• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Am I the only one who can't enjoy the 1st and second generation games anymore ?

Are you still able to enjoy playing the older games even the graphics are not as good

• Yes the graphics do not bother me that much. I still enjoy playing the older games

Votes: 124 82.1%
  • No I am not able to enjoy playing the older games because of the graphics

Votes: 27 17.9%

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    I don't play the old games anymore I too use to the new ones because of the pokemon and graphics.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • The first two generation games>The two more recent ones. My username says it all.

When the first two games came out, it was a golden age for Pokemon. All the Pokemon were great, the game stages and storylines were well thought out etc. I still like the newer games, but they wouldn't even be here without the older generations. One thing that murdered part of the fourth game for me was that they introduced too many new moves. They need to stop with the moves now. There's simply too many. I'm pretty sure they've cancelled a lot of the moves that existed in previous games (anybody have any examples?), but I just feel they are creating too many new moves that, in some instances, do the same thing as moves created previously.

The thing I love about R/B/Y and G/S/C is exactly what most people are picking on it for. The graphics. I love the ****ty graphics. It brings back good memories for me when I was a child, which is part of the reason I still play the games. I remember all the hype around the MissingNo. glitch in 1998/99. Such a cool atmosphere when trying this out with friends. Of course, I don't cheat on the games anymore (I can't anyway), but the unintentional things often made the games what they were.

ZINK3.0

Hacker Beginner
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    I'm playing through my Pokemon Yellow now...
    But the only thing that annoys me is the Ol' Wrap Technique and Machops with their Focus Energy/Speed depends on critical chance/K-Chop, I mean really... They just kill me.

Oh and the unbelievable chance of getting poisoned from a poison attack.

Years
  • The graphics of the original games don't bother me at all, in some ways I actually prefer them to the new 'look how awesome all these Pokémon look' graphics of the new gens, although I am with a lot of people who believe that G/S/C has been the best generation to date due to how it was what people wanted of the game, I am also very fond of the originals because of the originality. Back then it was all new stuff no one knew what to expect and the jokey graphics (Golbat with huge tongue anyone?) just made the games even better, and going back to them now (although granted the inability to run is infuriating till you get the bike) is a welcome change from the fast paced - legendary Pokémon are everything - story lines.

To sum it up I find the 1st and 2nd gens more than just playable still, they are enjoyable.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Compared to newer games, the graphics are absolutely horrid

The thing is, Im not used to playing the older games anymore anyways, Im too used to the touch controls, (i keep forgetting that the start button opens the menu in the older games too D8)
    and the lack of running shoes, D8

but, theres still something about the old school pokemon that keeps reeling me back in, After all, They are the originals, and what got my into the games in the first place, <3

Years
  • wel, what to say what to say....
    Well first of. red, yellow and silver are games i have comleted like 6-7 times each (comlete=defeat red in silver or e4 in the first gen) and i still have no problem going trough them like once a year but as said before i can't bring myself to complete FRLG and after about 7 tries I just can't finish RSE. SERIOUSLY 7 TRIES!!!

:3

3:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2013
    For me, It's not so much the graphics that hinder me from playing, But the features of R/B/Y.

I mean that bag! And the Storage system wasn't much better.

I enjoy Fire Red and Leaf Green though :p

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • I actually don't mind the graphics in the old games AT ALL...in fact, I think the 'simplicity' is kinda cute. *shot*

I'd gladly play them over Diamond/Pearl anyday. D/P sucked...and the tunes in the older games are soo awesomely Pokemon-ish! How can you NOT love them?! ^_^

Soo, overall, i'm not fased by the bad graphics...at all. And I LOVE colorfull and shiny things...n.n

magrathean

Eevee Breeder
    Years
  • I tried playing Blue again the other day...I couldn't bring myself to get past Viridian forest somehow.

Though, I am still able to fully enjoy Silver...even though the one I tried to play yesterday wouldn't save.

Iced

Aspiration
    Years
  • Personally I think the 2nd gen. games were the best. I can replay Crystal over and over. I just got done with BassFace's G/S/C Challenge. I'm not much for the 1st gen. games, R/B/Y, because of all the flaws. However, I have taken a liking to the Pokemon Red romhack, Pokemon Brown.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Drawn 2 Old Games 4 LYFE!!!

But no, seriously, the graphics will never bother me. The music will never get old. It's all nostalgia and sentiment for me. I love it.

potatoman12

That Annoying Guy
    Years
  • RBY, when compared to the latter games, is literally BROKEN.

I mean seriously. Dugtrio + Rock Slide + EQ + Slash + Whatever = Win.
    Gyarados and others are the same as well.

AND WHY IS ICE BEAM SUPER EFFECTIVE AGAINST CHARIZARD

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    The graphics are fine for me. I can't seem to get into them because I've played them too many times. Also the DS versions' gameplay is way better(in some ways) and almost makes the old games seem boring.

Back