• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: [Alpha] (MEH) Map Editor of Happiness

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
  • Well that's disappointing I was eager to use it when it has a stable release. The features are promising. I hope someone picks it up in the future since its open source

If there's anyone who is a programmer, I'm sure they could make commits to MEH. I'm sure someone will one day pick it up in the future and make even more improvements to it.

That's why I'm trying to learn the programming languages, so far I've learned some C#, but I'm yet to learn about Java and C++.

Criminon

Forever Spriting
    Years
  • This is absolutely fantastic. I can't wait for it to be finished!

Some quality of life things I would like to see:

NPC Notes. Places to put information that just save client side, things like previous scripts the npc might have had before you need to test something, just notes you can set yourself.

Zoom. I know this one was specified earlier, but I'm so sick of squinting, haha.

Adding new map titles to header. (if this is possible?) Instead of replacing names.

Reintroduction of map editor.

Making adding flight paths easy and straight from the program.

Deleting maps (is this a thing in AM?)

Organizing maps on the maplist.

This is all I can think of at the moment.

Edit: lol should have read the end thing here.

Years
  • Wow, I've tested it out and it seems great! Only problem is, it never saves for me. I try the save option, save map, can anyone help?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Wow, I've tested it out and it seems great! Only problem is, it never saves for me. I try the save option, save map, can anyone help?

It's in alpha, its expected to have problems. Chances are it won't be updated anytime soon either, so I'd recommend just sticking to Advance Map.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    I'm having a slight issue with the triple layer tile function. I managed to get it to work a year or so back. However I've recently got back into ROM hacking and I've tried it on a new map and every time it sets the top layer to that of block 224 in VBA even though it shows up fine in MEH.

I've used advancemap 1.95 tileset insert function to insert a new main tileset and the tile I'm referencing for the block is in that tileset if that helps.

EDIT: So I've tested it one another new map (same ROM) which hasn't had a new tileset inserted and it works absolutely fine. I wonder why it plays up with A-Maps new main tileset

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2017
    How do you set a script editor? Or edit trainers' Pokemon? Sorry, I'm new to this, and I can't find anywhere where it says.

(Also, I don't know why people have said this hasn't been updated at all. The last update according to the timestamp on my download says January 17. Not too long ago, at least compared to some tools out there.)

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    How do you set a script editor? Or edit trainers' Pokemon? Sorry, I'm new to this, and I can't find anywhere where it says.

(Also, I don't know why people have said this hasn't been updated at all. The last update according to the timestamp on my download says January 17. Not too long ago, at least compared to some tools out there.)
    You'll need a trainer editor to change trainer Pokemon. Script editor is probably in options somewhere.

It's different when it's an alpha in active development. Those tools aren't updated because they're complete, there's no need.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2017
    You'll need a trainer editor to change trainer Pokemon. Script editor is probably in options somewhere.

It's different when it's an alpha in active development. Those tools aren't updated because they're complete, there's no need.

There doesn't seem to be an options menu- clicking Settings -> Preferences does nothing.

So what should I use for a trainer editor? Gen 3 Suite and MEH don't cut it, and A-Trainer refuses to work with Wine... are there any other options?

Also, is anyone coming across a problem where they can't save? I tried completely changing the wild Pokemon you encounter in Viridian forest just to test, and it didn't take no matter how I saved- and reloading the file reset my changes.

(Yes, I realize those tools don't need to be updated, but there were people saying that this tool hasn't updated in a while and would likely not be updated again for a long time, which doesn't make much sense)

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    There doesn't seem to be an options menu- clicking Settings -> Preferences does nothing.

So what should I use for a trainer editor? Gen 3 Suite and MEH don't cut it, and A-Trainer refuses to work with Wine... are there any other options?

Also, is anyone coming across a problem where they can't save? I tried completely changing the wild Pokemon you encounter in Viridian forest just to test, and it didn't take no matter how I saved- and reloading the file reset my changes.

(Yes, I realize those tools don't need to be updated, but there were people saying that this tool hasn't updated in a while and would likely not be updated again for a long time, which doesn't make much sense)
    I just checked and you should actually get a prompt to choose one when you try to open a script.

G3T has a nice trainer editor, Unnamed Trainer Editor is also an option.

I'll direct you to this link someone else posted: https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/MEH/graphs/contributors
    It hasn't been actively worked on for ~1 year. Like I've said before this tool is unfinished. There's no reason at all to use it over advance map, at least not until it gets updated (if it does). Expect bugs if you do.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2017
    All right, fair enough.

When I try to open a script, it spits out the message "It seems that your script editor has gone missing. Look around for it and try again. I'm sure it'll work eventually." with no such prompt for selection coming up.

I'll check out G3T and Unnamed Trainer Editor. Just to make it slightly easier to search, what does G3T stand for? Gen 3 Trainers?

The issue with using Advance Map over this is that in Advance Map, I definitely can't set a script editor. I have to open Advance Map in Wine. None of my editor programs are for Windows, and even if I downloaded and set an editor program it wouldn't be able to run externally like Advance Map wants.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    All right, fair enough.

When I try to open a script, it spits out the message "It seems that your script editor has gone missing. Look around for it and try again. I'm sure it'll work eventually." with no such prompt for selection coming up.

I'll check out G3T and Unnamed Trainer Editor. Just to make it slightly easier to search, what does G3T stand for? Gen 3 Trainers?

The issue with using Advance Map over this is that in Advance Map, I definitely can't set a script editor. I have to open Advance Map in Wine. None of my editor programs are for Windows, and even if I downloaded and set an editor program it wouldn't be able to run externally like Advance Map wants.

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-a2e0e85c30b3d9088d92f55bf8c783ebfefa7ce4

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2017
    I'll try that out then.

Both G3T and Unnamed Trainer Editor refuse to work in Wine. Anyone have any more suggestions?

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I'll try that out then.

Both G3T and Unnamed Trainer Editor refuse to work in Wine. Anyone have any more suggestions?
    First of all, I saw your problem with Advance Map + script editor, and I can tell you that Advance Map + PKSV works fine with wine. So does Unnamed Trainer Editor. Not sure about G3T. What type of computer do you have and what version of wine are you using?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2017
    First of all, I saw your problem with Advance Map + script editor, and I can tell you that Advance Map + PKSV works fine with wine. So does Unnamed Trainer Editor. Not sure about G3T. What type of computer do you have and what version of wine are you using?

Well PKSV didn't really work with Advance Map either. It says I set the program correctly, but trying to open a script gives me a "file not found" error.

My computer is a mid 2010 Macbook Pro, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB card, OS X 10.9.5, and I have Wine Version 1.4.1.6.

A-Trainer, G3T, and Unnamed Trainer Editor all have the same issue- they open and then quit with no error message. I set up the log, but it tells me nothing. Occasionally they open, then close, then open again, then crash. Sometimes they ask me if I want to check for updates automatically before crashing. This happens no matter how I create the prefix- either with the rest of the folder contents or without. Unless there's some winetrick I should be using...

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Well PKSV didn't really work with Advance Map either. It says I set the program correctly, but trying to open a script gives me a "file not found" error.

My computer is a mid 2010 Macbook Pro, 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB card, OS X 10.9.5, and I have Wine Version 1.4.1.6.

A-Trainer, G3T, and Unnamed Trainer Editor all have the same issue- they open and then quit with no error message. I set up the log, but it tells me nothing. Occasionally they open, then close, then open again, then crash. Sometimes they ask me if I want to check for updates automatically before crashing. This happens no matter how I create the prefix- either with the rest of the folder contents or without. Unless there's some winetrick I should be using...
    Hmm :/ I also have 10.9.5, and your core/memory etc is actually higher than mine. I didn't use any winetricks. Try this: instead of opening the OS X application you created, see if you can double click the exe and "Run directly in."

Anyways, this is obviously the wrong thread for this discussion, so if that doesn't work, you should post in beginner's lounge or message.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2017
    Hmm :/ I also have 10.9.5, and your core/memory etc is actually higher than mine. I didn't use any winetricks. Try this: instead of opening the OS X application you created, see if you can double click the exe and "Run directly in."

Anyways, this is obviously the wrong thread for this discussion, so if that doesn't work, you should post in beginner's lounge or message.

XCode opens, but the program doesn't.
    Let's continue this conversation in PM.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • Right now, MEH is meh. A-Map is much better, even if it "sucks". MEH is ambitious but not really effective right now. Don't bother until an updated, more stable version is established.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2017
    Right now, MEH is meh. A-Map is much better, even if it "sucks". MEH is ambitious but not really effective right now. Don't bother until an updated, more stable version is established.

A-Map doesn't SUCK per se (although the visuals leave a little to be desired but that's besides the point). In fact, it was one of the easiest applications I've ever set up with wine, and it was pretty effective in at least changing mon spawn rates. My problem is that Advance Map and its counterparts, like many older applications, are unfortunately built in what I assume is some sort of Windows Binary, when a language like Java or Python would not only be much easier to port, but in my opinion easier to program in as well. And I get it, languages like those weren't popular back in the day, and depending on the age, some of them might not have even existed. But with the waxing and waning of hacking popularity, and how people's OS tastes have been changing over time, you'd think there would be a bunch of new, stable, universally compatible tools by now, instead of, y'know, one.

Back