• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alola Forms

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
    It doesn't help him adapt. He just grows taller because there is more sun light.

Desert palm trees are short and stocky, tropical palm trees are stupid tall. That's why it makes sense for Alolan Exeggutor to be super tall and skinny.

On a tropical coast, monsoons and tidal waves would cause damage to smaller foliage. That is why tropical palm trees adapted the way they did. Alolan Exeggutor is just following real life tropical plant adaption. It has very little to do with sunlight and much more to do with coastal weather.

Although it's totally possible that the Pokemon designers did not think that far and were simply designing it tall because tropical palm trees are tall. Both are fine.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Alola Forms

Alola Forms

Two really quick doodles I just done that I think help visualize what I think the fighting Doduo line will look like as that's the Alolan form line I'm looking forward to most.

Years
    I really think that all the Kanto pokemon will receive Alola forms, for the 20th anniversary. I hope so, anyway! Loving them all so far.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I dunno. I don't particularly feel comfortable with this idea. Like, I get that it's the 20th anniversary and all, but I feel that should mean that Pokemon from more generations should get Alola forms, y'know? I wouldn't even be upset if there were some Sinnoh Pokemon that randomly got them, really.

Shellos/Gastrodon wouldn't feel too random to me since they already have a "regional" form difference going for them. And Finneon/Lumineon could change to look more colorful and tropical--they really deserve something to make them stand out, since they're truly among the most forgotten Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Alolan Meowth is just... a more boring Purrloin.
    We already have one and a half dark type cats, executed better in their design.
    Kind of a wasted opportunity there.

I'm holding out hope for Persian's design to be a lot more visually impressive. I guess at the very least we can say that Meowth (thus far) is the first Gen I Dark-Type Pokemon outside of Mega Evolution.

Years
    I dunno. I don't particularly feel comfortable with this idea. Like, I get that it's the 20th anniversary and all, but I feel that should mean that Pokemon from more generations should get Alola forms, y'know? I wouldn't even be upset if there were some Sinnoh Pokemon that randomly got them, really.

Well, you need to remember that there is connectivity with Red, Blue, and Yellow on the virtual console through Pokemon Bank. That's also why I believe that only Kanto Pokemon will get Alola forms.

I like the idea, but I may be wrong. I'd rather one generation get Alola forms than a mix of all of them like how it is with Mega Evolution. It's kind of a mess that way.

I am surprised however that stage one Pokemon like Meowth are getting Alola forms too.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
    Well, you need to remember that there is connectivity with Red, Blue, and Yellow on the virtual console through Pokemon Bank. That's also why I believe that only Kanto Pokemon will get Alola forms.

I like the idea, but I may be wrong. I'd rather one generation get Alola forms than a mix of all of them like how it is with Mega Evolution. It's kind of a mess that way.

I am surprised however that stage one Pokemon like Meowth are getting Alola forms too.
    I don't think it would make sense that only one generation (a classification that only mates sense out of game, not in-universe) would get Mega evolutions. I'm leaning the same way with Alolan forms, though that at least makes some more sense that it would be totally regional. Pokemon moving from Kanto to Alola and evolving. However, Generation 1 Pokemon come from all over, not just Kanto, and Generation 2-5 will be appearing in Alola too, so what's to stop a couple of them from adapting to Alola in the same way?

Perhaps you forget that Alolan Sandshrew and Alolan Vulpix came far before Alolan Meowth, so they've already set the precedent? Or was that just an example and you find Alolan Sandshrew and Alolan Vulpix just as strange as Alolan Meowth?

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2016
    I believe the ss.anne is going to be part of this on one of the leaks it mentioned it would be part of the game so i think they will work in into the story like it brought in a few kanto pokemon and they adapted to the islands.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I am predicting that we will be getting an Alolan Hypno that is part Poison type.

Why? The Team Skull used poison types in the trailer, but then had a Drowzee. So maybe the reason that had it because it becomes part poison type.

blue

gucci
    Years
    "Raichu has electric sacs on its cheeks, and rubbing them causes a sweet aroma to be released. The mechanism behind this is not clear, but it's thought to be connected to the psychic power that Alolan Raichu possess."

I guess that partially explains where Raichu gets its Psychic typing from then?

Years
    I'm a bit torn on the new Raichu. It makes sense to have it be part Psychic so that it can float on its tail-board wherever, but an Electric/Water Raichu surfer would have been really great to see as well.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
    "Raichu has electric sacs on its cheeks, and rubbing them causes a sweet aroma to be released. The mechanism behind this is not clear, but it's thought to be connected to the psychic power that Alolan Raichu possess."

I guess that partially explains where Raichu gets its Psychic typing from then?

I don't see how aromas in its cheeks are connected to psychic abilities, to be honest. The only psychic display we've seen it use thus far (visual and text combined) is levitation: it brings its lightning-bolt tail underneath its feet when it does so, like a surfboard - surfing on nothing but air.

Oh, as a sidenote, looks like Raichu surfing on its own tail was foretold in Pokemon Stadium 2! Skip to 41 seconds.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    Okay, Alola forms seem to be isolated to generation 1 Pokemon, probably because players can easily transfer Kanto forms via Pokebank and 20th anniversary. I can confirm that Pikachu, Cubone, Exeggcute, and the Zubat line don't have Alola forms.

So here are some Pokemon I think could get Alola forms:
    • Butterfree (Probably a Bug/Psychic type)
    • Rattata & Raticate (Dark type is the only possibility I can see)
    • Arbok (Dragon/Poison type would be boss)
    • Vileplume
    • Tentacool & Tentacruel (Water/Psychic seems like a good alternative)
    • Farfetch'd (Flying/Grass maybe)
    • Dodrio (Flying/Fighting)
    • Onix (just to make that crystal Onix from the anime canon)
    • Jynx (Dark/Ice I suppose)

That would the Alola forms up to 20 (assuming Persian has one as well). That seems like a reasonable cap. They don't want to have to many of these to overshadow the new Pokemon.

Back