• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animal Lovers Association

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
What animals (wild, not domesticated i.e. dogs/cats) do you commonly see around your neck of the woods?

Well I live in the desert. Do I don't see much. Although I have seen a lot of spiders, bees, cockroaches, and flies. Not so many flies cause of the temperatures but I do see flies.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
*leBUMP*

Reviving this club with a topic! I believe it is...long overdue I think. xD Hope all your animal buddies are doing well. :)

What animals (wild, not domesticated i.e. dogs/cats) do you commonly see around your neck of the woods? You can include bugs as well as ocean animals if you live near the beach!

Been a while! :P I live in a pretty urban environment, so as far as wild animals go, I mainly only see squirrels, crows and pigeons. Seagulls, when I go the beach. Nothing out of the ordinary I can think of, I'm afraid.

I remember visiting Banff once and in the area I stayed in, it was common for deers to just wander around. So common some of the locals actually had to shoo them off their property because they didn't want them to eat their plants, haha.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I live in a desert area. Our wildlife is pretty...awesome. We have turkey vultures, hawks, crows, rattlesnakes, scorpions, as well as FROGS. I live near a canal and we have frogs nearby. It's pretty cool.

It's also kinda...bland because it's not much to see in terms of wildlife, which is why I prefer the forest than the desert. I like the sound of woodpeckers on trees and squirrels gathering nuts. In San Diego, where used to live, there's skunks in every corner. They're pretty adorable, but boy do they stink.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
My dogs:

1723249_10203071630421454_590246943_n.jpg

And my Chinchillas:

1170877_10203370125243638_1256619106_n.jpg

1797622_10203205839376594_1638851616_n.jpg

What animals (wild, not domesticated i.e. dogs/cats) do you commonly see around your neck of the woods?

I stay in town areas. All we have are stray dogs and cats, pigeons, crows, Mynahs, rats (They invade some shops...), mice, etc.

Years
^Awww! They're all adorable! I can't help but want to snuggle your chinchillas.

There are a handful of stray cats here and opossums/raccoons, though I don't see those very often. Also eagles and turkeys.. quite the selection but most of what I see are cats. We have some strays that we feed and they've been coming here fairly often for their food. Mom cat that visits gave birth not too long ago.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
i always thought chinchillas were.... less cute then that. turns out i was wrong. their pretty cute.

Now i want one.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Chinchillas are adorable! :D I wasn't even aware that they had bigger ears than other rodents like mice and hamsters. I would love to own a hamster or any other rodent myself, and I heard they're pretty easy to take care of in terms of responsibilities, but I'm afraid I might not be able to because I got mehself some two little tigers in my house. xD

I took Bentley on to his first trip to San Diego just this weekend and it turned out great! He went ahead and played around with my friend's little puppy, which is a Shih-tsu pup, and both of them slept on the same bed the same night. Would have taken pictures but haven't had the chance.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Chinchillas are in no way easy though, Minerva. Their stomach are very delicate and get upset easily.
And they love to destroy furnitures and walls.

It's good to only give unlimited hay and pellets daily; Treats are to be very limited (I only give dried rose hips every 2 weeks each). Too much treats upset and can cause diarrhoea in Chinchillas, and it can turn them very picky.

So if you're someone whom really love to treat a pet daily, Chinchillas aren't the pet for you.
Guineapigs would be good pets though, treating them to fresh vegetables daily (As well as their recommended dosages of vegs intake!).

I've kept hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, rabbits, guineapigs and chinchillas so if you need help, you could ask me :)

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
I had a hamster once. I was about 6 years old and got it at a pet place. It died after having it for 3 days. It was a sad day that day

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Chinchillas are in no way easy though, Minerva. Their stomach are very delicate and get upset easily.
And they love to destroy furnitures and walls.

It's good to only give unlimited hay and pellets daily; Treats are to be very limited (I only give dried rose hips every 2 weeks each). Too much treats upset and can cause diarrhoea in Chinchillas, and it can turn them very picky.

So if you're someone whom really love to treat a pet daily, Chinchillas aren't the pet for you.
Guineapigs would be good pets though, treating them to fresh vegetables daily (As well as their recommended dosages of vegs intake!).

I've kept hamsters, gerbils, rats, mice, rabbits, guineapigs and chinchillas so if you need help, you could ask me :)

Thank you THANK YOU for sharing your experience in rodents, Exo! I definitely appreciate it. I learned so much. This means the people I've known who had rodents (especially mice and chinchillas)...probably have no idea on what they're really doing. xD My older sister backed out on buying a pet mouse for my 6 year old niece one time. I felt she was too young to take care of a pet like that one, so she bought a goldfish instead.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
No worries!
Mouse are very smelly (They almost leak every minute!), I'd rather keep rats despite their larger size and larger cage need.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Good to know then. B)

Updated OP with brand new gifs! All I need left is to fix the name changes and such.

While I was searching I found this:

tumblr_n2nbgcBc8j1s818xzo1_400.gif

Let giant cats rule the world.

Years
Username: AoTora
Favourite animal: Wolf - manned wolf to be precise :3 Hyenas are also on my top 5 favourite animals list ^^

Pets: I used to own a dog (German Shephered) named Roni - he is currently staying with my step-dad while I moved to my grandparents- I still visit him often though :3 I'd bring him here if I could - but people around here are not really animal-friendly+ he has a lot more space there that I could offer him here. I also had a lot of cats at my step-dad's place since it's a farm :3 One of them was Tortie - named Lilla - she is still alive! She is over 10 years old and we formed a special bond :3 My mom found her as a kitten when someone abandoned her in the box - she nurtured her back to health and strength - she was very wild and skittish - she was scared of everything and she wouldn't let anybody touch her - she'd hiss and scratch - except for me - for some odd reason she loved me- she'd come close to me and just lay next to me or sit next to me - when she got kittens she didn't let anybody touch them - But I remember that she was feeding them once - I gave her some food and she let me picked up one of the kittens - While I was petting it she came to my arms with the other kitten in her mouth - she put it in my arms and fed them in my arms :O It was such an weird yet beautiful moment because she trusted me as much as I trusted her <3 She is still my "baby girl" and she'd still run to me purring like insane whenever I visit my step-dad :3 Her kittens are sadly gone now :( Their names were Poldi (Orange tabby) and Bucko (Gray and white spotted boy) we also had a lot of neighbor's cats around the house - our cats had a special place on a barn - with food water and shelter - it was like they'd live with us in the house - Sadly I did have allergic reactions to them so they couldn't stay with us in the house :(
At my grandmother's place I had a hamster named Jacob or Jake x3 He was gray and white and pretty big boy! He loved swimming xD For some odd reason I could give him a little bowl of water and he'd go in it and swim in it lol - I eventually started "washing him" - letting him in a bigger bowl of water - and he enjoyed it so much! He was really cool and he loved sleeping in my hoodie x3 Just like Poldi my kitty loved to do x3 Jacob was with us for 3 or 4 years before he passed of old age - We got him from a local pet store so I was surprised to see him living that long - he was an awesome pet and I miss him - but I didn't get another one since I am not at home all that much so I wouldn't be able to take care of him daily- but maybe later when I am done with school <3

Wild roosters would occasionally run around here - and deers - and maybe foxes or hedgehogs from time to time - although I remember that a badger came all the way from forest to our street last year - probably in search of food.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
A bigger cat fan! Yay. <3 Welcome to the club, AoTora. :)

I really miss having a lot of cats around the neighborhood. We have dogs, though. Not strays, but they have been trained to be close to their owners unleashed. When I lived in my old neighborhood when I was in my early years of uni, cats would come EVERYWHERE. And I'd greet them all! Some even made friends with my oldest cat Serafina, and later with Miki, so that was always great.

Oh wow! Badgers! Never heard of ones living nearby neighborhoods. :O Better hide your food because they're gonna get it. xD

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
So I haven't posted here for a while. And I thought I post now and show you guys my new friends that my dogs want to eat.

View attachment 71498

Apparently they come back every year. But usually there in everyone's front yard, not in our back yards in our pool.

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
It's safe to say that ducks are now flying up north for the warmer months now that the southern part of the equator is going to get a little cold. Keep your dogs away from those poor ducks though. :s

I've had a lot of different species of birds coming to my garden earlier in the past week, but that was because we just seeded the backyard with grass seed. xD

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
My dogs didn't even go outside until they flew off, and I wouldn't have let them out anyway with the ducks in the back yard so we're goon. And you don't have to worry

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
Yo yo yo! What happened to this club? It became so quiet. An I don't like it (even though I'm working a lot now.) But I have some good news about one of my lovable doggies. She graduated today from her puppy class (the advances one).

View attachment 71606

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Yo yo yo! What happened to this club? It became so quiet. An I don't like it (even though I'm working a lot now.) But I have some good news about one of my lovable doggies. She graduated today from her puppy class (the advances one).

View attachment 71606

That is just adorable.​

Don't have much to contribute, as I've been busy with schoolwork and I haven't been volunteering at the shelter much lately. But here is a gif of a somersaulting raccoon.

somersaulting_raccoon.gif

Back