• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime fanbase

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • Has there ever been a case of you coming across a certain anime's fandom which negatively impacted your view of the said anime itself? I've seen people who started disliking certain anime just because of their overly loud and vocal AND stupidly defensive fanbase. I myself never let it affect me, people have nothing to do with the anime in question, after all. But still, since there are, apparently, people like that; I was wondering if you're one of them too?

Feel free to talk of any fandoms that you think are very accepting of criticism. Or ones that are literally obsessed to the point of verbally insulting someone if they raise one finger at their precious animu. :p I think it is okay to talk about them as long as you don't start a flamewar over "NO YOUR WRONG YOUR XXX ANIME FANDOM IS WORST". Keep it civil, okay? Not that I think you all won't since you're all much more mature than the average person I meet on the internet. :p

With that said, here's something I wrote today. Was completely for, you know, trolling purposes because April Fool's. :p

Spoiler:

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I try to avoid fandoms, because they will inevitably negatively impact upon my view of the show, and I like to give things a chance before I judge them as good or bad. If I'm going to watch a show, it's because it interests me, not because hundreds of other people are trying to ram it down my throat until I either swallow their propaganda or choke to death on it...either seems to work for them. It's like having a different opinion isn't allowed in most anime fandoms: you either agree, or you're a blind heathen who deserves a death of the worst possible magnitude. I know this isn't something unique to anime fandoms, but it seems to be particularly bad in some places (Tumblr) and people get extremely sensitive over nothing. I prefer to avoid it entirely.

Magical girl fandoms are particularly bad, at least in my opinion. The Madoka fandom seems to be engaged in a constant war over how feminist the show is or isn't, how seriously the third movie should be taken, and just how homosexual the characters are. And don't even get me started on the Pretty Cure fandom...

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Are the Pretty Cure fandom that bad? On here I've only encountered a couple of fans and the /a/ threads are more than civilized for the most part.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    My personal experiences say yes, but then, my experience comes from Tumblr and the Precure Livejournal, and Tumblr in particular isn't really known for civilized debates...the confession blogs in particular are a battleground, and show a very nasty side of the fandom.

The Precure fandom is, broadly, divided into two parts: the part that thinks nothing compares to the original series, and the part that is convinced the only series worth watching is HeartCatch. HeartCatch drew a lot of new people into the franchise, which isn't a bad thing in itself - what is bad is that this part of the fandom is extremely vocal in denouncing every series that has followed for not being HeartCatch. Despite the fact that the show's target audience is young Japanese girls, there is a very strong feeling of entitlement in the fandom: if the show doesn't cater to their every whim, then it's bad, and that is that.

Don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic people in the Precure fandom. But for every nice, reasonable person you meet, there are several hundred people whining about how the latest incarnation doesn't meet their rigid, obviously right and absolute expectations, and how if you don't agree with them then you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I know this will come as no surprise, but basically any series that has a large fanbase on Tumblr has been negatively impacted. Shingeki no Kyojin especially! Their obsession with Levi and how basically every interaction between every character can be interpreted by them as something ship-worthy to them is kinda scary. I used to really enjoy SNK, and while there are a lot of cool/normal fans on tumblr there are a lot of odd ones.

The Fairy Tail fandom on tumblr kind of annoys me only since people get VERY serious about their ships sometimes and I've seen some users get really annoyed when people would ask them to tag their spoilers (they would reblog/post pictures of the new chapter/episode like right after it came out) but they don't annoy me as much as the SNK fandom on there.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I don't give a crap about others so... I tend to miss all fandomism...
    I do have a friend who started to hate Eotenas because of fandom.
    But I'm unsocial, don't use FB or tumblr so... I don't really see much of a fandom.

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • I haven't noticed a fandom impacting my perception of an anime, but I can see why it may for some people. I generally seem to enjoy anime that aren't extremely popular anyway (and I am fine with that). I have to add you got a ton of replies from that AF joke haha, good job :P I have to say though... I'm not much of a fan of Death Note. It's an awesome concept and it started out perfectly but I dropped it. *gasp*

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • I haven't noticed a fandom impacting my perception of an anime, but I can see why it may for some people. I generally seem to enjoy anime that aren't extremely popular anyway (and I am fine with that). I have to add you got a ton of replies from that AF joke haha, good job :P I have to say though... I'm not much of a fan of Death Note. It's an awesome concept and it started out perfectly but I dropped it. *gasp*

Most anime I watch is not popular either. Free! is the only popular anime I'm currently watching, though I avoid online fans because they are generally under the impression that it is a yaoi anime when it is not. I don't openly discuss anime with people IRL unless I know them well enough or if I'm at an anime con.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I don't know about "yaoi" but I don't think I've seen a person that was a major fan of Free who didn't seriously ship at least 2 pairs together.

sweets

You can do it! ☆彡
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2014
    The SAO fandom incredibly annoys me for two reasons: They attack like SAO is the end-all absolute BEST anime series in the world when it is boring and bland with uninteresting characters, and they often will never even give other series a chance. Nope, just SAO. And all other popular flavor of the month anime.

So annoying.

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
  • The People who I know are *like me* A little bit weird Nothing wrong with that. :)
    I think people who wathc anime and stuff have a other fantasy than the *normal* people.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Most anime I watch is not popular either. Free! is the only popular anime I'm currently watching, though I avoid online fans because they are generally under the impression that it is a yaoi anime when it is not.
    You can't blame them... most "we hate yaoi even though it's shounen-ai it's still yaoi" see full-boy cast + in case of Free half naked boys and immediately categorize it...
    If KyoAni did not try to appeal with half naked cast, it wouldn't be that quick to fall under yaoi category.

I also belong to category "I hate yaoi" but yaoi in its true meaning. And... I agree, there's nothing shounen-ai in Free.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • Most anime I watch is not popular either. Free! is the only popular anime I'm currently watching, though I avoid online fans because they are generally under the impression that it is a yaoi anime when it is not. I don't openly discuss anime with people IRL unless I know them well enough or if I'm at an anime con.

This is basically me. The anime I watch isn't super popular so I don't get that crap, thankfully.

Animes like Bleach and Naruto don't interest me so I won't watch them, even if they weren't popular. x3

For animes that I really care about, I try not to go online to randoms to avoid having the anime ruined for me. Otherwise I don't really see much. I'm on Tumblr too so it's surprising.

The only thing I see a lot is MadokaxHomura shipping which is annoying. But it's not too bad since it's become so popular that it doesn't bother me as much as it did.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • Eevee only watches super underground hipster animes like Lucky Star.

Funny enough, I first heard of Lucky Star back in 2007 when so many Pokemon and Anime fansites had Konata images in their layouts and I was like, who is this girl and why is she so popular? x3

Years
  • The fans of poopy anime like Hetalia (because it just isn't funny), Death Note, and Naruto makes themselves and their terrible anime worse than it is.

Like seriously, in my school it's nothing but "anime" fans who all watch the same generic anime.

Back