• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Add/Remove types ??

Would you add or remove a type, or neither ?

• Total voters
Years
  • I think they would have to be very careful when introducing a new type to make sure it doesn't completely kill the balance of the game and also that it isn't a completely trivial type.

I wouldn't approve of a light type but it seems like the most likely to fit in if any.

If it had no effect on the balance then I would gladly remove the bug type and merge the pokemon under that type into the grass type.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    A discussion on types and no mention of the ??? type? Think of the possibilities with the type.

Anyway, I'd just leave the types as it is. Though it WOULD be funny to see if Game Freak will come up with a type that Normal-types would be Super Effective against

Years
  • A discussion on types and no mention of the ??? type? Think of the possibilities with the type.

Anyway, I'd just leave the types as it is. Though it WOULD be funny to see if Game Freak will come up with a type that Normal-types would be Super Effective against

Abnormal type. :D

It could just be some of the normal types twisted slightly.

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2020
    no effect on the balance then I would gladly remove the bug type and merge the pokemon under that type into the grass type.

Bug would be like the last type to be removed, as bugs are the base of the Pokemon idea, and there are lots of Bugs that wouldn't fit the grass type at all.

They would become like a bug corner of the grass type, where the bug corner had bug-based Pokemon and the grass side plant based Pokemon, and paras helplessly in the middle of the conflict, waiting to be brainwashed :P to seal its middle position.

Markus1992

Azura
    Years
  • I've never been a fond user of the normal type, although I do like their appearances... how can we forget about 'Eevee'??? Until recently, I actually used a 'Wigglytuff' and a 'Blissey' in a team. I have never put too much thought into the normal type until reading this thread, and it is only until now i realised that the normal type isn't 'super-effective' against another type. In addition, it doesn't effect the ghost type. However, surely this can be seen in a more positive light. In turn... all but one type, the fighting type, don't have much of an advantage over the normal type. And when it comes to move-sets, i find that the normal type has the most capabilities, which is surely beneficial when opposed by the ghost type.

Anyways...

I would like to have seen new types, such as light, as i think light and dark should come hand in hand. Also, i was looking at some 'fakemon' the other day and noticed the virus type, which was interesting to say the least. :)

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • Virus type in Acanthite Version ?? Anyways, i would say a new type would be interesting, but as Nuke said, if it keeps the balance. An abnormal type would be cool (not that exact name, but the concept of the normal type having an advantage would be cool), maybe an anti matter type :\ I just realized how stupid that would be !!

Echidna

Years
  • hahaha, yeah i think you could say so, lolz, but i guess hating not liking the normal type too much is just me. Other people might love the design, might like the advantages if there were any, or might hate dislike them more than i do !!

Years
  • I would've liked a single extra type in gen 3 or gen 4. But by the time we get to gen 6 it's really too late to add new types. It'd destroy the (sort of) logic/balance that there is at this moment.

The normal type isn't useless really. Their moves may not be super-effective on anything but that doesn't make them useless... Some may not be super strong but really that's not all Pokémon is about. And you can't deny some Normal pokémon are strong anyway.

BUT I wouldn't be surprised if there would be 2 new types added next gen. They're trying to give a gen 1-like feel to gen 5, and there could be a pattern as in gen 6 brings 2 new types just like gen 2 did... but I doubt it will happen.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I wouldn't remove any types, and I wouldn't add any more. I think they're fine the way they are :o

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • There's just one type I think should exist: the Light-type. This would be designed to counter the fact that the Dark-type is super-effective against and immune to Psychic. Light-type would be weak to Poison and Ghost, immune to Dark, super-effective against Dark, and not very effective against Psychic, Light, and Ghost. Its only resistance would be Light itself. The weakness to Poison and Ghost is justified by the fact that they are both associated with death, where Light is associated with life.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • There's just one type I think should exist: the Light-type. This would be designed to counter the fact that the Dark-type is super-effective against and immune to Psychic. Light-type would be weak to Poison and Ghost, immune to Dark, super-effective against Dark, and not very effective against Psychic, Light, and Ghost. Its only resistance would be Light itself. The weakness to Poison and Ghost is justified by the fact that they are both associated with death, where Light is associated with life.
    Thing is I personally don't see it ever happening... especially when given 5th gen's mascots were Zekrom and Reshiram and they represented Ying and Yang, that would have been an arguably good opporunity for them to implement a Light type and hence go with Drak/.light-Dragon type mascots... which didn't happen.

After all, Dark-types are 'countered' by bug and fighting types already as it is to boot, so it's imo not that 'necessary' to have another type put in for the standard and somewhat cliche Light Vs Dark thing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I personally wouldn't remove any because I have favourites in each category and I also feel like they all balance each other out well :)

I wouldn't add any either - a few people have mentioned the "Light" type to counter the Dark type but aside from that I'm not really sure where it would fit in :)

It's a nice idea I just think that, due to the last types being added in Generation II, it would be a bit random having a whole new type at this stage :)

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2011
    Remove type : Normal why?.. normal moves and pokemon cannot do super effective damage...

Add type : reptile(fire,rock,water weakness reptile,bug,draagon,flying super effect)

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2012
    I like the place that pokemon sits with types, but sometimes i like to contemplate on what could be and how the could change.

I think if any type could be added it should be a type that controls time and space factors, like black holes, immense gravity, teleport, meteors, supernova,etc.
    its sounds extremely powerful...so maybe a major legendary thats not a dragon?

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Normal type useless?
    Isn't that why normal types have large movesets?
    Dark and Steel were made because Psychic types were overpowered in Gen. 1. So, since all of the types are already balanced, there is no need to add more types.

Light type? That's like the same as the Electric-type.
    Reptile? Reptile is more of a species; ex. Pachirisu is the EleSquirrel Pokémon.
    Wood? Rock is kinda the same already :/
    Bug and Fighting can counter the dark-type already. Two weaknesses is enough.

If you'd remove the Normal type; how about Chansey? Stantler?
    What type would Tackle be? Fighting? That's....meh. Metronome? Psychic? (that probably fits xDD). Sketch? Grass? :laugh:

Echidna

Years
  • very interesting opinions. Yes power isn't the only thing about pokemon, if they were real. But its a game, a game with the sole purpose of beating every one. Adding types sounds too weird for me. 17 types is 17 types. i think, i've changed my mind about removing the normal type, but i still hate it.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • I'm very pissed because I wrote a 3 paragraph explanation on why Normal-types were good, but PC decided to delete it.

Anyway, Gen I, blah blah blah Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Flamethrower.
    Gen II, generally useless, but good additions with Furret, Ursaring, Smeargle, Miltank, and Blissey.
    Gen III, Linoone, Slaking, Spinda, Castform / Kecleon. Zangoose and Delcatty reflect earlier forms.

Actually? You know what? Screw PC.

Back