• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

April friendly

Years
  • Hello, i want to enter the april friendly tournament online,and i made a team. i was wondering if anyone could give suggestions to improve it, thanks.

Tyrannitar@tyrannitarite
    Adamant/sandstream
    156HP/252ATK/100DEF
    -Stone edge
    -earthquake
    -crunch
    -????

Liepard@Leftovers
    252HP/252Def/4Sp.Def
    Timid/Prankster
    -Swagger
    -Thunder wave
    -Substitute
    -Foul Play

Ninjask@Sitrus berry(not really sure if i want to use ninjask or not)
    252HP/4Def/252 Speed
    Rash/speed boost
    -substitute
    -protect
    -swords dance
    -baton pass

Charizard@Charizardite y
    4Hp/252Sp.Atk/252 Speed
    Modest/Solar Power
    -Blast Burn
    -Solar Beam
    -Heat Wave
    -air slash

Goodra@Assault Vest
    100Hp/252Sp.atk/156Sp.Def
    Quiet/Hydration
    -Dragon pulse
    -Flamethrower
    -Muddy Water
    -Sludge Wave

Greninja@???
    252Sp.atk/4Sp.def/252Speed
    Calm/Protean
    -Grass knot
    -Extra sensory
    -Ice beam
    -scald

Thats what i am thinking of using for my team.(of course in april friendly you only use 3 per battle) i would appreciate it if anyone helps me out.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Mega Tyranitar has just enough Speed to pull a Dragon Dance set. It also doesn't need much defensive investment due to its good natural bulk+Sandstorm:

-Mega Tyranitar w/Tyranitarite
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Moves: Stone Edge, Earthquake, Crunch, Dragon Dance

Scoilpede > Ninjask because Scoilpede is bulkier and can actually deal damage.

-Scolipede w/Focus Sash or Black Sludge
    Nature: Jolly/Impish
    Ability: Speed Boost
    EVs: 34 HP, 252 Attack, 224 Speed or 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Attack
    Moves: Megahorn, Swords Dance, Baton Pass, Protect/Earthquake

Blast Burn is a bad move on Charizard because of the cool-down turn, which leaves it very vulnerable. Air Slash doesn't really hit anything harder than its other moves can. Heat Wave is also unnecessary and better for Doubles. A better moveset would be: Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Solarbeam, Dragon Pulse, Focus Blast

Assault Vest Goodra doesn't really need any Sp.Defense investment. It's naturally high Sp.Defense and the Vest give it all the Sp.Defense it needs. Put those EVs into HP instead so it can handle both sides a bit better. Also, Focus Blast or Thunderbolt is better than Muddy Water, for type coverage. And Hydration is only useful when its raining, and this aint a rain team. Sap Sipper or Gooey are better abilities here.

You'll wanna use a Hasty or Timid nature for Greninja. It's really frail, so Calm doesn't help it survive anything. Hasty/Timid allows you to make sure it outspeeds things. Also, Hydro Pump is the preferred Water STAB because of the power. Greninja needs all the power it can get. Scald is better on bulky pokes who can take a hit and are fishing for the burn chance.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • I definitely agree with switching out Ninjask for Scolipede. He's a really awesome Baton Passer that can dish out some damage if he needs to.

Other than that, my main advice would be to watch out for Fighting-types, seeing as your team is predominantly Dark. I'm sure you won't use two in the same battle, but if you do, remember to bring along Charizard.

Not sure whether you've already figured this out or not, but I'd also put a Life Orb on Greninja to get the most out of him.

Years
  • thanks guys, its really cool that you are willing to help me out. while im not new to pokemon in general(been playing since blue/red), i am relatively new to compettitive battling, and i appreciate any advice i can get. :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    We have also thought of Mega-Tyranitar but decided against it because it is a massive PuP/Geomancy bait. We would never use it without Aegislash who is at least a hard-counter to non-mixed Xerneas.
    Otherwise, use Rock Slide. The only case where Stone Edge is ever superior is when you somehow are able to pull off +2 (OHKOs 0/0 Xerneas) which is pretty hard without Dual Screens. On +1 Rock Slide has the nifty flinch effect, better accuracy and still accomplishes everything Stone Edge would: OHKOing bulky Yveltal, 2HKOing attacker Xerneas and mauling Talonflame before it can WoW you. Do not forget that there are no entry hazards and much less switching so it better to use the safests option unless the low accuracy move actually does something different.

We also did a few tests with Charizard-Y but it is kind of underwhelming in this kind of enviroment. It never hits hard enough to OHKO stuff when it is Timid and even when it is Modest it still stuggles with OHKO plus being outsped by Yveltal and Kangaskhan. Also, it is a bit frail on the physical side, which is fatal with the amount of Sucker Punches flying around. Its only solid perk is being a fine Mawile check and a counter to Ferrothorn and Aegislash. As a receiver, Kangaskhan is usually better thanks to her access to priority and superior bulk.

There is an extensive threat list on this site here. You might want to take a look at what your team needs to beat in order to compete with common stuff.

PGL: 2014 April Friendly

Years
  • i ended up replacing tyrannitar with :
    Kangaskhan@kangashanit
    Adamant- 256Hp/252Atk/100Speed
    -sucker punch
    -power up punch
    -rock slide
    -dizzy punch
    thanks for the help

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • i ended up replacing tyrannitar with :
    Kangaskhan@kangashanit
    Adamant- 256Hp/252Atk/100Speed
    -sucker punch
    -power up punch
    -rock slide
    -dizzy punch
    thanks for the help

Return is better over Dizzy Punch. You lose some extra power if you go that way.

And I assume Rock Slide is for hitting Talonflame and Charizard on the switch, am I right?

Years
  • i also taught scolipede iron defense/baton pass so i can baton pass its speed boost and defense to my kangaskhan, do you think that will work well?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • i also taught scolipede iron defense/baton pass so i can baton pass its speed boost and defense to my kangaskhan, do you think that will work well?

Iron Defense + Baton Pass is best suited for dedicated Baton Pass teams; this team isn't one of them.

Back