• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Ar-kay-us or Ar-see-us?

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    I've heard some of my freinds and some videos on YouTube pronounce Arceus Ar-see-us.
    I personally think that since Arceus is from the beginning of time he is archaic. Ar-kay-ic (marked by the characteristics of an earlier period). Thus the pronunciation of Arceus would be Ar-kay-us. What's your opinion?

varial295

A pokemon researcher
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2010
    hmmmmmmmm im not sureee i think its finbe the way it is

bearsfan092

Competitive Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2010
    Traditionally, the combination like -ceu does not result in a sharp c (cuh) pronunciation. I'm a supporter of the Ar-see-us pronunciation.

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
    It's pronounced Ar-see-us. The Opera Browser's narrator speech tool even pronounces it that way!

"Arceus's name may come from the words arch (highest) and deus, which is Latin and Greek for god. It may also have a root in the Latin word arcanus, which means secret; sacred mystery.

Arceus's name may also come from the word archaic (ancient), which comes from the Greek arkhaios, and is derived from the ancient Greek word for "beginning", arkhē. It could have also come from the Latin word archetypus (original). Alternatively, Arceus's name can be seen as a portmanteau of Zeus, the most powerful of Greek gods and arch (highest)."

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I have a tendency to pronounce Pokemon as I read them, as Battle Revolution's PWNyta has reinforced in my mind and on my Wii on many occasions. So I've always pronounced Arceus Are-see-us, as opposed to Ar-kay-us.

As I figure it, Are-see-us probably has something to do with 'are see us' which, aside from being grammatically incorrect, could possibly mean Arceus watching down on the rest of world from way Up There (capitalized on purpose).

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    Regardless of the English translation, アルセウス is how I pronounce it. Aruseusu in romaji as this is how it's meant to be pronounced in Japanese.

EDIT: Which is what I do with Shaymin Sheimi.

Last edited:
    Years
    I think it's Are-see-us. That's how I pronounce it.
    I always thought that usually, when "e" comes after "c", it makes the "see" sound. Plus, "u" came after "e", so it just fits a bit more.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Going from how it would be pronounced in Japanese, I bet it's 'Ar-say(sei)-us'. I've never heard anyone say the name, though. It's only a guess..

That's how I pronounce it.. whether it's correct, or not. xD;

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    New translation that might be used by some people: Ar-suce.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I really don't pronounce it as either. I pronounce it Are-cues (Kinda like are zues, with a 'c' instead of a 'z')

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    Going from how it would be pronounced in Japanese, I bet it's 'Ar-say(sei)-us'. I've never heard anyone say the name, though. It's only a guess..

That's how I pronounce it.. whether it's correct, or not. xD;

Hey, that's how I pronounce it! And I hadn't even seen the Japanese pronunciation before.

I like the explanation that it might be a reference to "archaic," though. It makes sense to me. Even so, I'll probably keep pronouncing it Ar-say-us.

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
    Also, the name "Arceus" may originate from the the word archaic but it doesn't have to be pronounced in a way similar to that.
    It's the "etymology" of the word. Etymology means the history of a word or the study of the sources and development of a word.
    English words or names usually come from other languages such as Latin or French. The pronounciation of the original word is
    changed through the process of translation. For example, in Japanese, it's pronounced Ar-say(sei)-us. However, in
    English it's pronounced Ar-see-us. This is because when translated in English, the "c" and the "e" in Arceus makes a
    "see" sound.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    It's definitely Ar-see-us. It was based off of (or rather, it is) Arceus's Japanese name, which is Aruseusu (pronounced: R-roo-sea-us-oo). They even say "Aruseusu" exactly as I described in the Japanese version. So, yeah. . I don't know how to make it clearer, so I'm going to shut up before I ramble.

Adley

Tidiliboo
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    I pronounce it Ar-see-us. Pokemon names are usually said the way they look.

Maesic

It almost sounds like music..
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2013
    At first I always misread it as Acreus, so I'd say Ay-kree-us. xD And then my boyfriend corrected me, so now I say it like Ar-soos, or something.

Years
    Ar-See-Us
    If you have ever faced off against one in PBR, the announcer pronounces it just like that. Also, the Japanese people in the advertisements say 'Ar-u-see-us', not 'Ar-oo-kee-us'.
    So there ya have it :D

Back