• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Aegislash Suspect Test

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Sand offense is actually really common because Smooth Rock Tar/Hippo + Rush Excadrill is really tough to beat. Exca was banned in BW for a reason and it's really tough to check for offense. Thundurus can't paralyze it and it outspeeds pretty much everything, so you have to resort to Aqua Jet Azumarill, a Mach Punch user like Conk or Breloom, or Bisharp I guess because it resists other priority (Talon BB, Bullet Punch, ExtremeSpeed, etc.) and very few good offensive pokes check it. Rotom-W and Landorus-T can check it but get worn down easily. So yeah, Excadrill and sand offense are both common and very good.

Years
    Whats this concept of tiers? Im new to the online communtiy of pokemon.

I apologize if i've missed the point ive no idea what ubers are or what the Pokemon communitys definition of a 'counter-pokemon' is, however im getting the idea you need pokemon to effectively knock Aegislash down swiftly?

I admire Aegisalsh and have one. He gets countered pretty easily, here are some examples:
    Mega Bannette - Phantom Forced/Shadow Sneaked
    ohkoed on the switch, unviable.
    Honchkrow -Sucker Punched/Paybacked
    doesnt see much use in ou, ♥♥♥♥ defenses.
    Zoroark -Focus sash/Flamethrower
    lol?
    Garchomp -Earthquaked
    2hkoed, aegi can tank an eq o_o
    Mega Blaziken -Ugh i hate these so much...
    isnt this ou discussion?
    Mega Aggron -Earthquake hack away.
    unviable, probs takes a ♥♥♥♥ton from shadow ball on the switch
    Weavile -Swords Dance baited/Then Night Slash Or Substitute
    unviable, dies to a sneeze
    Chandelure -Spammed with never-ending flamethrowers. especially lethal if given focus sash, like i've witnessed so many times...
    cant switch in
    Haxourus - Dragon Dance/ Earthquaked
    unviable imo, probs 2hkoed on the switch
    Magnezone -Sturdy/Spammed with Discharge plus toxic proof.
    aegi has what reason to stay in? also probs 2hkoed on the switch

yea balloon exca is sand is a ♥♥♥♥♥ to take down cuz iron head can flinch everything to death if necessary, non-knock off glisc cant do ♥♥♥♥, it can check lando-t and 2hko back i think, its really ♥♥♥♥ing great. sand offense is definitely not dead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor_Jared

Mr. Fish trainer
    Years
    I tend to think of Aegislash as a Mind games Pokemon especially with Stance Change, to outplay it you have to use it in a way that outdoes the opposing opponent.

With that said, I don't really think that Aegislash is all that broken, I mean yeah sure it has a lot of viable and versatile movesets, but keep in mind it also has 4 move slots like all Pokemon do.

So in that respect, you can only equip it with so many coverage moves at a time, and let's not forget about EV spread changes and the risk of Aegislash dying in one shot when it stance changes into blade form. With Aegislash you're basically playing a game of strategical risk with your opponent, and if you make one wrong move Aegislash goes down.

So in other words, I get why Smogon suspected and banned Aegislash, however, at the same time I also think that Aegislash was beneficial to the OU metagame because it made players think more about the strategical and tactical risks of thinking before you leap (ie: Switching from Attack to Defense and Vice Versa), because every move the player made with it presented various consequences afterwards, whether positive or negative in nature.

Last edited:

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    aegi has what reason to stay in? also probs 2hkoed on the switch

We could go on debating about this forever, but they were just examples of pokemon that can wreck
    Aegislash on a 1v1, if theyre used correctly. None were to be switched in, although you can do it with some of them. But Nonetheless not a big deal :)

Back