• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Am I drunk or are there two of you right now?

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
    Random question that popped into my head after studying for science exams:

Assume that somehow - magically, scientifically, or otherwise, it doesn't really matter - you got divided into two separate people. Both people are made up of matter from the original; nothing got left out. Is the original person dead, or would you say they're still alive in a way? I suppose you could look at it from both a technical and moral standpoint, so to speak.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    As in, even if my other had every bone, muscle, fiber, and sinew that I possess, along with my brain and any other function; would they technically be considered "alive"? Because I have a hard time seeing how they wouldn't, considering we have biological twins. Even different particles, which can exist at two places at once. My second self would be, and certainly feel, as alive as any other person.

Or am I totally answering this wrong idk it's late.

Years
    Random question that popped into my head after studying for science exams:

Assume that somehow - magically, scientifically, or otherwise, it doesn't really matter - you got divided into two separate people. Both people are made up of matter from the original; nothing got left out. Is the original person dead, or would you say they're still alive in a way? I suppose you could look at it from both a technical and moral standpoint, so to speak.

Both people (comprised from myself) would be half my size.
    Because in order to divide the matter composing myself, the devised halves would have to be able to equate a whole one of me, when as a whole.
    . . . They would equally be vegetables, I assume. Neither would be 'living' (Morally), but both may be alive (technically), for a short time.
    This is an interesting hypothetical situation to consider.

Xilfer

Just won't die.
    Years
    True, the question can be looked at in a number of ways. Myself, I find it more interesting to look at it from a not-so-logical standpoint. Meaning, the two halves, while they would probably be half the original's size, would still be functioning human beings. Somehow. It's magic IDK! The question is not whether these two mini-mes are alive, but whether the original being that they were divided from still is.

Though it's interesting to see how others interpret and answer it as well. :3

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I don't see where morality comes into this...

Discerning the presence of the original isn't a concern — there is no original me. We are an accumilation of our experiences up to the present point in time. I won't be tomorrow what I am today; an absolute sense of self isn't a valid concept. At the point of splitting, both copies would be identical, but after that their experiences would differ and continue to diverge, leading to two different persons whom only share memories beyond a certain point.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I think the other halves would inherit your traits, but you would be dead. It's the way I'd look at it.

Back