• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

American Horror Story

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
  • American Horror Story is a horror anthology series, which means each season is a self-contained miniseries following its own storyline with different sets of characters and settings. The show currently has three seasons: Murder House, Asylum, and most recently Coven, which ended on January 29th, 2014. Have you seen any American Horror Story? What's your favorite season thus far? If posting thoughts on Coven, use Spoiler tags if you can.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Asylum > Coven > Murder House

Though there are some really stand out episodes in all of the seasons that really transcend that, but as whole seasons, that's how I rank them. I enjoyed Asylum much more than the others because of just how dark it was.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Asylum > Coven > Murder House

Though there are some really stand out episodes in all of the seasons that really transcend that, but as whole seasons, that's how I rank them. I enjoyed Asylum much more than the others because of just how dark it was.

That's how I rank them as well. I feel like taking the beginning/middle/end of each one and putting them together would make for the best season. The end of Asylum (that ♥♥♥♥ was crazy, let's be real) with the middle of Coven and beginning of Murder House, imo. Speaking of the beginning of Murder House, is it just me or did the first episode seem really disconnected from the rest of the season? I feel like it was going to go in one direction but by episode 2/3 it was going somewhere totally different. Granted I watched the first episode and then the rest of the season a couple of months apart, but I hope my memory isn't that tattered.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I've never seen it but I saw it in HMV and I really wanted to buy it =/

I'll buy it next time the price gets lower, I'm really interested by it!

Shhmew

Years
  • I watched the first two, I really really enjoyed Asylum and I did start Coven, but got distracted by other shows before I could finish it. I'd like to finish it at some point, most definitely, it was pretty interesting. Murder House wasn't as great as the rest, but it was enjoyable enough to make me want to move on to the next season at least :P

Also, Jessica Lange is a brilliant actress.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    I've only seen Coven and I loved it. I have the other ones on Amazon so I'm going to start watching them soon. Things about Asylums give me the creeps though so I might hold off on that one.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I've only seen Coven and I loved it. I have the other ones on Amazon so I'm going to start watching them soon. Things about Asylums give me the creeps though so I might hold off on that one.

Hey, it's a horror show; it's supposed to give you the creeps!

Years
  • I hate horror movies. I hate overly excessive gore. So when my boyfriend forced me to watch Coven, I was not too pleased. In fact, we would get into arguments about the gore. Because I "forced" him to watch Breaking Bad, he argued that he had it worse. As he said that the show was much more gorey and stuff. That is a claim that I will still dispute to this day.

But I digress.

So, as it turns out, two episodes in, and I'm totally hooked. I loved the story, I loved the lore, I loved the show. So much, in fact, that I wanted to watch the previous two seasons. All I knew about them, however, was that the first season was called "Ghost House" or something and the second season was called "Asylum" and featured two actresses from Coven. Thinking that the show was a linear story, I was disappointed to find out when watching Asylum, that it is in fact not. And that each season is it's own thing.

I've only watched one episode of Asylum, and while I'm not a fan, I'm open to a couple more episodes until I make my final ruling. So to anyone who was close minded like me, all I have to say is try two or three episodes. if it's not for you, it's not for you. And above all else...

American Horror Story

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • I didn't really care for the first two seasons, but I LOVED the third season. I enjoyed a lot of the characters, especially Delphine LaLaurie and Queenie. I remember laughing at how Delphine couldn't understand the changes to society since her time, and how she makes friends with Queenie, only to revert to her old ways.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I agree with the Asylum > Coven > Murder House proposition too. Asylum probably gets it for the diversity of its characters.

Fiona Goode though. Ooooft. What a wilf.

Years
  • Well I just finished Asylum... and I loved it. As I said before, I'm a person who hates gore, nor am I a fan of horror. So its strange to have liked this season so much. Especially since I think this is probably the goriest thing I've ever watched.

I'm going to take a break from the series for a bit before I start the first Season. Without spoiling anything, can someone tell me if the first season more or less bloodier than the others?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Only just started watching this. I think Murder House is great, and am really excited to see the next seasons as they're universally regarded as better.

Solace said:
    is it just me or did the first episode seem really disconnected from the rest of the season? I feel like it was going to go in one direction but by episode 2/3 it was going somewhere totally different.
    It's not just you. The whole tone/mood of the show changes almost every episode. At first I was thinking why on earth are they introducing MORE STUFF without explaining anything else, but it wraps up nicely.

I'm going to take a break from the series for a bit before I start the first Season. Without spoiling anything, can someone tell me if the first season more or less bloodier than the others?
    I've only seen the first season so can't compare, but it's really not that bloody at all imo. Obviously there are some gore scenes, but few and far between.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • There's... quite a bit of gore/blood in the second and third seasons, the third moreso than the rest. XD I think the first season is fare and away more tame in comparison.

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
  • I yust watched it a couple of day's ago And I'm hooked lol.
    I'm glad I have Netflix I watch many stuff, and most of the stuff I want to see Netflix has it. :D

Years
  • Coven > Murder House > Asylum I guess

I started with Coven and I thought it was pretty good. It got kind of sloppy towards the end and I thought the whole supreme thing got kind of annoying (plus they forced the mystery so much I would have been bored whatever way it turned out tbh), but it was entertaining to watch overall. Murder House had better writing but I didn't find it as fun to watch as Coven.

Honestly I think the best thing about the series is the acting. Jessica Lange is amazing (Constance made Murder house for me really) and the rest of the caste almost always deliver.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • I absolutely loved Murder House and I was kind of sad to see it go. Coven was nice, but Asylum was terrible.

The title's kind of misleading though. It should be called Blood, Sex, and more Sex or something like that. Also, it's more of a drama/supernatural show than a horror show.

I'm hoping the next season's a bit better though.

Coven > Murder House > Asylum I guess

I started with Coven and I thought it was pretty good. It got kind of sloppy towards the end and I thought the whole supreme thing got kind of annoying (plus they forced the mystery so much I would have been bored whatever way it turned out tbh), but it was entertaining to watch overall. Murder House had better writing but I didn't find it as fun to watch as Coven.

Honestly I think the best thing about the series is the acting. Jessica Lange is amazing (Constance made Murder house for me really) and the rest of the caste almost always deliver.

One of the things I don't like about Coven is how they put in Peter Evans with virtually no role at all for most of the season, just to make a filler for the Taissa-Peter love scenario. The show would have done better without him.

Years
  • One of the things I don't like about Coven is how they put in Peter Evans with virtually no role at all for most of the season, just to make a filler for the Taissa-Peter love scenario. The show would have done better without him.

Yeah I agree there, Kyle was completely pointless for most of the season. Although I think one of the reasons they added him (apart from the obvious love thing like you mentioned) was to give more male characters in the house. Hank was the only other prominent guy around (and the hot neighbour, kinda).

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • One of the things I don't like about Coven is how they put in Peter Evans with virtually no role at all for most of the season, just to make a filler for the Taissa-Peter love scenario. The show would have done better without him.
    Pardon the correction, but his name is actually Evan Peters. And personally I thought he served a decent purpose in the story. He wasn't as important, but neither were several of the plot lines in Asylum. His whole sub plot with his mother was reasonably disturbing and I thought it worked.

I loved Coven, for sure, especially having lived in new Orleans for 2 years, and I found a lot of the locations familiar. But I think Asylum is probably my favorite, even if Coven was a bit stronger. Murder House was amazing the first time I watched it, but I felt like it was hard to re watch because none of the secrets or plot twists were as surprising any more. The other 2 really seemed like they had much better re watch potential.

Back