• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alakazam or Gardevoir?

Alakazam or Gardevoir?

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    I do like Gallade. But Gardevoir I don't really like. Alakazam has been a great Psychic Pokemon since Generation 1, and I would prefer it over Gardevoir.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2012
    I like Alakazam because it was the original 150 and I hate Gardevoir

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    For competitive battling I like using Alakazam. I only like Gardevoir because its pretty. [:

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
    Years
    Gardevoir.
    I'm gonna be honest, Gardevoir's looks draw me over and yet my 2nd fav Pokemon, and most fav Psychic type. :P

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I haven't used either heavily, but I'd prefer Alakazam's Speed and Special Attack. Gardevoir might have the higher defenses, but it's still not high enough to offset 'Zam's greater offensive capability.

It's actually a tougher call in 4th gen and beyond since the elemental punches go from Special to Physical, but in return Shadow Ball becomes Special and it gains Focus Blast, so I'm sticking with Alakazam.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    While Alakazam does have the Speed and Special Attack advantage, he lacks especially in Defenses, therefore I'd have to go with Gardevoir since it's an overall well-rounded Pokémon in comparison.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
    Pros on Alakazam: He just looks so awesome. He has that long 'stache, and those two spoons....he's just the cats.
    And he has a beastly special attack, with great speed to go along with it. In the games, he's used by one of the coolest gym leaders--Sabrina

Cons on Alakazam: He has poor defenses, and if a Pokemon tank with high Sp. Def appears, he's a goner. Easily. You have to trade him to make him evolve, which is a hassle or even an impossibility for some people. He's slow to level up, and it takes him forever to learn another move besides Teleport (unless you have a TM)

Pros on Gardevoir: IT has a graceful design, and nice coloring. It looks feminine (although it can be a boy too, but meh). Its defenses are better than Alakazam's, and it doesn't need to be traded so that it can evolve. It also doesn't have a bad Special Attack, at all. It can learn lots of good attacks. It's a solid Pokemon.

Cons on Gardevoir: It looks like a girl, no matter what. It takes forever to level, especially since it has the same Teleport problem that Alakazam has. It's not as fast as Alakazam, so it may be at a disadvantage in that way some of the time.

So...after weighing these things, it's actually pretty close. So, I'm gonna have to throw in a little extra. Back in Generation 1, almost nothing could take out a good psychic type, and Alakazam was at the top of the list. (2nd only to Mewtwo, really) Gardevoir wasn't introduced until Gen. 3, and by then the power of the psychic type had diminished very greatly. This means that Gardevoir is by no means the powerhouse it could have been if it had been introduced back then. So, because of his awesomeness back in the day, I'm going to have to vote Alakazam by a very slim margin.

DeeJay

Mr. Excitement
    Years
    I almost always get an Alakazam on my team as soon as possible when I start a game. I love the speed and huge Sp. Atk stat. It can also learn good movesets to counter just about anything. It usually becomes my main workhorse.

Plus it weirds me out that Gardevoir isn't also a grass type...I see a green leaf, dang it!

GALLADE, on the other hand, is rockin. A psychic with a good Atk. stat and Leaf Blade. Brings a tear to my eye *sniff*

Last edited:

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
    Alakazam for a bit more offense/Gardevoir for a bit more defense. Either way, both of these Pokemon are two of the best psychic types in the game and they can both be extremely dangerous after a calm mind or two.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I really love the design for both Pokémon, though both have their disadvantages when it comes to one looking too feminine and one looking too masculine and causing confusion when it comes to genders XD. I know they both have their own pros and cons but for the simple fact that I grew up with the original 150 pokémon I have to choose Alakazam. I used to always use one in my team for all my games until recently. I think despite the defense, overall Alakazam is still a powerful pokémon and can hold its own. Gardevoir is pretty, but I haven't had much of a chance to use one in my team yet either, so maybe that's partially why my love for Alakazam sways this vote too.

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
    Years
    Neither. Never mind utility, I only really love one psychic mon, and that's Bronzong (giant psychic bell, how is that not awesome?).

Plus, Gardevoir is too wispy for my tastes, and while I do actually like Alakazam a lot, because it's an old classic, the annoyance from trading to get it is too much for me.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I don't really like either of them a whole lot. I guess if I had to train one, I'd probably prefer to train a Gardevoir. I think both of them are a bit overrated though. D:

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    I've always had Alakazam on my team since then, never used Gardevoir, so I'd go with Alakazam.

zekes

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    I chose Alakazam because he's powerful than Gardevoir.

Back