• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any friends at school who are interested in Pokemon?

Have any friends at school who like Pokemon ?

• Yes

Votes: 51 47.2%
  • No </3

Votes: 36 33.3%
  • I Do - but they don't like to talk about it at school

Votes: 21 19.4%

• Total voters

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Well actually 2 of my friends do but that is about it...

nakoma

gothic pokemon person
    Years
    I go to an arts school and about 90% of the kids that go there are the outcasts, losers,geeks and nerds so about 80% of everyone there likes pokemon. I openly have conversations about pokemon with loads of people i know. I see people with pokemon t-shirts,games and all sorts of fun stuff.

PokemonMasterRazir

Sucks@ trying to learn trumpet
    Years
    Mentioning pokemon in Real life.

If you ever mention pokemon in real life what is the person's reaction? Like are you a major freak about it and you use Arceus O_o? Whenever you talk about it you here "Your such a dork." ?

I for one get called wierd. I don't use Arceus. I will do that when it is no longer
    hacked. But anyway do you have any stories about it?

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    People here who like it are not nerdy except for those who are nerds already. No one really cares here.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    There is no reaction. I'm paranoid and I don't want to see my reputation get destroyed because I like Pokémon so I pretend to hate it. Works well.
    I really can't say it any better than that, bingo.

Years
    It's a sad indictment of the attitudes of teenagers, but alas, I'm in the same boat as Rekhyt and Beach Boy. I only talk about it with my closest friend (who is also a fan, as it would happen), and we never mention the hallowed word, for fear we'll be overheard and taunted. Because, frankly, that's what sixteen- and seventeen-year-olds are like. -_-

Candace

Beauty Trainer
    Years
    I've been playing Pokémon for 10 years - it's old school. None of my friends see anything nerdy about it

But perhaps they go easy on me because the cards and anime don't interest me

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    That's actually pretty sad.
    It's sad in the sense people's hobbies are murdered by the general community in some places. But it's not sad that he tries to hide it to protect himself from reputation destruction that can be inflicted for sharing it. Some of the schools these days are absolutely brutal when it comes to Pocket Monsters. Heck, sure I'd like to share with pride like some other people, but what have I seen that happens to them? Basically social suicide, living in assault of laughter for the rest of their school term, it's not fun at all.

Callandor

ughhh....
    Years
    I never mention that I like it just so I can advoid conflict. I'm on this site at school right now. I could care less about my social status or what people think about me. Unless thier my firends. And yeah, the Tv show kinda suck now. I was never really in to the cards though.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Even mentioning the 'P' word is a taboo on par with racism among the guys at the pub.

I'll talk about it if people bring up gaming, or asking me what ROMs i have on my PSP. But other than that, the series doesn't interest me much anymore anyway, so i don't really mention it.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    @ MartianOddity;

Well, you know... now that I've written this out, I should take back what I said completely agreeing with Rekhyt, my situation is a bit different...

As for me, Pocket Monsters is indeed one interest of mine that I'd rather keep in my back pocket, but for more reasons than "reputation". When I have my family barking down my neck to grow up and move on from this, I don't want to go to school (I'm currently in virtual school, but when I go back to public) to deal with the same crap there. Look, I got sick of standing up for it, I tried that, I did that in middle school and didn't work out, so I put it away, kept it a secret from then on. And then left it for four or so years, from boredom / lack of interest, but came back when I transferred over to virtual school about a year ago 'n' found out about generation IV 'n' stuff searching the net. :P One of those on 'n' off phases Pocket Monster fans usually have, I suppose.

Pocket Monsters isn't that significant in my life to change my entire self or image, but when I go back to public school, it's just me to not going run around "I love the Battle Tower :F" like say, er... here on PC. And another thing is... it's because it's so rare that people like it. Why should I go spouting I like the interest if there's not a soul to be seen to share the same ground with? At the high school I transferred out of, I didn't see anyone. So no real opportunity to even mention it, either. And I'm not the person to go around asking people their interests, regardless of topic, that's just being shy. XD

And I saw people admit they liked it, that was in middle school, years ago, when I fought back. And in later years, when (I thought) I left Pocket Monsters for good, of course I wasn't going to fight with them for an interest that became boring to me overall. So you're getting the wrong idea there, and that's my bad for not being clear on my situation. And well, I haven't seen people admit they Pocket Monsters it in the past two high schools I've been to, and doubt the third.

Again, I don't "fake" my interests, no, I merely keep one card face down. (Is that faking?) I am the real me, but I merely put one of my childhood interests away from the spotlight. Although you make it sound that it's one of the biggest deals I have on my plate then, 'n' maybe you're right, but at the moment, my life is absolutely fine without saying "I enjoy watching the Pocket Monsters Anime, or that I enjoy figuring out successful strategies in the Battle Tower!" to people that I can't relate to on that topic, and may not care.

I can't speak of Rekhyt's behalf, I was merely assuming his situation, but as for mine, I just said it. And I don't consider it sad in the least to not go throwing (saying) it out in the wind like say... my surfing.

And now I'm just rambling, 'kay. Took too long to put this together, and even then probably left things out, sorry if I confused anyone. o_o;

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    @ MartianOddity;

Well, you know... now that I've written this out, I should take back what I said completely agreeing with Rekhyt, my situation is a bit different...

As for me, Pocket Monsters is indeed one interest of mine that I'd rather keep in my back pocket, but for more reasons than "reputation". When I have my family barking down my neck to grow up and move on from this, I don't want to go to school (I'm currently in virtual school, but when I go back to public) to deal with the same crap there. Look, I got sick of standing up for it, I tried that, I did that in middle school and didn't work out, so I put it away, kept it a secret from then on. And then left it for four or so years, from boredom / lack of interest, but came back when I transferred over to virtual school about a year ago 'n' found out about generation IV 'n' stuff searching the net. :P One of those on 'n' off phases Pocket Monster fans usually have, I suppose.

Pocket Monsters isn't that significant in my life to change my entire self or image, but when I go back to public school, it's just me to not going run around "I love the Battle Tower :F" like say, er... here on PC. And another thing is... it's because it's so rare that people like it. Why should I go spouting I like the interest if there's not a soul to be seen to share the same ground with? At the high school I transferred out of, I didn't see anyone. So no real opportunity to even mention it, either. And I'm not the person to go around asking people their interests, regardless of topic, that's just being shy. XD

And I saw people admit they liked it, that was in middle school, years ago, when I fought back. And in later years, when (I thought) I left Pocket Monsters for good, of course I wasn't going to fight with them for an interest that became boring to me overall. So you're getting the wrong idea there, and that's my bad for not being clear on my situation. And well, I haven't seen people admit they Pocket Monsters it in the past two high schools I've been to, and doubt the third.

Again, I don't "fake" my interests, no, I merely keep one card face down. (Is that faking?) I am the real me, but I merely put one of my childhood interests away from the spotlight. Although you make it sound that it's one of the biggest deals I have on my plate then, 'n' maybe you're right, but at the moment, my life is absolutely fine without saying "I enjoy watching the Pocket Monsters Anime, or that I enjoy figuring out successful strategies in the Battle Tower!" to people that I can't relate to on that topic, and may not care.

Only person in my family who says anything is my Grandpa ,who is virtually a complete @$$. My family for two generations has been engrossed in Asian culture anyways ,and my father ,mother,nor my long dead grandmother cared unless it affected my grades. I myself have watched foreign shows with my sister since I was in the crib ,and I switched to them mainly due to how bland American television was back in the day. Only American thing I watched then was Spiderman and Batman. Now that American tv has gotten better( Fringe, Lost, Heroes, Terminator) , I don't watch anime often--- or any foreign stuff however unless its either sentai ,Kamen rider or a new manga. I'm also reading Carrying Blue.

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
    I know of at least one, but I don't know his name.

He is the stereotype of a nerd, I swear. What's worse, people either ignore him or pretend to be nice and make fun of him behind his back. I don't know if its because of Pokemon, but it may be. I saw him looking at the Pokedex on pokemon.com at school.

I, for one, am not about to go talking about it. And to be honest, there's no reason to. The subject hasn't really been breached, and there's nobody for me to talk about it with. The topic may have come up once, but if it did, I probably just said nothing. I hold Pokemon close to my heart due to my childhood, and wouldn't fake that I hate it. However, I won't start jumping up and down in joy if Pokemon ever does come up when I'm around.

I'm not a big fan of taunts and involuntary (on my part) isolation. If it were common knowledge that I liked Pokemon, I would stand up for it. Would I like the treatment, which would be the same even if I stood up for myself? Nope. So I keep it to myself. And I come on here to discuss my love for it. I wouldn't be here if there was someone to talk about Pokemon with at school.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    I, for one, am not about to go talking about it. And to be honest, there's no reason to. The subject hasn't really been breached, and there's nobody for me to talk about it with.

You mean nobody you'd like to talk to about Pokemon? Because you just said that the "nerdy" kid seems to like it.

MartianOddity said:
    If you can't show your environment and stand by something as insignificant as the liking of Pocket Monsters, then how can you stand for far more important things later on in life? It's now that those parts of personality takes shape, in the age of 16-19 years.
    There's no point in hanging out with a crowd that'll socially reject you because you still like something you liked when you were a kid. That kind of friendships and comradeships are bull.

Man. That's one of the things I wish the whole world knew.

Last edited:

Infamous Amos

ALL BIDOOF IN MY WAY WILL FALL
    Years
    Probobly none who are as into it as I am.

A few think the games are cool, but don't play them as much.
    Only one that I am close friends with plays the games as much as I do.

joehat

Yay
    Years
    Great post MartianOddity!

The thing is, most people on this site don't just like Pokemon, they love it. I mean, that's the reason I joined this site, because I love Pokemon. Why should you be ashamed and why should you hide something you love? Now, I'm not saying you need to go school dressed up like Pikachu with a banner over your head reading "I LOVE POKEMON!" I'm just saying there's no reason to hide it. If someone asks me if I like Pokemon, I'm going to say yes.

Maybe it's just a bit easier after junior high or high school though? I remember getting made fun of terribly in junior high. It never affected me though, and once in high school, it pretty much stopped. It was in high school that I found out how much some of my friends were actually in to Pokemon. What more can I say though? I think all fans of Pokemon should read MartianOddity's post. If only the whole world could see Pokemon like we do (as Trap-Eds said as well) haha.

Back