• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Aegislash...

Do you believe Aegislash is OP?

• No

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Minorly OP

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Super OP. Should be banned!

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • More than Minorly OP but less than Super OP

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2014
    I don't know about you all but in my opinion, Aegislash seems to be a little OP. The only thing that really bugs me about him is how his stance change occurs right before his turn. With his speed being so low his stats are pretty much 60/150/150/150/150/60 because King's Shield will transform him back with its priority. Fact/Opinions?

NRG

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2015
    You need something that will counter it

Sabeleye with prankster is a good choice.

I have lots of success countering it with a Rhyperior (physical sweep), or charizard y (special sweep)

Years
  • I think Aegislash should stay in OU as is. Aegislash is powerful, but Pokemon carrying common attacking moves like Earthquake and any special Fire/Dark moves can down it without too much problems.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    What stinks is that you are pretty much relegated to one strategy only. I loved Honedge/Doublade and No Guard in contrast, you could do a lot with them.

I like Aegislash, don't get me wrong, it's just knowing that he's only got one "right" way to use him is kinda lame.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2015
    On my second playthrough of Y, it was the only pokemon in the Elite Four to damage me. I one hit killed every other pokemon except him. Yveltal has a move that I can't remember, but it goes through the shield.

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
    Years
  • Get a Pokemon with Infiltrator. Just evolve an Espurr and Aegislash doesn't stand a chance. Pretty simple. It can't take on something like Tyranitar, Garchomp, Gliscor, Charizard, Dugtrio, etc...

Years
  • He is a good pokemon but he isn't hard to counter he is far from the point of being banned. Don't let him set up (like all set up sweepers) and he can't do anything.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • Aesgislash is useless in doubles matches, king's shield loses half of it's value in such. I don't even hesitate when I see one, most of my team have at least one move that targets all opponents in a doubles match.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    1. Try using pokemon with Earthquake and high defenses.

2. Malamar with Contrary can Night Slash it for days.

3. Bisharp with Defiant can beat it with some prediction.

4. Slower pokemon with Substitute can beat Aegislash in some situations.

This is just some tips do you don't get overwhelmed when you see one.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't think Aegislash is overpowered. It's got one-fifty base offensive stats, which are okay. Everything else is just… poor. ): I've used this Pokémon in one of my online matches, and it's got taken out before it was able to do anything. If it had more Speed, maybe, and a few extra defenses, perhaps then we could've considered banning it. By the way, I'm moving this topic over to Battle Center, as it's related to competitive battling.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Aegislash takes hits easily while dishing out its own world of hurt, but it can be played around somewhat easily. If a Pursuit user like Scizor or Tyranitar comes in while Aegislash is in Blade Forme, assuming that Aegislash doesn't use Speed EVs to hit them hard, either one can hit it hard or KO it with Pursuit as it leaves battle.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    He's good, but he isn't that good. When he changes stances from Shield to Blade, you see a major decrease in Defence, and that can be exploited. Sure, the King's Shield is annoying, but look at the downsides. Due to the dramatic drop in Def. and Sp. Def., he's toast against Mega Charizard Y.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • I've found that Aegislash just lets you set up for the KO. As stated previously, it is pretty easy to predict and play around so getting a Dragon Dance off or swords dance off is not all that impossible. It is easily wrecked by Will-o-wisp, as kings shield does not prevent it from burning it and crippling it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    aegislash is seriously overhyped, hence my signature :p no doubt its powerful in blade forme, with dual 150 offences, it is a major powerhouse. but it can be easily played around with as well, and the ever dominant earthquake is more than able to take out the royal sword pokemon

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • Like pretty much everyone else said, Aegislash is good, but definitely not super OP. Most of the people who cry ban on Aegi are people who get 6-0ed by it on Wi-fi (not unlike a certain marsupial Pokemon that people also exagerate about). Really, if you get 6-0ed by anything, then it might actually be your fault and not Aegislash's. Noteworthy Pokemon that can counter/check Aegi include Talonflame, Sableye, Gliscor, Diggersby, Shadow Ball Togekiss and strong Earthquake users. All of these Pokemon are also useful for other things, so it's not like you're wasting a team slot either.
    Also, for fellow Aegislash users, I strongly advise not wasting a move slot on King's Shield. It is much less useful now that most people have caught up to it and found ways to take advantage of it. Instead, you could give it an extra coverage move to surprise people who think you're going to use King's Shield.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Perdition Haze said:
    I've used this Pokémon in one of my online matches, and it's got taken out before it was able to do anything. If it had more Speed, maybe, and a few extra defenses, perhaps then we could've considered banning it.

The whole strategy actually revolves around having low Speed (Brave Nature and no EVs in it) and King's Shield, which has priority +4.

How it works is King's Shield will always go first, you negate their attack with it, and are in Shield Forme (with obnoxiously high defence). Swords Dance doesn't shift form so you can set up safely, and your low speed makes you go second on the next turn. You then hit with something strong like Shadow Claw/Sacred Sword/Iron Head (switching you into Blade Forme with its high attack).

Use King's Shield again after that to make sure you change back, rinse and repeat. Leftovers is good for keeping your HP up. It's a frustrating strategy to encounter but unfortunately too predictable and it's kind of boring having a Pokemon which you can only use in one way.

Also, for fellow Aegislash users, I strongly advise not wasting a move slot on King's Shield. It is much less useful now that most people have caught up to it and found ways to take advantage of it. Instead, you could give it an extra coverage move to surprise people who think you're going to use King's Shield.

If you're going to use Aegislash at all though, King's Shield is the only move that switches it back into Shield Forme. If you're not going to take advantage of that, you have a Pokemon with a useless ability that can be OHKO'd by any decent move, more or less.

It's a waste of a slot without King's Shield.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • If you're going to use Aegislash at all though, King's Shield is the only move that switches it back into Shield Forme. If you're not going to take advantage of that, you have a Pokemon with a useless ability that can be OHKO'd by any decent move, more or less.

It's a waste of a slot without King's Shield.
    Okay, I kinda see where you're going with this. If you're playing Aegislash defensively, then King's Shield could be useful to change back into shield form after every attack. Low speed IVs and a speed reducing nature makes you go last almost every time (so you take the opponents attack while in shield form) and Leftovers slowly heals any damage taken. I personally prefer the hyper-offensive route, which is to set up as many Swords dances as my opponent will let me and then spam Shadow Sneak to death (sure, eventually Aegi will faint, but not before taking out half of the opponent's Pokemon). I guess it just didn't occur to me that some people prefer to play it safe. Still, using King's Shield can give your opponent a free turn to raise its own stats and cause massive damage to Aegi, even in shield form.
    edit: switching in and out also changes you back to shield form.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Okay, I kinda see where you're going with this. If you're playing Aegislash defensively, then King's Shield could be useful to change back into shield form after every attack. Low speed IVs and a speed reducing nature makes you go last almost every time (so you take the opponents attack while in shield form) and Leftovers slowly heals any damage taken. I personally prefer the hyper-offensive route, which is to set up as many Swords dances as my opponent will let me and then spam Shadow Sneak to death (sure, eventually Aegi will faint, but not before taking out half of the opponent's Pokemon). I guess it just didn't occur to me that some people prefer to play it safe. Still, using King's Shield can give your opponent a free turn to raise its own stats and cause massive damage to Aegi, even in shield form.
    edit: switching in and out also changes you back to shield form.

Exactly, I actually thought this was the generally accepted way to play Aegislash? His base speed is too low for that massive attack to be put to use without switching formes, imo, and shadow sneak would require too much set up to be OHKO'ing anyone (if even).

And oh thanks for that clarification, I forgot switching resets his forme.

Bidoof FTW23232

Bidoof FTW/Golgari's Alt
    Years
  • I really prefer to have some sort or Aegi counter on my team, simply because its typing is so good and can usually do damage to my favorite mons to play with. But it is no way OP, in fact, it is so easy to take down and prob the most predictable mon running the same set almost everywhere. (SD, king's shield, iron head, shadow sneak)

Back