• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Another Game? Good Idea, or horrible downfall?

Kerotan

Gwo. Wuggo-wuggo.
    Years
    Well, there's a new game coming out, will be popular, by the looks of it, but I want to know, is anyone getting tired of the usual 'Trainer'- based pokemon games? I mean, They made ranger and mystery dungeon, but personally, I think thats not enough. I mean, It is good that the pokemon creators are being creative, but, If you think about it, some games are not creative at all. In all teh pokemon-catching games, (I don't mean ranger) You ALWAYS have the same storyline. Get the starter. Get the Badges. Catch the Legendary. Beat the Elite 4. Do whatever after-story crap there is to do. Pokemon has overwhelming potential, so why can't they think of anything BESIDES the average storyline? I really think they should stop making new pokemon (maybe new evolutions to keep us happy) rather then gennerating unneeded pokemon like Krickitune or bidoof. I mean, I wouldn't mind a game where you were a pokemon coordinator, or breeder, as long as it's a new, fresh idea. I would love to hear your opinions obout this.

Cid

Years
    I think that would be the case, too... Being a breeder/coordinator would be a fine twist too, not to mention twists to the plot...

Years
    Yeah, new fresh ideas are nice. Ranger worked, Mystery Dungoen was alright, and the old Pinballs worked. But in my opinion, the saying "If it aint broke, dont fix it" comes to mind. Honestly, the original ideas of training/catching/battling etc in the main RPGs is the main appeal to me. So if they did bring out new spin-offs, theyve still gotta bring it out 'along-side' the main games. Get me?

Milke

Chill it an' spill it.
    Years
    Yeah, new fresh ideas are nice. Ranger worked, Mystery Dungoen was alright, and the old Pinballs worked. But in my opinion, the saying "If it aint broke, dont fix it" comes to mind. Honestly, the original ideas of training/catching/battling etc in the main RPGs is the main appeal to me. So if they did bring out new spin-offs, theyve still gotta bring it out 'along-side' the main games. Get me?

Yeah, I hear waht you're saying. If the whole fanbase demands something else, then they'll change it, but since everybody seems to still like, it, they aren't going to change it for 3 reasons:

1: $
    2: $
    3: It's easier that way.
    4: Did I say $?

Years
    i reckon at the begging you should get to pick are you a boy or a girl are you trainer or a breeder or a corrdianor or if you are all of the above that would be the best way because if they make you have to be a cordinator or a breeder thay will lose a lot of money

Trainer Kat

→ voodoo jungle d r u m s;;
    Years
    In my opinion, I think new evolutions is a bad idea. The ones they released in D/P were just horrible. Togekiss? Magnezone? Tangrowth? They all ruin first and second gen Pokémon, to the point where I've traded in my Magneton for an Electrode (or bring an unevolved Pokémon on WiFi with me). The only thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a Pinsir evolution, and even that would be unnecessary, as Pinsir's an excellent stand-alone Pokémon. As far as Bidoof goes, I've seen some pretty well-raised Bibarels in my day. xDD

Personally, I love the 'monotonous' task of catching and raising Pokémon. While I love the spin-offs, it's always the actual games that get me excited, because that's what the Pokémon games are to me. However, I wouldn't mind a series of console games based solely around Shadow Pokémon. Any handheld spin-offs (with the exception of Mystery Dungeon and the like) would have to come out around the time of the main games, like feeder said.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a coordinator spin-off. It plays a pretty prominent role in the TV shows, and it's getting more in-depth as the games progress.

mariokutai

Okutai-Bunbun-San
    Years
    Cain't say i really mind. Pokemon is pokemon

Truthfully, however, the old school get the starter, the badges, the legendary, kick some elite 4 butt appeals to me greatly

Mystery dungeon was alright

the thought of being turned into a pokemon was a pretty good one

Ranger was good also

But old school is still my fave

and always will be ^__^

charmanderchampion

tyranitar master
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2008
    I think they should make a game with all regions (kanto,johto,hoen,sinoh and islands from pokemon fire red) and a new one. Also make it all in 3D on the wii and have battle frontier and some saught of co-ordinator island. The new region should have 100+ new pokemon (no evolutions of exicting pokemon but, baby pokemon are ok).

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    The thing is, the formula that we've all come to know quite well just keeps selling. Nintendo realizes this, and that's why they don't come up with new ideas all that often. Because they don't need to. They know the original RPG formula that started off with Blue/Red still works, and will still work.

Years
    Well, there's a new game coming out, will be popular, by the looks of it, but I want to know, is anyone getting tired of the usual 'Trainer'- based pokemon games? I mean, They made ranger and mystery dungeon, but personally, I think thats not enough. I mean, It is good that the pokemon creators are being creative, but, If you think about it, some games are not creative at all. In all teh pokemon-catching games, (I don't mean ranger) You ALWAYS have the same storyline. Get the starter. Get the Badges. Catch the Legendary. Beat the Elite 4. Do whatever after-story crap there is to do. Pokemon has overwhelming potential, so why can't they think of anything BESIDES the average storyline? I really think they should stop making new pokemon (maybe new evolutions to keep us happy) rather then gennerating unneeded pokemon like Krickitune or bidoof. I mean, I wouldn't mind a game where you were a pokemon coordinator, or breeder, as long as it's a new, fresh idea. I would love to hear your opinions obout this.

Really, they couldn't do that. Why give up something so great just to make Pokémon into something that has nothing to do with what Pokémon started out with??

Give me the "Pokémon are mystical animals" storyline anyday over the games that give the Pokémon almost human personalities. It feels too Disney when they do that.

I think they should make a game with all regions (kanto,johto,hoen,sinoh and islands from pokemon fire red) and a new one. Also make it all in 3D on the wii and have battle frontier and some saught of co-ordinator island. The new region should have 100+ new pokemon (no evolutions of exicting pokemon but, baby pokemon are ok).

As cool as you think that would be, I honestly think that multiple regions in one game shouldn't be touched again unless it's the revamp of G/S. They made it work, but they didn't focus on that aspect of the game as anything more than a post-story story.

Also, why make a core game on the Wii, when it really has nothing to do with the games title: Pokémon, Pocket Monsters. Last time I checked, the Wii isn't really.. pocket compatible.

Game Boy.

Game Boy Color.

Game Boy Advance.

Nintendo DS.

All portable systems.

The games on consoles have always had some RPG elements, but were never considered a core game to the series.

Ryuzaki_Lawliet

Arctic Fox Lover =3
    Years
    They shouldn't make a new one. Partly because of money, and the other: A lot of the people like the pokemon storyline the way it is. I really think it should stay the way they have it, and answering your question, if they made a new game: HORRIBLE DOWNFALL!

They can make a new game, as long as they stick to the storyline and the only thing different is the fact you could choose between co-ordinatior or breeder. That would be OK.

Drakorn

[b][color=red]Skarmory is love[/color][/b]
    Years
    Another new game is a no, I mean, some of the new games (not the RPG) ones are rather pointless, such as the trading card game, pinball etc. Right, back to on-topic, it will be a horrible downfall.

Kerotan

Gwo. Wuggo-wuggo.
    Years
    Yeah, I hear waht you're saying. If the whole fanbase demands something else, then they'll change it, but since everybody seems to still like, it, they aren't going to change it for 3 reasons:

1: $
    2: $
    3: It's easier that way.
    4: Did I say $?

I agree completely. The main reason they don't make a game with all the regions is so that people wouldn't be happy with only 1 game. They'de have to buy this game.... and that one... and this one... Get what I mean? But that's why we have fangames!

Oh yeah, and I'm not trying to say nintendo is a worthless buch of idiots! They are great! I'm just saying marketing is taking over a bit. The main root from this thread is that D/P was a bit lacking in single player, therefore I think something brand new would be cool.

EDIT: Oh yeah and to Trainer Kat, I kind of agree some evolutions are very unneeded, but lots of people would be extremely enraged if nintendo just... stopped making pokemon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Really, they couldn't do that. Why give up something so great just to make Pokémon into something that has nothing to do with what Pokémon started out with??

Give me the "Pokémon are mystical animals" storyline anyday over the games that give the Pokémon almost human personalities. It feels too Disney when they do that.

As cool as you think that would be, I honestly think that multiple regions in one game shouldn't be touched again unless it's the revamp of G/S. They made it work, but they didn't focus on that aspect of the game as anything more than a post-story story.

Also, why make a core game on the Wii, when it really has nothing to do with the games title: Pokémon, Pocket Monsters. Last time I checked, the Wii isn't really.. pocket compatible.

Game Boy.

Game Boy Color.

Game Boy Advance.

Nintendo DS.

All portable systems.

The games on consoles have always had some RPG elements, but were never considered a core game to the series.

I don't think that that really matters... I mean look at Pokémon Colosseum. They managed to put in a full-fledged story mode without harming any of the previous portable games, and it actually turned out to be quite a decent game for the GameCube. In short, there have been Pokémon RPGs before on consoles, so it may very well just happen again.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    I must admit I have always longed for a Pokemon game in which you play the role of a villain rather than the typical hero. Perhaps it will contain how you move up the ranks and various missions you will accomplish. They could also make a DPP style Pokemon game, but for the Nintendo Wii.

Amp

This is crazy.
    Years
    They've just got to open the games up a bit. So far, they've been linear almost to a fault. They could, however, take some cues from the more open-ended western RPGs.

Buuuuut this is Nintendo. Pokemon games are still selling in the multimillions. THey don't fix what ain't broke.

Ryuzaki_Lawliet

Arctic Fox Lover =3
    Years
    Some people would break out in a spazm if they stopped making pokemon. Back @ topic: I just think they shouldn't make any more legandaries. Pain in the but, those legandaries becuase they make atleast 2 for every new reigon!

Back