• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Anybody else feel extremely underleveled by the Elite Four?

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
  • This is a commons sight for me. in every game I paly, I am always underlevel by seven to ten levels. HGSS is no exception.

Infernal_Storm

Blazing Hero
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2012
    It's really easy to be largely underlevelled for the Johto Elite 4 because of the really low level wild Pokemon. I find that I'm always around lv40-42 with my team when entering. The Elite 4 of Johto is easy anyway, so you can defeat them with ease even at that level.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2012
    Btw. If you need a spot to train:

If you head to the Johto safari park, you come in a cave where you can go up and down. If you go down, you come across water and two waterfalls. Climb up the first waterfall and you come across a patches of grass with really strong pokemon from lvl 30 to lvl 40. These also pokemon that give off a lot of XP like tauros, miltank etc. It helped me a lot in training.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I have a thing about grinding like crazy before all Gym Leaders and E4 members, so I've never encountered this issue, fortunately. Also, I never battle anyone unless I know precisely what critters they have and at which levels because I'm a massive wimp when it comes to stuff like that. So the Johto E4 weren't really a surprise. (Added to the fact that I could remember a lot about them from Gen II.)

Years
  • I found that I was one or two levels under the Champion, which is pretty good in my opinion. I tend to grind before the elite four , but do hardly anything before gym leaders. Overall, I did pretty mediocre, and although I had to use a lot of revives, I did beat the Champion.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    I think it is intended that you are underleveled for the elite four, so that you have to level up, and may as a result, go back and do whatever little side things you missed. Even if you just grind it extends the overall main game time.

Xx Typhlosion xX

Typhlosion FtW!
    Years
  • I was slightly underleveled as well, I didn't even have a Pokemon with Ice type attacks to take down Lance so it was a real pain to try and take those dragons out...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Most, if not all the time, I'm underleveled for the Elite Four. The reason being is because I haaaate grinding, and I have a habit of avoiding grass when I don't need to go through it or anything. I've tried to rid of this several times, to no prevail. For my Platinum, I actually bothered to grind a bit, after realizing just how underleveled (about 15 levels or so) I was compared to the Elite Four.

Ritzz

Bazinga
    Years
  • For Johto, I grinded in Victory Road foreverrrr. So I was able to beat the E4 easily. Eventually though I was really underleveled when I got to Red.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • I find this with DPPt. Those are the only games I play with a team consisting of less than 6 Pokémon (usually 4) because I just don't feel like reaching the league at level 50 when Pokémon I'm facing are up to 60.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • I was at lv60 with all my team (Driftblim, Infernape, Garchomp, Raichu, Milotic, (something else) )

Without extra grinding

I think I did pretty well,

In HG/SS, I don't remember my team that well, but I was able to beat it without failing once, so it was good for me.

The only games I failed the E4 in, was Sapphire a long time ago,

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the developers made it that way so you would have to get a certain amount of gameplay out of the game instead of just speeding through the game. anyway i love to go back and fill up my pokedex while gaining XP along the way and leveling up my pokemon:)

Challenger

The Challenger
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    I wasn't extremely underleveled, In Diamond i was about 2 levels under and in Soulsilver I was about 3 levels over :)

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • The only game I didn't have that problem in was HG/SS haha. I honestly never tried to get my Pokemon on par with gym leaders, and they were ever really a problem for me. But once I got to the Elite Four, having to battle five Elites in a row, all 20~ levels above me... yeah that's kinda tough.

But yeah, like I said, HG/SS was the only one that didn't give me problems.

Years
  • I would have had an insanely difficult time trying to beat them... except.

I managed to get Entei and Raikou. With Raikou, I taught him Thunder to weaken Lugia til I caught him. When I got Lugia, I taught him Blizzard just to take down Lance's dragons. The three of them alone took down the Elite Four for me.

Shadowed Team

Kanto/Johto Pokémon Master
    Years
  • To me, the Elite Four was a breeze. All of my Pokemon were above Lance's Level 50 Dragonite by around 5. I never ran away from trainers, and I always loved to explore the caves. You should train all your Pokemon up Wonderfulpat. Use the EXP. Share. My Typhlosion was always my strongest Pokemon by around 5 levels.

Years
  • Yeah, I get this in every game. It is because I like to train all my Pokemon, so I change my party all the time.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Yeah I can say that I have been faced with the situation where my pokemon are lower-level than the Elite Four's, but nothing a bit of grinding will fix up, plus I find actually, having your Pokemons' levels a tad lower much of a challenge and personally, its more enjoyable that way for me.@Tombo, between what? Pikachu. XD;

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I can tell you i grind ALOT so i never really have this problem. Although back in the day playing emerald and to this day i find the hoenn leauge quite damm good. Drake or whatever his name is was tough!

Back