Poor Torterra hasn't won since evolving from Turtwig, has he? He's had some character to him, which is good. A nice little relationship with Paul's Torterra too. But...

Quilava wins hands down. I actually prefer the pokémon species in general, Ash's Quilava evolved in Gen IV, which was a nice touch, shame Dawn's did the same in Gen V. It has some kick-ass moves, such as Aerial Ace and Eruption too.

Twiggity Twang

Ruler of the Ice Boundary
    Years
  • Quilava gets my vote. I've always been a fan of the Cyndaquil line. And don;t get me wrong, Torterra is great and all, but I don't think it's as right for Ash as Quilava is. He seemed kind of lackluster, and he would always lose, even when he had the type advantage (I.E. Hippowdon and Electivire). Quilava, on the other hand, has been a force to be reckoned with since "Hot Matches!", and he shows no signs of slowing down.

Years
  • I hated DP series since it was a piece of ****,Torterra was the worst Sinnoh pokemon ever and it didn't win any battles at all,besides the fact the Torterra line sucks **** and they are very unpopular pokemon.

It's great that you feel that way, but you don't have to call another member dumb for disagreeing with you. We're all entitled to our own thoughts and opinions.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • Torterra is a much better pokemon but ash had a dud he lost every time it came out of its poke ball. But love torterra to much to vote for someone else

Years
  • Torterra is a much better pokemon but ash had a dud he lost every time it came out of its poke ball. But love torterra to much to vote for someone else
    Honestly, I don't think Torterra was a bad Pokemon. Ash is just a terrible trainer when it comes to defensive Pokemon. I distinctly remember Ash ignoring Torterra's defensive capabilities and ordering him to just charge at Paul's Drapion. This led to Torterra being instantly countered and KOed. Still, he had some good battles as a Grotle.

Another defensive Pokemon of Ash's is Torkoal. Ash actually used Torkoal pretty effectively, but that was only at the end of its run where it actually started to win battles. Regardless, Torkoal had a spectacular battle against Registeel where Ash really utilized Torkoal's abilities. Anyways, in the Sinnoh league Ash also ordered Torkoal, another defensive Pokemon, to immediately attack Darkrai, a powerful legendary. It's like he either forget how to use Torkoal effectively or was severely underestimating Darkrai.

The conclusion? Ash just isn't good with defensive Pokemon.

Last edited:

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • I disargee with AshPikastar ,who is really dumb to say Quilava needs to evolve which he don't and Quilava was use a whole lot as a Cyndaquil and prove its self to be really strong,Tortrrea is a pointless weak pokemon but coming from the pointless Sinnoh team who suck at doing battles atleast Torterra does.

Like mentioned before I haven't seen much of Quilava episodes of it being able to take out a lot of battles. I have mainly seen Torterra. Even though it didn't take out much of the battling, Torterra is pretty strong if Ash knew how to use it well like what Kirbychu had said. It did a really good job as a Grotle and a Turtwig but if Ash knew how to use him then he would have been one of Ash strongest Pokemon. Now seeing Quilava as a Typhlosion would have been very nice to see. Typhlosion also one of my favorite Pokemon and I would have loved to see it more in a battle. The main time I remember seeing Ash use his Cyndaquil was when it evolved into a Quilava and during the Sinnoh league. It had a tie with Nando Pokemon that he used. Pretty good battle there but once again the only time I have remember seeing him using it in a battle. Ash does need to know how to use defense Pokemon. It would be a great addition to his team and would help him out a lot.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011

Like mentioned before I haven't seen much of Quilava episodes of it being able to take out a lot of battles. I have mainly seen Torterra. Even though it didn't take out much of the battling, Torterra is pretty strong if Ash knew how to use it well like what Kirbychu had said. It did a really good job as a Grotle and a Turtwig but if Ash knew how to use him then he would have been one of Ash strongest Pokemon. Now seeing Quilava as a Typhlosion would have been very nice to see. Typhlosion also one of my favorite Pokemon and I would have loved to see it more in a battle. The main time I remember seeing Ash use his Cyndaquil was when it evolved into a Quilava and during the Sinnoh league. It had a tie with Nando Pokemon that he used. Pretty good battle there but once again the only time I have remember seeing him using it in a battle. Ash does need to know how to use defense Pokemon. It would be a great addition to his team and would help him out a lot.
    Torterra is still not that powerful and he was a very weak pokemon on Ash's Sinnoh team Ash barely even used him in that many battles.

Quilava wins this vote due to how many battles it won as a Cyndaquil and Quilava have proven it's self to still be very strong since it tied with a pokemon in battle,Quilava don't need to evolve since it is powerful enough as is.

Back