• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Advance Generation Question & Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Mudkip is great for the whole game since its evos are pretty bulky and only weak to Grass. My personal favorite is Torchic/Blaziken, since he packs a lot of power. I also found the E4 to be especially easy when using Blaziken, besides the Ghost and Dragon one you can Sky Uppercut your way through them no problem.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
As most have said, Mudkip is the best choice for getting through this game. You will need some plant coverage soon enough, but once you have that covered, you've got most of the game under your thumb. So yes, go with Mudkip. (The others are great, just not AS good when trying to get through the game.)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 20, 2014
For me I Pick Torchic because it has amazing stats and if you think its weak pick mudkip if its cool pick torchic because it doesn't beat the first 1 gym but later it will be powerful because it will evolve into a Flaming Combusken then the amazing Blaziken

Years
Should I teach Blaziken Dynamicpunch?

(Emerald) So I am in Mossdeep city now and that guy on the shore can teach me Dynamicpunch. My current moveset for Blaziken is:

Slash, Bulk up, Double kick and blaze kick

I don't really want to get rid of any of these moves because bulk up makes him beastly in harder battles, double kick usually destroys, blaze kick is his only fire move and slash is for general use and improves with bulk up. Which move should I get rid of?

Or I can teach the move to Raichu or Cacturne but I don't know because STAB won't apply then.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If you are concerned about reliability, I would skip Dynamic Punch. Blaziken learns Sky Uppercut at level 59 (I think), and not only is the accuracy higher, but the PP is too. Brick Break is a good option as well, with better accuracy than Sky Uppercut and it's a TM, so no grinding to level 59. One of these should replace Double Kick. You're getting to a point where it's not getting the job done, I'm sure.

Years
If you are concerned about reliability, I would skip Dynamic Punch. Blaziken learns Sky Uppercut at level 59 (I think), and not only is the accuracy higher, but the PP is too. Brick Break is a good option as well, with better accuracy than Sky Uppercut and it's a TM, so no grinding to level 59. One of these should replace Double Kick. You're getting to a point where it's not getting the job done, I'm sure.

I would really like dynamic punch because I have never really used it before, brick break is only 15 more power than double kick but does break barriers etc. I do like sky uppercut but my blaziken is only level 45 and I just beat the 7th gym so don't have long to go. Is slash really necessary do you guys think?

EDIT: I obtained brick break and replaced double kick for it. Now it's just a case of if I need the extra power of dynamic punch.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Slash isn't necessary, but it is decent coverage against something that Fighting of Fire may not be able to do damage to, or just to quickly KO wild Pokemon if you're grinding. I personally prefer accuracy and reliability over power, so Dynamic Punch is something that I'd only use as novelty or coverage. I really think you should stick with Brick Break over DP, since it's not got a good accuracy and I don't think it's worth the time. If you really wanna try it out, I suggest giving it to a Pokemon that needs a coverage move, like Aggron. Then again, I don't know the rest of your party, so I can't say much for that.

edit: What you could do is save before you teach Blaziken DP then play around with it and see how you like it. If you don't like how it's working for you, just reset and then you won't suffer any loss. If you do like it, you can press on. Or if you wanna try it on other party members, you could test that too.

Last edited:
Years
Slash isn't necessary, but it is decent coverage against something that Fighting of Fire may not be able to do damage to, or just to quickly KO wild Pokemon if you're grinding. I personally prefer accuracy and reliability over power, so Dynamic Punch is something that I'd only use as novelty or coverage. I really think you should stick with Brick Break over DP, since it's not got a good accuracy and I don't think it's worth the time. If you really wanna try it out, I suggest giving it to a Pokemon that needs a coverage move, like Aggron. Then again, I don't know the rest of your party, so I can't say much for that.

Yeah I'm going to stick with what it has now since slash is still taking out trainer's pokemon in one hit without the crit and brick break is a good choice (thanks for pointing that move out I didn't even realise you could obtain it).

In terms of my other pokemon my tentacruel has this:

Sludge bomb, Surf, Dive (temporary) and ice beam.

I don't know what to teach it after dive is no longer needed. I sadly had to lose swagger for dive :/

my cacturne has these moves:

needle arm, faint attack, leech seed and pin missle

I don't know whether to teach it giga drain or solarbeam or any other suggestions?

the rest of my team (raichu, swellow and claydol) have a decent moveset so are okay for now (unless you have good movesets for them), thanks in advance!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's a shame about losing Swagger. I suggest replacing Dive with Toxic. If you don't know where that is, it's in the Fiery Path. You need Strength to reach it. Also a Fire Stone in that area as well!

For Cacturne, I would scrap Pin Missile for Giga Drain. Even though GD has 5 PP in this gen, I think it's better to have a move that regains HP than a move that takes one turn to use, assuming you don't have anyone with Sunny Day. Also, I think Cacturne can learn Dynamic Punch, so if you still want to toy with that, scrap Pin Missile for it. Pin Missile is gonna have to go sooner or later. :P

Years
That's a shame about losing Swagger. I suggest replacing Dive with Toxic. If you don't know where that is, it's in the Fiery Path. You need Strength to reach it. Also a Fire Stone in that area as well!

For Cacturne, I would scrap Pin Missile for Giga Drain. Even though GD has 5 PP in this gen, I think it's better to have a move that regains HP than a move that takes one turn to use, assuming you don't have anyone with Sunny Day. Also, I think Cacturne can learn Dynamic Punch, so if you still want to toy with that, scrap Pin Missile for it. Pin Missile is gonna have to go sooner or later. :P

Yeah I like using toxic on the really strong pokemon, thanks for location :)

I like the sound of gigs drain, plus I have a pp Max and pp ups lying about too :D

Thanks for all the help, looks like I'm sorted.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Stoopid question, but how should I name my Blastoise? Tank or Wartoise?

Blastoise could take hits and strike back even harder, which is basically the definition of tank in terms of competitiveness. So, yes, if I were you, this is what I would go with. xD" It's all up to you though, really.

Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 26, 2015
Ok, I must be missing something. I decided on a Jynx in my FR team and am after either a Modest nature or a Bold nature (its def. sucks afterall) and thought its nature would be random during the in-game trade. So I caught a Poliwhirl, happens to have a Calm nature, and saved before the trade. Yet no matter how many times I try the Jynx always comes out with a Mild nature. When was Jynx's nature set? anyone know?
Thanks in advance

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm not sure, but if you've tried trading a variety of times and still winded up with a mild one, then it must've had a set nature from the get-go. Why don't you try breeding, or just randomly capture Jynx until you actually find the one you're looking for? d:

Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 26, 2015
I'm not sure, but if you've tried trading a variety of times and still winded up with a mild one, then it must've had a set nature from the get-go. Why don't you try breeding, or just randomly capture Jynx until you actually find the one you're looking for? d:

I've never been bothered to breed, too long lol. I did think of hacking in Jynx but I do that too often so I was trying to not this time lol. I'm not too bothered as i'm not battling in comps or anything I just would like to know when it's nature got set. Even it's stats are the same each time, so it's IV's must be set in aswell. Just strange is all lol

Years
Going to start Firered. Who should I pick as my starter?

I'm going to start firered again, but I always choose charmander. Should I choose another starter?

What is your favorite starter and why?

I like charmander even though the first two gyms, kick your butt. lol But after the first two gyms, it is a breeze, but I'm wondering about Squirtle, and what about Bulbasaur? I don't know what those two are capable of. Are they worth it?

I'm not going to play until tonight, so post away. You have 6 hours. LOL

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I really like Bulbasaur, but there's a lot of poison/grass in the game already. Squirtle is ehh for me because its defensive, so my favorite is Charmander. It looks super duper badass and is awesome in-game. So I would go with Charmander, but if you wanna try something new go for Bulbasaur whichever one you want :)

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
My favorite has always been Charmander as well, but ive picked squirtle a few times and had a good time as well! He's more defensive than the other choices, but that means he can tank a hit and lash back with some good moves like surf or ice beam! Id give it a try if you feel like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back